Filing direct with GPS

Old January 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

Old January 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

The few times I've tried it I've gotten CAF. If it looks like hard IFR I'll
file direct for the IAF for the field I'm shooting for, and then direct to the
field. I don't know if it makes a difference, that's just what I do. I was out
of flying for 15 years (1990-2005) and GPS snuck in while I was gone. Others
probably do it different or better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old January 3rd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?

Yep. You won't get direct in the Northeast. Once you get (say) into
Pennsylvania, heading West, you can ask for and will probably get
direct, but if you're anywhere near the NY Bravo, "fuggehtaboutit"

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old January 3rd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose wrote:

Yep. You won't get direct in the Northeast. Once you get (say) into
Pennsylvania, heading West, you can ask for and will probably get
direct, but if you're anywhere near the NY Bravo, "fuggehtaboutit"

Same is true anywhere near Boston's Class B, too.

--
Peter
Old January 3rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Out of Chicago, I'm usually on radar vectors for half an hour, then
often direct is fine if away from Class B. But a recent trip from Gary
IN to Madison WI was vectors nearly all the way.

Old January 3rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?

In the northeast, not likely. But, what does seem to happen is you
get cleared on airways, and keep getting direct to a fix two waypoints
ahead, effectively cutting off most of the corners.

Old January 3rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

Even though you may not be avle to Fly direct the GPS makes going direct
much easier if given. It also makes flying an airway easier if turns. no
finding the next radial....
Michelle
Old January 3rd 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

Even though you may not be able to Fly direct the GPS makes going direct
Old January 4th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
"pgbnh" wrote:

The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

I've noticed some replies saying "not in the Northeast" and I think what
they really mean is "not if your flight path takes you through one of
the big class B's." Up until a couple years ago I was flying out of
Nashua, NH and can't remember ever *not* getting CAF when flying direct
from there to Buffalo, Bar Harbor, or Caldwell NJ. None of those flights
took me through Boston or NY class B.

Then again things may have changed in the last two or three of years.
Old January 4th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"pgbnh" wrote in message
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun.
But since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few
hundred miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

I always try. Most of the time I get it. Can't hurt to ask, what's the
worst that can happen, you're back on an airway?

Enjoy the 530.