Reflections on a year of aircraft ownership

Old December 6th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jeffrey Bloss

Default Reflections on a year of aircraft ownership

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:43:57 -0800 (PST), Mark wrote:

I've run across a few
pilots who had to make a transition to LSA, which is
something I've had on my mind lately, i.e., buying an
Arion Lightning (138mph cruise), and knowing that I
can fly it for the next 25 years if I'm able.

---

Mark(ie) in misc.writing, you wrote "I'm retired now, having spent my
first 65 years working to make my fortune."

Expect to live and fly to 90, Mark(ie) you lying buffoon?
--
_?_ Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
(@ @) Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old December 7th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

george wrote:
On Dec 5, 7:39 am, Mark wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:03 pm, Ross wrote:

You made a comment about depreciation. Mine did not depreciate. I sold
it this year and even in a down economy I sold it for almost twice what
I bought it for. Not bad. Like I said, it got a OH engine, and during
the time all avionics were OH and I did add a IFR GPS. (No, not any
fancy Garmin item)
I wish I still had it. D*** medical....
--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

What about going LSA?

We have a different set of medical requirements for Microlite/
Ultralites.
A lot of older pilots here who have failed their medicals go flying
microlites

Do you know still have to self "certify" that you are fit to fly? In the
US if you fail your medical you cannot fly LSA. If you let your medical
expire and do not renew it then you can fly LSA. But you still have to
self certify.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old December 7th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Mark wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:49 pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 12/4/2009 10:39 AM, Mark wrote:

On Dec 4, 1:03 pm, Ross wrote:
You made a comment about depreciation. Mine did not depreciate. I sold
it this year and even in a down economy I sold it for almost twice what
I bought it for. Not bad. Like I said, it got a OH engine, and during
the time all avionics were OH and I did add a IFR GPS. (No, not any
fancy Garmin item)
I wish I still had it. D*** medical....
--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Sold
KSWI-
What about going LSA?
---
Mark

LSA requires that you not have had an FAA medical revoked. One can
still fly Ultralights (as defined in Part 103), but the vehicles are
limited (single-seat, no more than 5 gallons of gas, no more than
254lbs, etc.).

This is specific to the U.S. Other countries have different regulations.

Thanks, I knew that, but then I wasn't sure if his
had been revoked or he'd just been inactive and knew
he wouldn't pass a new medical. I've run across a few
pilots who had to make a transition to LSA, which is
something I've had on my mind lately, i.e., buying an
Arion Lightning (138mph cruise), and knowing that I
can fly it for the next 25 years if I'm able.

---
Mark

I let mine expire.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old December 7th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

brian whatcott wrote:
Mike Ash wrote:

So far I do not regret my decision to purchase in the least. /snip/
Money wasn't a worry to me, but it's still something I thought about.
So far, so good. I put 55.4 hours on it over the past year /snip/

All in all, it's been a great year. All of the good things that I
anticipated in owning an aircraft have come true, and none of the bad
things. It was a great choice, and I'm looking forward to another year
with it.

For me it's just been a month or two. A C-150, like I owned 20 years ago
- and had to sell when I was out of work then.
Though this time I paid twice as much as I sold for back then, this
plane is in better shape, though only a year younger than the other one
- in better shape now at least. It had been flown to Dallas from
Wisconsin - which said something for it.

But the trial flight was a trial: water in the pitot, so the ASI was all
over the place - mostly slow - the transponder folded up, the loran (!)
was posted unserviceable, the radio was flakey, the mag compass was out
of fluid, several fixings were missing from the cowl, a floppy external
door handle, a missing ELT antenna.....

All fixed up quite quickly or replaced - at no great expense.
And here I am with ten plus hours of familiarization in it and finding
my comfort level again. Why did I wait so long? I ask myself.

I am full of joy - and though joy may not last for ever, it's enough
to taste it presently... The best moment was turning up unannounced at
the home field, and finding an open front tee hangar to keep it in,at a
price I could afford. The scariest moment to date was looking up the
price of a new door latch from Cessna - $1200 !! (no kidding)
..but there's always another way, even if salvage airframes have largely
gone away as a parts source. The happiest moment is deciding on a sunny
afternoon, to go flying, without much fuss. I am interested to see
what happens at my first annual, in four months: the days of $200
annuals are fading rapidly from memory, I reckon.

Brian W

Depends on the A&P/IA and how much work you want to do. Having done
owner assisted annuals the 12 years I owned my Cessna, I found that
there is a lot of grunt work that has to be done and I did it. I also
learned everything about the inside and outside of my plane. I got my
hands dirty and grease under my finger nails and loved every bit of it.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old December 7th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

brian whatcott wrote:
a wrote:
...what did you figure to be the break
even point between renting and owning something like a C150? My
'indifference point" many years ago (my language for the level of
usage where renting v owning were equal pains in the butt) was about
125 hours a year for a complex single.

The FBO owner mentioned he'd sold his C150 years ago - the customers
were getting too heavy to hold gross with decent fuel, he said.
For my biennial review, it was $150 for a one hour checkout with a
172 and instructor. That was way too much for my taste. But its
strange how $150 seems like nothing when putting another loran in or
whatever, if it's your own plane. There is just no comparison for me. I
expect to do 40 hours a year on up in it....

Brian W

When this group had all the regulars there use to be the AMU. I think it
was aeronautical money unit. It equaled $1000.00. Therefore your $150.00
was only .150 AMU. Doesn't sound so large.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old December 8th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_19_]

Jeffrey Bloss wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:08:17 -0600, Ross wrote:

george wrote:
On Dec 5, 7:39 am, Mark wrote:
On Dec 4, 1:03 pm, Ross wrote:

[...]

This whole LSA medical certification is a nightmare, all this don't
tell-fly crap is absurd. But so is kids flying and they are up in the
skies as well.

I'm not sure whether it is the spirit of the FARs or the regs itself
that say if you know you have a medically limiting condition, then you
should ground yourself from flying anything. Maybe even kites. lol

You forgot to mention being grounded from flying your model aircraft.

Just an oversight was it?
Old December 8th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Ross wrote:
... there use to be the AMU. I think it
was aeronautical money unit. It equaled $1000.00. Therefore your $150.00
was only .150 AMU. Doesn't sound so large.

In a sailboat context, that's 0.15 boatbuck...

Brian W
Old December 8th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Ross wrote:

brian whatcott wrote:
a wrote:
[...]

I've read and heard the AMU referenced in many places outside this
group, so I think it's more widespread than that. Certainly can be
helpful to ease the pain of aviation-related expenses....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old December 9th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_19_]

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:40:06 -0600, brian whatcott
wrote:

In powerboat context..

"BOAT" means.

"Bring On Another Thousand"

I know this, and..

I also know what an "AMU" is...

Dave

Old December 9th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

brian whatcott wrote:
Ross wrote:
... there use to be the AMU. I think it
was aeronautical money unit. It equaled $1000.00. Therefore your
$150.00 was only .150 AMU. Doesn't sound so large.

In a sailboat context, that's 0.15 boatbuck...

Brian W

What kind of sailboat do you own?

--

Regards, Ross