PDA mounts

Old February 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
Mhudson126

Default PDA mounts

As the proud new owner of a PDA (oh yeah and a Discus to go with it), I'm
looking for suggestions on how to mount it in the glider. Where is the best
place to find a mount for it, and how are you running the wires? With all this
"glass" in the cockpit, it's getting harder and harder to remember that the
most important piece of glass resides directly above the insturment panel!

Old February 22nd 04, 03:51 AM
Bill Daniels

"Mhudson126" wrote in message
As the proud new owner of a PDA (oh yeah and a Discus to go with it), I'm
looking for suggestions on how to mount it in the glider. Where is the

best
place to find a mount for it, and how are you running the wires? With all

this
"glass" in the cockpit, it's getting harder and harder to remember that

the
most important piece of glass resides directly above the insturment panel!

Talk to Paul Remde. He's got all the bases covered.

Get one of his little PDA power supplies that efficiently converts 12V from
the glider battery to the PDA voltage. The power cable also is the data
cable - less clutter. Mine powers the PDA and the Volkslogger while
delivering the data from the VL to the PDA.

Bill Daniels

Old February 22nd 04, 04:28 AM
Jim Phoenix

"Bill Daniels" wrote
Talk to Paul Remde. He's got all the bases covered.

Get one of his little PDA power supplies that efficiently converts 12V

from
the glider battery to the PDA voltage. The power cable also is the data
cable - less clutter. Mine powers the PDA and the Volkslogger while
delivering the data from the VL to the PDA.

Bill Daniels

Absolutely agree, installing the PS-5A really helped my installation a lot,
eliminated a number of wires, reduced the battery drain and just generally
clesaned everything up. My Volkslogger feeds NMEA to both the SN-10 and the
iPaq and the PS-5 powers the iPaq and VL just like Bill's, but I ran the VL
through a seperate guarded switch.

Jim

Old February 22nd 04, 03:46 PM
Richard Pfiffner

Please see Craggy Aero for Mounts, Cable Kits and WinPilot. Spring special
on WinPilot until the end of the month.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 22nd 04, 09:42 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

As Bill mentions below, I have a few very good options for. According to
my records, you already bought a power supply from me. If you didn't sell
the PS-5a with your glider, you may want to look at my iPAQ cradles. You
can see details at:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ipaq-cradles.htm If you want a lower cost
solution you can look at the RAM parts at:
http://www.cumlus-soaring.com/ram.htm The high-end iPAQ Cradles are a bit
spendy, but I sell a lot of them because they are very, very nice. I
usually have dozens in stock, but I'm waiting for a shipment to arrive. I
will be able to ship units in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Old May 17th 04, 05:34 AM
Jim Hendrix

I've used the CAI 400 display for a few years. It came with an articulated
mount (two gimble balls) that I attached to an instrument-hole blank. The
motion of the mount, when punching the screen, was agrivating, so I canned
the gimbled arm in favor of three long brass screws with nylon standoffs.
Now it's rigidly fixed to the panel and much less of a distraction.

Jim Hendrix
www.oxaero.com

Old May 17th 04, 09:28 PM
Ian Strachan

In article , Jim Hendrix
writes
I've used the CAI 400 display for a few years. It came with an articulated
mount (two gimble balls) that I attached to an instrument-hole blank. The
motion of the mount, when punching the screen, was agrivating, so I canned
the gimbled arm in favor of three long brass screws with nylon standoffs.
Now it's rigidly fixed to the panel and much less of a distraction.

Conversely my glider mount is rigid and sometimes I cannot see the LCD
well, particularly in bright sunlight (yes, we do occasionally get this
in the UK!). So at the end of this season my syndicate are thinking of
fitting a mount on a ball-joint. The joint will have to be capable of
being pretty well locked, though, to prevent the effect you mention.

In gliders flown by more than one pilot, I am not sure that a fixed
mount is the best solution.

--
Ian Strachan

Bentworth Hall West
Tel: +44 1420 564 195 Bentworth, Alton
Fax: +44 1420 563 140 Hampshire GU34 5LA, ENGLAND

Old May 18th 04, 06:06 AM
tango4

"Ian Strachan" wrote in message
news
In article , Jim Hendrix
writes
[...]

Hi Ian

I did exactly this with a pair of Hama camera ball joints, cost me about £3
each. Works well in the Ventus and I've made a repeat version for the
Nimbus.
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/ph...asp?albumid=29

Ian

Old May 18th 04, 06:16 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have many articulated arm and goosenecks available on my RAM web page at:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ram.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Old May 18th 04, 02:16 PM
iPilot

Hi!

I made similar stuff out of Soligor gooseneck desktop tripod with ball mount. However, I quickly
realised that the stuff wears out rather fast and is unreliable. Therefore I bought mount with two
balls from Ram (RAM-A-101 - some $25 or smthng. from Paul Remde) and the resulting holder is very
rigid, reliable and can be positioned in almost every way I want.

Regards,
Kaido

"tango4" wrote in message ...

[...]

AvMap rail mounts Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 10th 04 01:25 AM
Cowl mounts Javier Henderson Owning 0 March 4th 04 04:18 PM
iPaq wiring, cradles and mounts for gliders - Ideas?? Jim Kelly Soaring 12 December 4th 03 11:45 PM
Commercial - New PDA mounts from RAM Paul Remde Soaring 0 September 11th 03 06:27 AM
KitPlanes - Home Page by Ron Wanttaja RobertR237 Home Built 40 August 12th 03 10:17 PM