Sunglasses for soaring

Old September 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sunglasses for soaring

I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.
Thanks,
Jim

Old September 14th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

I have always been xtremely pleased with the performance of Revo lenses.

If you have a chance, I highly recommend giving them a try. I swore by
Serengeti until my instructor passed his Revos to me up front one day and I
was amazed.

Admittedly a little pricey ($250) but I place at least that much value in the
ability to see and avoid and the UV protection for my eyes.

Old September 14th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AlexBerberich

I'm a huge fan of Serengetis, don't think you can go wrong with those.

Old September 14th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

If they are local, why not go there and try out a pair?
I've used nothing else since they hit the market and
were reviewed in Soaring back in the mid-80s. They
can even do tri-focals! You can probably find Serengetis
locally, also. Try them both before you decide.

Old September 14th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 14, 2:06 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote:
I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.

Since sunglass type has only a marginal effect on detecting threatening
aircraft, I'm curious: is this the start of a search for improved
separation from other aircraft, or near the end of it, because your
glider already has in it a transponder, Zaon MRX, and a pilot
well-trained in scanning techniques, ATC communications, and
arrival/departure paths?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4

Even a small effect may be helpful. I have been working on improving
my scanning habits, (which are similar but not identical to scanning
required to stay alive riding a motorcycle, which I've been doing for
36 years) but still often visually pick up traffic that is already
closer than I'd like. One of the local pilots (25 years working
McCarren tower) is also trying to help me learn which directions the
threats are most likely to appear from in what location at which
altitudes.
To answer your question, radio monitoring yes, MRX and Transponder no.
I will add both if and when I can afford to.
Also, I need new sunglasses and thought this would be a good time to
'ping' the RAS for recommendations.

Old September 17th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 14 Sep, 18:13, wrote:
I have heard from time-to-time that Sun Tiger sunglasses work well for
soaring. Since I fly within 30 miles of the 1/10th busiest airport in
the world, anything that will increase my chances of seeing another
aircraft is something I want to take advantage of. It also turns out
that Sun Tigers are local, and not particularly expensive.
Opinions either pro or con are welcomed.

Are Sun Tigers the very bright orange ones? If so, I have heard that
they are good for spotting clouds but that they can make field
selection difficult as crop colours - and hence maturity - are
difficult to distinguish.

I have a couple of pairs of Cloudmasters which I bought after
discussions here years ago: I understand they have excellent UV
protection (which is why I wear them, really) and they are very good
for cloud spotting with little colour distortion.

Ian

Old September 17th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 17, 4:32 am, Ian wrote:
On 14 Sep, 18:13, wrote:

[...]

Field selection isn't much of an issue here. We mostly grow rocks and
sage brush!

Sunglasses [email protected] Soaring 24 May 18th 10 04:32 AM
sunglasses [email protected] Soaring 24 January 22nd 06 04:49 PM
HDL-3CT Sunglasses Icebound Piloting 5 August 18th 05 07:30 AM
Sunglasses? Greg Butler Piloting 17 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
FS: Sunglasses you need Great Deal Aviation Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 04:51 AM