Filing direct with GPS

Old January 8th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

Depends on where you are and the traffic load at the time.

Twenty or more years ago, long before GPS, when I went from central PA
to Dulles or DCA, I filed "Direct" to an intersection just north of
those fields and got it about 70 % of the time.

I was never asked how I was able to make that direct fligh. (I just
followed a radial emanating from DCA or IAD.)

vince norris
Old January 8th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Years ago I was ferrying some old King Airs and other twins
from Wichita to Illinois and other locations. I had a HP
27S scientific calculator that I had programmed for LAT/LON
calculations. I would input my departure and destination
coordinates and get the course. But even without the
calculator. I would look at the chart (in my minds eye) and
ask Center for "heading 250 until receiving Wichita" and was
never denied the request late night. The Controller once
suggested 240, which I accepted, but he came back a little
later with a heading correction to 250.

All direct flights require radar monitoring and if you have
radar, you can get radar vectors or just ask for a heading.
Within or near a center area, they can call up the course.
From NYC area, ask for direct CIN and when you get there ask
for IND, STL, DEN, LAX and you will get it, if the altitude
is high teens/FL. Low is in to many local airspace to
coordinate.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

news | Depends on where you are and the traffic load at the

Old January 9th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:28:02 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"pgbnh" wrote in message

The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun.
But since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few
hundred miles away?

I've been doing that with an old RNAV, but I've been given "direct
when able" with vectors on a plain old VOR. It was Just north of
Detroit, they gave me a heading and that was it. A hand held GPS
with moving map display now makes that a bit more comfortable, but I'd
guess that if you can file direct with the new GPS you probably could
have before the instalation as well.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

The likelihood of that was not changed by the installation of the GNS530.
Whether or not a direct clearance of a few hundred miles distance is
available depends on ATC radar coverage and what lies between your
departure point and destination. If there's a busy terminal or some SUA in
the way you'll have to go around them. If radar monitoring cannot be
provided by ATC you'll be on airways.

Old January 9th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Roger" wrote in message ...

... A hand held GPS
with moving map display now makes that a bit more comfortable, but I'd
guess that if you can file direct with the new GPS you probably could
have before the instalation as well.

No guessing required, Roger.
You're simply correct.

Old January 11th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"DL" wrote in message
nk.net...

Cleared direct to an AIRPORT (with NDB as only navaid there). Radar
contact lost 196 miles out. Was requested to report 175 miles from K---.
Was asked distance out a couple of times before reaching 175 miles. Then
handed to next Center. Was asked to report 125 miles from K--- and asked
a time or two range a time or two before reaching that. Then before
reaching 125 miles, Center reported "radar contact".

Cleared direct to what airport from approximately what point? I ask only
because I'd like to examine the charts to see what proper nonradar routes
could have been issued.

I also had a similar experience with only one of these two Centers,
several years ago and with /A equipment then. When they reported "radar
contact lost" I proactively asked if I needed to proceed to the nearest
airway and they said no - to continue. I e-mailed a controller in another
Center (who frequently posted to this newsgroup) about that experience and
was told it "was done".

Steven, you may be able to speak to the "letter and verse" of the rules,
but you may not know every practice in every center, as seems to be
suggested here.

Those "practices" are controller errors. US ATC facilities are not free to
decide for themselves how they're going to provide services. They're
required to follow the procedures set down in FAA Order 7110.65. I provided
a reference for the procedures covering the situation we're discussing
earlier in this thread.