Why no remote unlock?

Old March 17th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Why no remote unlock?

I use my plane for family transportation. So the wife and kids don't
see a lot of difference between running out to the plane to go to
Mexico vs. going out to the car. So when the family runs out ahead and
we have the car I hit the remote unlock. The other day my wife asked
why the plane doesn't have a remote unlock. When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

-robert (greetings from remote Mexico)
Old March 17th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I use my plane for family transportation. So the wife and kids don't
see a lot of difference between running out to the plane to go to
Mexico vs. going out to the car. So when the family runs out ahead and
we have the car I hit the remote unlock. The other day my wife asked
why the plane doesn't have a remote unlock. When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

Given a car entertainment system can be had for about $100 and the
equivelant certified for aircraft installation costs $3000, what do
you think remote controlled doors certified for an airplane would cost?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 17th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Robert M. Gary wrote:
When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

Weight. Every pound you spend on a transmitter/computer, door motors,
mechanisms, entertainment systems, A/C, and/or My Little Pony Stickers
and so forth is another pound of fuel you can't carry, another pound of
person you can't carry, another pound of luggage you can't carry.

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 17th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Most cars are already wired for electrically controlled door locks --
adding a simple radio controlled switch to operate in parallel with
the usual switches is easy. Most GA airplanes do not have the door
locks electrically controlled, as best I know. You're talking
extensive and expensive modifications -- just buy an extra key or two.

What's really needed are fancy wheel covers, and a rear view mirror
where we can hang fuzzy dice.

.

Old March 17th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

wrote:

When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

Remote starter could be messy.

Dan Mc

Old March 17th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
I use my plane for family transportation. So the wife and kids don't
see a lot of difference between running out to the plane to go to
Mexico vs. going out to the car. So when the family runs out ahead and
we have the car I hit the remote unlock. The other day my wife asked
why the plane doesn't have a remote unlock. When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

The last two Cessna locks I've encountered could be unlocked by sticking
your thumb over the keyhole and turning it. Perhaps before the can get to
remote-unlock, they can make locks that actually work. The FBO owner says
"Don't worry about it. If somebody wants to break into the plane they will
anyway."

Hmm.

-c

Old March 17th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ash Wyllie

Gig 601XL Builder opined

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I use my plane for family transportation. So the wife and kids don't
see a lot of difference between running out to the plane to go to
Mexico vs. going out to the car. So when the family runs out ahead and
we have the car I hit the remote unlock. The other day my wife asked
why the plane doesn't have a remote unlock. When you think about it;
why not have the same ease-of-use items in the plane as the car.

-robert (greetings from remote Mexico)

Weight.

TSA

Can you imagine the uproar if people learned that airplanes could be unlocked
from a distance?

-ash
Cthulhu in 2008!
Vote the greater evil.

Old March 17th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Ash Wyllie wrote:

Weight.

TSA

Can you imagine the uproar if people learned that airplanes could be unlocked
from a distance?

TSA could care less.
Old March 17th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:14:18 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary wrote:

The other day my wife asked
why the plane doesn't have a remote unlock.

What advantage does a remote unlock offer anyone in the grand scheme of the
universe?

Other than being a fun whiz bang techno gizmo, what's so difficult about
putting a key in a lock and turning it.

--
Dallas

Remote Searching Ideas... Gary Emerson Soaring 1 September 14th 07 10:22 PM
SN-10b w/remote for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 December 14th 06 02:16 AM
Unlock Your Hidden Power, Today... John Products 0 August 1st 06 11:13 AM
Remote Power On Robbie S. Owning 7 March 16th 05 03:33 AM
SN10 Remote BMacLean Soaring 0 August 24th 03 10:32 PM