Replacing PA28 panel dimmer rheostat/position light switch

Old November 29th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Replacing PA28 panel dimmer rheostat/position light switch

Anyone here know how to access and replace/repair the panel dimmer rheostat
in an Archer? It still controls the panel lights OK but does not switch on
the position lights. My best guess is I'll either have to be a
contortionist laying on my back under the instrument panel, or I may need to
remove the bottom radio tray.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old November 29th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel[_4_]

In article , "Mike Noel"
wrote:

Anyone here know how to access and replace/repair the panel dimmer rheostat
in an Archer? It still controls the panel lights OK but does not switch on
the position lights. My best guess is I'll either have to be a
contortionist laying on my back under the instrument panel, or I may need to
remove the bottom radio tray.

I'm just a cherokee owner, and it was pretty much being a contortionist.
At least you get to being laying down (I usually put a moving blanket
on the cabin floor).
Old December 1st 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Mike Noel wrote:
Anyone here know how to access and replace/repair the panel dimmer rheostat
in an Archer? It still controls the panel lights OK but does not switch on
the position lights. My best guess is I'll either have to be a
contortionist laying on my back under the instrument panel, or I may need to
remove the bottom radio tray.

Mike,

Yes, our friends at Piper are quite the sadists. First you need to
disconnect the battery. You will be working with the one and only hot
wire going to the instrument panel for the main switch.

You next need to free the switch assembly from the panel. The 4 screws
in the face are the easy ones. There are also 3 (or 4?) ABOVE the switch
assembly. Generally, you need to remove the bottom radio (or whatever
occupies that space). Once the bottom unit is removed, you either can
access the screws with a stubby Phillips or a 90 degree phillips through
an opening in the tray, or you need to take the screws put of the front
tray mount and try to push it backwards to get access.

After it is free, you then need to push it back and then work under the
panel (upside down) to get the dimmer/switch wiring undone. I believe
the mounting screws are in the front but I cannot remember. The rocker
switch screws are in the front.

There is a used one up for auction on e-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIPER...5fPartsQ5fGear

Good Luck,
Mike
Old December 1st 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Mike Noel wrote:

Anyone here know how to access and replace/repair the panel dimmer rheostat
in an Archer? It still controls the panel lights OK but does not switch on
the position lights. My best guess is I'll either have to be a
contortionist laying on my back under the instrument panel, or I may need to
remove the bottom radio tray.

Mike,

OOPS! I posted too soon. The dimmers are a little tougher to get out
than the rockers. It looks like they need the ring nuts loosened from
the BACK side of the switch assembly and then they slide out. However,
the wiring is all soldered on and both unit's wiring goes to a common
plug in the side of the assembly. Go look at the pictures on e-Bay. What
a bitch!

Mike
Old December 1st 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Mike, Thanks.

--

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
Mike Noel wrote:
[...]

PA28 Light Dimming Rheostat issues [email protected] Owning 7 May 3rd 08 04:46 PM
panel Dimmer Charlie Home Built 6 December 1st 06 08:19 PM
Backlighting/Dimmer Switch Fun -- Cherokee 140 [email protected] Owning 2 February 27th 05 07:39 AM
$429 Dimmer Switch Jay Honeck Owning 54 March 17th 04 12:07 PM
Replacing position light bulbs Mutts Piloting 15 December 30th 03 10:55 PM