More Failed Autos Coming Soon.....

Old April 24th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default More Failed Autos Coming Soon.....

Which once again, points out a lack of training and knowledge on the
instructors part.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:45:47 GMT, Don W
wrote:

Hey Mark,

I don't think they were saying it couldn't be done. Only
that the number of bent R22's increased dramatically when
the temperature got hot ;-)

wrote:
This kinda ticks me off. Are they (Silver State) telling you that if
it is hot and high, that the helicopter can not do an auto? Sure seems
like it. All it tells me is that they do not know how to do them
(instructors). Understanding your machine includes all the conditions
you can encounter. Makes me want to really fly with them.... NOT.

Where I fly now, as part of recurrency, we do full touch down auto's,
hydraulic failure to touch down, stuck pedal also to touch down. Glad
of that and I shake my head when I see it not being a requirement.
Sure you may bang up a bird (I understand the financial impact), but
when the **** hits the fan, you may have just saved 4 or 6 people.

Agreed.

When I taught fixed wing, my requirement was to do spins even though
the FAA did not require it. And depending on the student, I would take
them up in a Citabria and show some limited aerobatics. Was not a
requirement, but everyone of my students gained confidence.

-Mark

I've got about 36 hours in the Citabrias, with my share of
spinning earth and upside down horizon time ;-) I agree
with you that some aerobatic experience is a good confidence
builder. It teaches you that you don't always have to fly
gentle turns with light control inputs.

Don W.

Old April 24th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

No doubt! Its one of the problems with having instructors
who have barely completed their commercial pilots license
and CFI themselves. Unfortunately, this is not at all
unusual in both rotorcraft and fixed wing, as "CFI" seems to
be mostly a way to build the time necessary to get a seat
that pays more instead of a genuine avocation.

Don W.