Checklist for maintenance kit

Old January 18th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Checklist for maintenance kit

I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider,
and landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a
list for the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow
vehicle. I need to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer
between tow vehicles (I use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing
Pneumatic tubing and connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

2NO (yeah ... software guy)
Old January 18th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Nut drivers/adjustable wrench/pliers
Spare wingtip skids
Footpump
Spare tube
Spare tire

Old January 18th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Tuno wrote:

I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider,
and landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a
list for the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow
vehicle. I need to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer
between tow vehicles (I use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing
Pneumatic tubing and connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

Why not just one box that stays in the trailer?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 18th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Also include:

1/4" drive socket set with metric sockets 5mm through 13mm and SAE
sockets 1/4" through 1/2".

25 feet of .032" safety wire.

Small hacksaw, small fine-tooth file
Old January 18th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

You've left out:

Drill and bits
Soldering tool and solder
Trailer lighting repair materials
Volt Ohm Meter (esp w/continuity checker) -- oops, Tuno had it under
"multitester."
Tire/ballast bag repair kit (will duct tape suffice? probably not)
HAMMER.
SAE/metric combo wrenches (for us metal glider drivers)
Needle & Thread (for the FABRIC parts)
400 MPH Tape (REALLY Awesome stuff)
Bondo & hardener (two things that mix together to make awesome
stuff...)
Snake Bite Kit (I prefer the Glenlivet, my buddy prefers Chevas).

-Pete

Old January 18th 09, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

I'm with Eric, I'd leave anything glider related or spares for the
glider in the trailer. We both have the luxury of the 26E trailer
having a large area up front to carry stuff. What you might carry also
depends on what you are doing and how long you'll be away from base.
Personally I'll carry a log of stuff in the trailer and truck. My full
tool set and car spares stay in the car/truck. If I'm out in the great
basin etc. I'll carry things like a full set of belts, hoses and water
pump for the truck, many gallons of water, large capacity jumper
battery, jumper cables, tubeless tyre patch kit, spare oil,
transmission fluid, real factory service manual, heavy duty tow rope,
etc... and a roll of fencing wire. (fencing wire can fix about
anything).

Some other things you might want to consider for the glider are -

- I'm lazy and would carry a 12V compressor in my car/truck rather
than a foot pump. I carry one of the small ones designed for off-road
tire inflation, set up with an small 150PSI tank. Much more heavy
duty than the typical parts store junk. If needed I can charge the
tank and carry it to the glider.

- Tire pressure gauge (get a real quality needle or digital one not
the sliding indicator type).

- Entire spare tailwheel with tire already mounted

- Bicycle spare innertube (to fit wing wheel etc.)

- Bicycle innertube patch kit (for wing wheel, tail dolly wheel, etc.)

- Spare tire valves (spare innertubes may come with them, an extra
spare or two may not hurt)

- Tire valve removal tool

- Spare tire valve caps (replace any plastic crap ones with good
quality ones with a real o-ring seal.)

- Any tools required to adjust the wheel brake (try it to make sure
you have all the right size tools). I would really only bother for
cable brakes. Hydraulic brakes usually stay pretty well adjusted.

- 5 or 15 minute epoxy (I've found this awfully handy for misc
temporary repairs). I'd only use something like an unopened small
syringe type packaging and throw it away after opening so it does not
leak. Replace each year.

- A variety of multimeter leads, including alligator or fine clip on
leads that allow you to use the multimeter hands free while debugging
things.

- Specific adapter leads for multimeter - e.g. make up a set of leads
that allow the multimeter to be pluggged into various things e.g. if
your ship uses Anderson powerpoles then cut up a set of multimeter
cables and put PowerPole plugs on the ends. Carry similar cables or
adapters for any connectors e.g. Powerlet Plugs, various Molex
connects etc.

- Set of hex wrenches (if your glider uses hex headed bolts)

- Set of jewelers screwdrivers

- Bright flashlight (for looking inside things/working in the dark)

- Inspection mirror

- Telescopic magnetic parts picker (for when you drop things down
places they should not be - esp. for motorgliders))

- Claw style parts picker (snap-on make great ones)

- Spare fuse holder (esp for when you drop an end cap and can't find
it)

- Spare TE probe

- Assorted size nylon cable ties

- Spare electric switches

- Small rubber stoppers (suitable for blocking pneumatic instrument
lines).

- Small tip soldering iron and fine rosin core solder (only if stuff
has been soldered - check behind the panel).

- Might also consider a small butane powered iron if operating where
there really is no electricity.

- Long electrical extension cord

- Electrical power strip (I got into a habit of putting one of these
the trailer after seeing things like running out of power outlets for
battery chargers etc at some places.).

- A small flourescent (or LED ?) leadlight (for working at night/under
car etc.)

- 20' or so of wire in each of the different sizes used behind the
panel (hopefully Trefzel (oops that's another thread))

- Spare misc things like instrument mounting screws, etc. all the sort
of things you just collect after a while working on the glider a bit.

- Cloth tape and/or wide wing seal type tape - e.g. some gliders use
this to attach tail wheel fairings and other things. 1" wing tape may
work if needed, but I'd prefer the real cloth tape for some things.

- A can of WD-40

- Loctite 262

- A can of 3M adhesive cleaner

- Spare elestic cord (used for gear doors, engine bay doors, etc.)
and wire to make clips for (I also heatshrink the ends and/or dab with
epoxy to make sure they will not let go.). McMaster stocks a good
variety.

- Lengths of chain and shackles for tying the trailer down (esp. at
places like Minden or Parowan during Monsunal weather).

- Rolls of paper rag

- A tube of hand cleaner

- A small ground sheet or tarp to lie on (more useful for under car)

- Carry stuff in the car or trailer that can help get you out of being
bogged if venturing off-road in a retrieve. e.g. Folding metal blade
shovel, short planks of wood, nylon car tow rope, etc.

- Gettign off topic... Make sure your ground crew have AAA or similar
roadside assistance membership. Lots of navigation help, maps, GPS
etc. Carry lots of water and some survival gear. Consider giving them
a SPOT messenger in case they get stuck or lost.

Darryl
Old January 18th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

In my toolbox:

Spare set of Keys for all vehicles, trailer, hangar, airport gate,
etc.
Small bandages -- I usually nick myself fixing most anything. Gotta
slow down.
Tire plug kit for the trailer tires.

For straightening bent parts of the car or trailer such as fenders
damaged by road debris or off-road excursions, a long "wrecking bar".
Also good for killing rattlesnakes if unarmed.

Hmmm. This trailer's tongue weight is getting a bit heavy!

Burt
Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Old January 18th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Winchester[_2_]

Tuno wrote:
I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider,
and landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a
list for the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow
vehicle. I need to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer
between tow vehicles (I use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing
Pneumatic tubing and connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

2NO (yeah ... software guy)

In addition to all the above, based on at least one incident at the
senior nationals a couple of years ago, bolt cutters and a padlock can
be quite useful.

Ed
Old January 18th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Bourgeois[_2_]

Somebody wrote:

Snake Bite Kit (I prefer the Glenlivet, my buddy prefers Chevas).

To steal a line from W.C.Fields:

"add snake"

Roy

Checklist Larry D. Cosby Piloting 148 March 29th 08 04:10 AM
Checklist use Private Piloting 2 February 12th 08 08:25 PM
Landing Checklist E. Douglas Whitehead Soaring 25 January 7th 06 05:19 PM
747-100 Checklist Bartscher General Aviation 0 December 18th 04 07:20 PM
C-180 100 hr checklist ConchyJoe Owning 1 May 3rd 04 11:53 PM