Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Old November 12th 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Default Wedekind Sleeve Source?

Kevin, how did this go? Did you buy/install them yet?

-Dirk
ZP
Old November 13th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 5:40:56 PM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
Kevin, how did this go? Did you buy/install them yet?

-Dirk
ZP

Bought sleeves but not installed yet. Looks like the airbrakes may be glued as well as riveted. Trying to get more details from the rep.

Kevin
Old November 14th 15, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Installing Wedekinds requires taking the couplings off the control rods (at least on the gliders I've done) so you either have to work out a way to measure the rod end adjustment before taking them apart and a way to ensure that you have them adjusted exactly the same after reassembly. Alternately you need to check the rigging of the control surfaces and adjust them to the proper deflections when you get it all back together. I know someone who put Wedekinds in his ASW-20 and spent a few years mucking around with the control adjustments because the glider kept rolling whenever he moved the flap lever. Eventually a mechanic in the club convinced him to let him use a digital protractor to set everything to factory spec and it flew perfectly afterwards.

The safety pins, especially if they're the captive type or tethered to the rods aren't that bad to deal with if you have a ship where the connections are easy to reach and see but with a 200/202/400 the Wedekinds are a real blessing.
Old March 3rd 16, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Kevin, checking in to see if you ever installed them. This is still something I'm considering.

Thanks.
-Dirk
Old March 4th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo

The Wederkind sleeves are fairly complicated to install. The Uerling sleeves are pretty darn simple but only work on one type of Hotellier fittings. See http://derosaweb.net/aviation/wedekind/ for details. Good luck.
Old March 4th 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo

I should have been more clear. There are two types of "sleeves" used for L'Hotellier (pronounced "leh-hotel-e-ay") fittings.

- Uerling sleeves referred to above as "White LS Sleeves". These are plastic, only work on straight L'Hotellier fittings and have to be replaced every two years. Simple to install as they just snap into place.

- Wedekind sleeves. These are metal (aluminum and steel parts), work on both straight and right-angle L'Hotellier fittings and are a permanent solution. Difficult to install as you have to 1) remove the push tubes with L'Hotellier fittings from the glider, 2) remove the L'Hotellier fittings from the push tubes (be SURE to measure the overall length beforehand!), 3) figure out the documentation 4) *CAREFULLY* measure, fit and then drill a single hole, 5) reinstall everything, and 6) try not muck up the alignment of the control surfaces. Still, it was worth it.

My $0.02. Best of luck.

John (OHM)
Old March 4th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Sheesh. Captive safety clips for the win. Make 'em yourself or buy from Schempp Hirth. Absolutely zero reason for those over engineered sleeves.

Take the thousand dollars (?) or so you save and put it to a new vario. Email me and I can help you with that too :-).

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 5th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

Certainly the addition of Wedekind sleeves is strictly a convenience issue and the safety clip is perfectly adequate. In my case one pair of connections completely invisible and getting the clips in place was by feel only which could be VERY frustrating on a hot summer day. The price tag was about $200 for the parts which is inexpensive for carefully made (and engineered) safety devices. My $0.02.
Old March 5th 16, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

My first Pegasus had L'Hotellier fittings with safety pins, and the small inspection hole was barely large enough for my forearm, so everything was by feel. I hated it. My second Pegasus had the Wedekind sleeves, and are worth every penny you might spend. Control hookup went from ten minutes and much cursing to about ten seconds.

Old March 5th 16, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 10:22:31 AM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
My first Pegasus had L'Hotellier fittings with safety pins, and the small inspection hole was barely large enough for my forearm, so everything was by feel. I hated it. My second Pegasus had the Wedekind sleeves, and are worth every penny you might spend. Control hookup went from ten minutes and much cursing to about ten seconds.

Perhaps we aren't talking about the same kinds of clips. I hook up, safety and physically test six connections on my ASW-20B with one hand, by feel, in about 90 seconds. Then I inspect by eye which takes about ten more. If the clips are properly installed and tweaked for proper fit, they more or less fall into place.

Here's a photo of a similar installation on a 20A. http://tinyurl.com/zdoprgz

Here are the clips before installation:
http://tinyurl.com/zbjf6nh

Those may be home made (but as far as I know you can also buy from Shempp Hirth).

None of this is to suggest that Wedekind sleeves aren't up to the job or that installing them was a bad idea. I simply wanted to point out that there is a good/fast/cheap option for those so inclined.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8