Shooting down UAVs

Old October 7th 18, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sierra Whiskey

Default Shooting down UAVs

Not all UAV's, UAS, or "Drones" are bad or even dangerous. It just depends on the application and execution. There are many safety measures that go into launching one of these experimental programs, but as with any experiment there is the inherent risk of failure from which we must learn. (More specific to Government and Commercial Programs as opposed to Private Use UAS)

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/keynotes/ke...e_success.html

Certainly the technology is no where near replacing humans in the cockpit, however humans are subject to their own degree of threats and errors. There are certain places where the technology can be useful and resistance to the technology only impedes the ability to broaden our understanding of the environment in which we live and operate.
Old October 7th 18, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bojack J4

When they sell inexpensive drones at the shopping mall like toys, what do we expect? These kids/people who buy them are in "play with my toy" mode.....not "responsible FAA licensed pilot" mode.

As a former r/c glider pilot (LSF level 4), I've had many high altitude flights and unintentionally gotten sucked up into clouds and lost the sailplane (20+lbs 180 inch wingspans) Yikes! Never really considered the dangers in that at the time. Google the cross country competitions like the Great Race held near Joliet Illinois. Fortunately we were a relatively small in numbers and expensive hobby compared to the numerous and cheap drones of today, and we flew them out away from populated areas (mostly).

To this day it amazes me that r/c sailplanes often get flown at our full-sized sailplane contests right over millions of dollars worth of assembled gliders. But it's an airport environment, right? Never mind battery failure, radio control interference...etc.

Sometimes even FAA pilots don't use their heads while flying their remote control toys. What should we expect from a 15 y.o. boy then?

What a dilemma.
Old October 7th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 7:36:18 AM UTC-5, Bojack J4 wrote:
[...]

In the late 90's I arranged to land my-24 at an RC Glider field near Fayetteville NC during one of their contests (had spoken with their CD prior). Couldn't find the field at first but then spotted the rather big models in the air. I joined their thermal from above and we circled for a while. I then set up a circuit from behind the modelers and landed within their well maintained 500' runway. They were thrilled to have me, never been photographed so much. They came up with silly ideas like putting their rc tow planes in front of my glider: "hey, I wonder if we could tow you back up". When my son came with the trailer they were all over that thing: "I'm going to build me one of these in miniature". I'm still an honorary club member, have the T-shirt to prove it.
Had a great time, no dilemmas.
Herb, J7
Old October 7th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 7:45:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Funny, I landed a helicopter on a RC field once when I had a chip light and some vibrations, no one went out of their way to make me feel welcomed
Old October 9th 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst

The following link was posted on streckenflug.at.
Thought it should be on ras as well.

Ernst

https://www.udayton.edu/blogs/udri/1...in-the-sky.php
Old October 10th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was on tow, passing 1500 feet, when I saw what I thought was another sailplane about a mile ahead of us. Thought it was not a factor, but then the tow pilot kicked right rudder. Was wondering why he did that, when I saw a 10 foot model sailplane headed straight for my left wing! I rolled 90 degrees right and In a heartbeat, it passed within one wingspan of my head! The next morning I attended the AMA pilot meeting and discussed the incident. They were holding their national model soaring championships. They winch launched the models up to several hundred feet, then take off on course. Task that day was 15 miles with 2 turnpoints. Each pilot had a driver, spotter with the pilot seated in a recliner chair strapped in the back of a pickup. These guys are serious competitors! Hope the new rules don't put an end to a fascinating endeavor.
JJ

UAVs GM Soaring 2 January 15th 11 05:43 PM
Can't US use UAVs & hi-tech against pirates ? [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 09 12:45 AM
More UAVs to dodge. Gig 601Xl Builder Piloting 4 May 8th 08 11:58 AM
UAVs - a growing midair concern? jcarlyle Soaring 11 April 14th 08 11:39 AM
Camouflaged UAVs??? Neil Gould Piloting 0 August 28th 07 02:08 PM