Storm development and rain

Old June 12th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default Storm development and rain

Is there a good correlation between the appearance of rain in a
developing CB and the point at which the storm reaches its peak? I'm
familiar with the standard three stage picture of thunderstorm
development, and the fact that if significant winds are present a storm
can keep building despite the dissipating effect of rain. The context
of my question is flying near tall cumulus under which strong rain is
falling, but which has not yet developed into a full fledged
thunderstorm. It would seem to me that the rain is dissipating the
energy of the storm and that the storm is unlikely to continue towering
into a thunderstorm (making it safer to skirt closer to).

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old June 12th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Jose wrote in news:lVzbi.3474$bP5.1427
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

Is there a good correlation between the appearance of rain in a
developing CB and the point at which the storm reaches its peak? I'm
familiar with the standard three stage picture of thunderstorm
development, and the fact that if significant winds are present a storm
can keep building despite the dissipating effect of rain. The context
of my question is flying near tall cumulus under which strong rain is
falling, but which has not yet developed into a full fledged
thunderstorm. It would seem to me that the rain is dissipating the
energy of the storm and that the storm is unlikely to continue towering
into a thunderstorm (making it safer to skirt closer to).

Nope, the rain is increasing it by releasing latent heat.

Bertie
Old June 13th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

Nope, the rain is increasing it by releasing latent heat.

Makes sense, yet I'm sure I've seen small storms "rain out." What's happening
then?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old June 13th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

Nope, the rain is increasing it by releasing latent heat.

Makes sense, yet I'm sure I've seen small storms "rain out." What's
happening then?

Not enough energy present to keep them growing. i.e, not enough moisture,
heat or instability.

Bertie
Old June 18th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:08:17 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Jose wrote in news:lVzbi.3474$bP5.1427
:

Is there a good correlation between the appearance of rain in a
developing CB and the point at which the storm reaches its peak? I'm
familiar with the standard three stage picture of thunderstorm
development, and the fact that if significant winds are present a storm
can keep building despite the dissipating effect of rain. The context
of my question is flying near tall cumulus under which strong rain is
falling, but which has not yet developed into a full fledged
thunderstorm. It would seem to me that the rain is dissipating the
energy of the storm and that the storm is unlikely to continue towering
into a thunderstorm (making it safer to skirt closer to).

Nope, the rain is increasing it by releasing latent heat.

Yup. The change of state from vapor to liquid gives off a lot of
energy and from liquid to solid (hail) a LOT more.

Some storms as you said in a later post just don't have enough energy
available to "grow up", and when a mature thunderstorm dies, it may
suddenly lose the strong updrafts that are holding literally hundreds
of thousands of tons of water "up there" and it all comes down at
once.

Bertie

Old June 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:
Yup. The change of state from vapor to liquid gives off a lot of
energy and from liquid to solid (hail) a LOT more.

It's been a (long) while since I've done this stuff, so I had to look the
numbers up. I think you got it backwards -- the vapor to liquid transition
(heat of condensation) is more than the liquid to solid (heat of fusion)
for water.

Heat of condensation: 540 cal/g
Heat of fusion: 80 cal/g

But, by the time you've got a cloud, hasn't the condensation already
happened? I would think there would still be some heat liberated in going
from lots of microscopic water droplets to one big raindrop, but probably
nothing compared to the heat of condensation.