GPS week rollover issue

Old February 7th 19, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default GPS week rollover issue

I asked the Canadian dealer, Solaire Canada. He asked FLARM Technology. He just got back: "We have confirmed with the manufacturer of our GPS receiver modules (u-blox) that they handle the GPS week rollover event on April 6th 2019 correctly. We thus do not expect any issues on that date. This applies to all Classic and PowerFLARM devices, as well as OEM devices using a u-blox GPS receiver." So, no worries for PowerFLARMs and rollover.
Cheers
Old February 7th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

All ClearNav products are expected to handle the GPS Epoch rollover with no issues.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman for ClearNav Instruments

Old February 7th 19, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 11:58:29 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
All ClearNav products are expected to handle the GPS Epoch rollover with no issues.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman for ClearNav Instruments

Thanks Evan!
Old February 8th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 8:57:31 PM UTC-6, Bruce Hoult wrote:

I'm guessing that will be the final end of my 1994 Cambridge Model 10. (It's already had the battery replaced, of course)

Nah, Bruce. I bet if your GPS battery is still good, it will survive this one the same way it survived the first one. The problems didn't show up immediately on the first roll-over. They showed up when the old GPS batteries started to age out. At least, that is what I remember. May need to replace my memory battery. :-)

At least, that is my current gamble. Just mailed 4 Model 20s to Gary to get that GPS battery replaced!

Steve Leonard

Old February 9th 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 2/6/19 7:57 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 9:00:44 AM UTC-8, Jonathan Foster wrote:
I just came across this interesting page: https://www.orolia.com/resources/blo...-you-need-know

On April 6th of this year the GPS week will roll over and on some older instruments it could mess up the date. How many of our soaring instruments might have this problem?

I'm guessing that will be the final end of my 1994 Cambridge Model 10. (It's already had the battery replaced, of course)

I've got a 1996 era Garmin backpacker gps still holding the correct
date. Internal battery was replaced under warranty about 22 years ago.

I'd be surprised if it suddenly got the wrong date on April 6, but
really doesn't matter anyway. Lots of old Volksloggers got hit with the
date problem, maybe they'd be more subject to failure if any of them are
still in use.
Old February 9th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

wrote:
I just came across this interesting page:

https://www.orolia.com/resources/blo...gps-2019-week-

rollover-what-you-need-know

On April 6th of this year the GPS week will roll over and on some

older
instruments it could mess up the date. How many of our soaring

instruments
might have this problem?

I'm guessing that will be the final end of my 1994 Cambridge Model 10.

(It's already had the battery replaced, of course)

I've got a 1996 era Garmin backpacker gps still holding the correct
date. Internal battery was replaced under warranty about 22 years ago.

I'd be surprised if it suddenly got the wrong date on April 6, but
really doesn't matter anyway. Lots of old Volksloggers got hit with the
date problem, maybe they'd be more subject to failure if any of them are
still in use.

Most of the Volksloggers were made with the Garmin GPS25 Engine, same as
legacy Cambridge.

Old February 9th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

One rollover problem the Volkslogger doesn't have is due to the robust chassis.
It makes a good wheel chock.
Jim
Old February 9th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

wrote:
[...]

But not all GPS25's were the same, depends on what firmware was loaded.
Here's a more comprehensive article, at the very end it talks about some
1999 related failures that got kicked down the road many years based on
firmware.

https://www.gps.gov/governance/advis...-11/powers.pdf

In the unlikely event you're able to update firmware in a GPS engine,
that should be done prior to April.

-Dave

Old February 10th 19, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

wrote:
[...]

At least the Volksloggers put out actual IGC files. The Models 10, 20,
and 25 should have been relegated to wheel chock duty long before the
Volksloggers.