Checklist for maintenance kit

Old January 18th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

Default Checklist for maintenance kit

On Jan 17, 8:52*pm, Tuno wrote:
I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider,
and landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a
list for the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow
vehicle. I need to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer
between tow vehicles (I use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing
Pneumatic tubing and connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

2NO (yeah ... software guy)

Stop screwing around.
Just bring a spare glider.
See ya, Dave
Old January 18th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 17, 9:18*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Also include:

1/4" drive socket set with metric sockets 5mm through 13mm and SAE
sockets 1/4" through 1/2".

Since you have a metric glider, I'd over-subscribe on the metric
wrenches. If you want to change a tailwheel tire, for instance, you
will need two sockets - one for the bolt end and one for the nut end.
I have always been fortunate to find someone to borrow from, but am
investing in a duplicate set.

I also carry enough electrical stuff to remake most of the connectors
in my panel.

Spare seat pan screws and washers - I don't know how those guys crawl
out of the cockpit, but they do

Spare yaw string

Rubbing and polishing compound and 400-1200 grit sandpaper

Battery-powered electric drill/screwdriver

Spare batteries for everything battery operated (EDS, Pulse/Ox, SPOT,
PDA - and glider of course). Spare glider battery connectors. Keep a
spare EDS battery in the cockpit too.

Instead of a tarp I use a cheap yoga mat (camping bed pads work too)
for taping under the wings in the dirt - it keeps the sharper stones
from sticking to my back.

110V power inverter - how else are you going to run the soldering iron
300 yards from the closest outlet? Radio Shack makes decent, compact
ones.

Ted, you going to post a Word doc with your summary?

Andy
We've wandered into spares and support equipment and away from tools

Old January 23rd 09, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

" wrote in message
:

SNIP
110V power inverter - how else are you going to run the soldering iron
300 yards from the closest outlet? Radio Shack makes decent, compact
ones.

I like the small propane powered soldering pencils. Work great. Even
with a extra small can of propane, it is much lighter, compact, and
versatile than an electric soldering iron and inverter.

Zero One

Old January 23rd 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV[_2_]

I like the small propane powered soldering pencils. Work great. Even
with a extra small can of propane, it is much lighter, compact, and
versatile than an electric soldering iron and inverter.

Butane but, yes, I agree. I like it so much that I use if for
practically all of the light duty soldering that I do - partly because
it heats up so much faster than a standard electric soldering iron. And,
you can take it anywhere - it easily fits in your shirt pocket. See
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/PICS/solder.jpg - the D cell battery
is for a size comparison.

Tony V.
Old January 23rd 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

"TonyV" wrote in message
:

I like the small propane powered soldering pencils. Work great. Even
with a extra small can of propane, it is much lighter, compact, and
versatile than an electric soldering iron and inverter.

Butane but, yes, I agree. I like it so much that I use if for
practically all of the light duty soldering that I do - partly because
it heats up so much faster than a standard electric soldering iron. And,
you can take it anywhere - it easily fits in your shirt pocket. See
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/PICS/solder.jpg - the D cell battery
is for a size comparison.

Tony V.

Yep, Butane. Works like a champ. You have a nice new one. I have been
using my old Radio Shack one for close to 20 years now. Like you,
unless I am in my shop, I prefer to use it.

Larry
Zero One

Old January 24th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Somebody said "just leave it in the trailer."

I would agree, but I have a 1-26 with an OPEN trailer...those tools
would litter the highway...

Yes, I'd love an enclosed trailer. I'd love carbon wings, too.

Eventually I'll weld a semi-water tight toolbox to the trailer, have
it sandblasted and painted.

-Pete

Old January 25th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 23, 3:03*am, "Larry Goddard" wrote:
" wrote in message

:

SNIP

110V power inverter - how else are you going to run the soldering iron
300 yards from the closest outlet? Radio Shack makes decent, compact
ones.

I like the small propane powered soldering pencils. *Work great. *Even
with a extra small can of propane, it is much lighter, compact, and
versatile than an electric soldering iron and inverter.

Zero One

I use the inverter for more than the soldering iron (and it's smaller
than two packs of cigarettes), but the propane iron is a cool
alternative.
Old January 26th 09, 04:50 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider,
and landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a
list for the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow
vehicle. I need to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer
between tow vehicles (I use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing
Pneumatic tubing and connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

2NO (yeah ... software guy)

and.....

1- Dollars, a hundred or so, stashed in a safe place within the toolbox,
2- Rum, whisky, a small bottle, wrapped in a
3- hand towel.

used in conjuction with other stuff mentioned, the above pretty much fixes everything

bagger
Old January 26th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 04:50:06 +0000, bagmaker wrote:

-
I've seen some excellent lists on this forum for the pilot, glider, and
landout/emergency kit. I'm wondering if anyone has developed a list for
the tools, parts & materials to always have in the tow vehicle. I need
to assemble a single toolbox that I can transfer between tow vehicles (I
use a primary and two alternates).

Easy to start with:

Screwdriver(s)
Electrical tape
Wire, wire cutter/crimper, heat shrink tubing Pneumatic tubing and
connectors
Gaffer tape (awesome stuff)
Scissors
Multimeter
Fuses
Yaw string
Extra catheters
Lighter

What am I missing?

Small socket set to suit your glider
Vicegrips/Mole wrench
Needlenose pliers
Telescopic magnetic nut retriever
LED flashlight

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Checklist Larry D. Cosby Piloting 148 March 29th 08 04:10 AM
Checklist use Private Piloting 2 February 12th 08 08:25 PM
Landing Checklist E. Douglas Whitehead Soaring 25 January 7th 06 05:19 PM
747-100 Checklist Bartscher General Aviation 0 December 18th 04 07:20 PM
C-180 100 hr checklist ConchyJoe Owning 1 May 3rd 04 11:53 PM