Alfonso

Old April 27th 16, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Alfonso

After Fonzie stopped showing up a few years ago I have tried to keep up with his well being at least a couple of times a year. My source is friend Walt Cawby's wife Kay who is a good friend of Barbara Estrada who is the widow of Alfonso's uncle Chico. Most of you know all these soaring friends. The last recent report indicates that Fonze is not doing well. Barbara says that on a recent visit she sat and talked with him but was not sure he "was there".

His special friends Al (8H) and Penn (2P) (and Rhonda and Patty) who took such good care of him for his last few years on the circuit may know more details about him but I'm sure they would only share what is appropriate.. I would here like to sincerely thank them for the special love and care they gave our friend Alfonso.
Over the years (the best of my life) I flew many contests and tasks with Fonz and Chicho (E8). They beat me more times than I beat them but man! What fun. I remember all of the wild stories about Fonze and they are true. I was there for almost all. I was surprised nobody mentioned the hairy landing on the median of I-75 just south of Cordele.

Just for fun I just looked on Google Earth at "beautiful" downtown Lockhart, SC. And again saw the "patch" where he once landed. A zillion times on drives from my home near Clemson to yhe Chester Airport I crossed the bridge in the middle of Lockhart and glanced right at the patch in question and thought "how did he do it?"
Old April 29th 16, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5U

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 10:42:20 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update Echo Delta. Great fun. 5U