Electronic review of flight?

Old December 20th 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default Electronic review of flight?

On 12/19/05 12:34 PM, in article
, "Al"
wrote:

With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions. Al CFIAMI

I've saved a trip of driving info from my new Lowrance 2000c to the SD card
and my PC and played with the file he
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Very cool. Haven't had a chance to fly and play with the tracks yet.

Odd thing, the GPS track didn't match the Map Create 6 street map that came
with the unit, but when I played with the file on Google Earth, G.E. map
view was was dead on, down to showing the slight curve in my driveway in the
correct relation to the street.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old December 20th 05, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

"Al" wrote in message
news:1135013678.12351f0117238d0d81fe8dc627be130d@r oc.usenetexchange.com...
With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems),
has anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like
all of the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in
instrument instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a
simulator on a pc, this would be a good help answer post flight review
questions. Al CFIAMI

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.appareo.com/

-Mike

Old December 20th 05, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

"Al" writes:

GPS would be great, but how about attitude info?

Have you seen the "HSI simulators" on modern handheld GPS systems? There
is a lot you can do with the data from a GPS, especially if you're just
trying to play back an instrument approach. The attitude can be estimated
fairly well from GPS data unless you're doing loops on the localizer.

I don't know if any of the current systems
offer a USB port or SD card slot for output. It would seem an easy thing to
sample the GPS/Airdata/Ratedata every couple of ms and put it out to a
card/port.

I'm more of a build-it-myself (instead of wait-for-some-manufacturer-to-
want-to-do-it) kind of guy. I use a Garmin module with an RS-232 output.
I also have a Bluetooth GPS. Either could easily go to something like my
Gumstix
http://www.gumstix.com/products.html
which could capture the data to an SD. (I originally bought the Gumstix
to capture cockpit audio for my wife's research project. 'twould be fun
to hook it up to record from the intercom for your application too.)

By the way Kyler, I have for several years enjoyed your sectionals.

I appreciate hearing that. I should be resuming the updates soon. It
took awhile of subscription lapse to learn that people (besides simulator
guys) were using them and I'm working with a sponsor to resubscribe.

--kyler
Old December 20th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

"Mike Murdock" wrote in message
"Al" wrote in message
news:1135013678.12351f0117238d0d81fe8dc627be130d@r oc.usenetexchange.com...
With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems),
has anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like
all of the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in
instrument instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a
simulator on a pc, this would be a good help answer post flight review
questions. Al CFIAMI

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.appareo.com/

-Mike

Yes. The output is exactly what I was thinking of. I was thinking of an
output port on the EFIS systems, maybe even including engine or
configuration information. Something like a mini flight recorder. I had not
considered making it a stand alone unit, but this makes it very flexible.
Use it in any aircraft. Use it on models. Use it where no power supply
exists, like gliders. Heck, tape it to the side of half pipe bicycle riders.
One could use this anywhere things were going to happen quickly, in several
dimensions, and you want know what happened.
Thanks for the link. How did you learn of this?

Al

Old December 20th 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Thanks for the link. How did you learn of this?

Al

I saw it at Oshkosh this year. They had a unit connected to a PC. You
could pick up the unit and rotate it a few degrees, or translate it a few
inches and the PC screen tracked its motion precisely. Very impressive.

-Mike

Old December 21st 05, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

I wrote:

Have you seen the "HSI simulators" on modern handheld GPS systems? There
is a lot you can do with the data from a GPS, especially if you're just
trying to play back an instrument approach. The attitude can be estimated
fairly well from GPS data unless you're doing loops on the localizer.

I've been thinking about this more. It's not so clear to me that attitude
can be estimated well enough to use for evaluating a student's approach.

I'm thinking that the exact problems you're trying to identify (using pitch
vs. power for altitude control, etc.) are going to cause problems for
estimation.

I still think there's a lot of use for GPS-only data and that it's a whole
lot easier to collect than attitude info, but it's not likely to be
sufficient for all that you were wanting.

--kyler
Old December 21st 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

You can absolutely do it. Use a Garmin 296 or 396 during your
flight...download the track into Mapsource software and replay and then
if you want to be really fancy you can plot it on Google earth with
software from this site:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

also check out

http://web.295.ca/gpz550/TrackerGE/

there are some neat samples on both sites

Old December 30th 05, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

The Chelton Flight Logic system logs 19 parameters once every second. Data
is in comma-delimited format, and can be transferred to a data card. I
don't know if there is some way to represent this information in a pictoral
format.

Bernie

Old December 30th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:34:38 +0000, "Al"
wrote:

With all of the new EFIS(Electronic flight Instrumentation Systems), has
anyone seen one that stores the flight path for replay? It looks like all of
the information is there, and this would be a tremendous help in instrument
instructing, or even "pattern review". If downloaded to a simulator on a pc,
this would be a good help answer post flight review questions.

I use my Garmin GPS III Pilot in Little Thumb mode and plot the trail
in OziExplorer, using scanned Jeppesen charts.

See
http://www.panoramix.demon.nl/pics/040220 jep.jpg
http://www.panoramix.demon.nl/pics/040711 IFR.jpg
http://www.panoramix.demon.nl/pics/040714 IFR.jpg

The last one was my IFR checkride one year ago.

Rene

--
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups
Old December 30th 05, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Comma delimited format [ CSV ] should import into EXCEL and
you could graph it as pie or bar charts.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P