"View Limiting Device" recommendations please

Old January 15th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr, rec.aviation.student

Default "View Limiting Device" recommendations please

I've been working on that elusive instrument rating for awhile now,
but I still haven't come up with a very good solution for my view
limiting device.

I need to wear glasses for reading (charts), but otherwise I see just
fine. I wear progressive lenses (for presbyopia) that vary from a
diopter of 2.5 on the bottom to almost no correction on the top. Most
"devices" only let you see out of the bottom of your glasses, which
works for reading but then the panel is blurry. I have to remove the
entire contraption if I want to see the "runway environment".

I've tried foggles, and a "real" wraparound hood. The hood seems to
work the best, but I get a "crushing" headache from wearing the
headset, hood, and glasses. Maybe it's because it's an old style that
clamps around you head!

I've noticed some alternatives on the market including; Overcasters,
Hoodwinks, and one called Viban.

Have any of you had success with a particular type of hood? I would
be very interested to hear your opinions, especially if you also wear
progressive or bifocal lens glasses.

Thanks!

Steve Job
Old January 15th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr, rec.aviation.student
VH-UNR

A jiffy hood works a treat for me, you can get them quite light, but
they do take a bit of getting used to.

http://www.downunderpilotshop.com.au...od-p-1171.html

they look stupid, but help greatly
Old January 15th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
BT

http://www.asa2fly.com/Jiffyhood-P167_product1.aspx

This is what I have always used..
I wear contacts for distant vision, need reader cheaters for charts.
I put the jiffy hood on before the headset, can easily be pushed up on the
forehead when I really need to see outside.
Never had a headache from the hood.
BT

Old January 15th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Ron Garret

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I once got one of these:

http://www.goodglasses.com/index.cfm...t/6010/subcati
d/35404/id/296084

cut out rectangular windows in the appropriate places, and wrapped the
rest with masking tape. Worked like a charm, and since you're cutting
the view port yourself you can make it big enough to uncover part of the
distance-viewing portion of your glasses.

You might also try these:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....1446&CATID=172

They are what I use now (but I don't wear bifocals -- yet.)

rg
Old January 15th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
tscottme

I used the already listed devices during training. I've also used something
that looks like this http://tinyurl.com/336cwb except that it attached to
the headset rather than were worn like glasses over you ear. I think that
device was called Hoodlamb or something.
--

Scott

Growing corn to make ethanol to fuel a car is like heating your house by
burning money in your fireplace. Yes, it can be done but it makes no
economic sense.
"Ron Garret" wrote in message
In article
,

Old January 15th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Jim Carter[_1_]

Years ago before Jespersen bought them out, Sanderson used to make a hood
that had adjustable had straps - looked a lot like a crew O2 mask. I used
one of those for years with folks that had glasses (bifocals back then). The
closest thing I see to that device today is
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../superhood.php

The Sanderson hood was almost 15" long and gave a tunnel view of everything
in the cockpit. I could tell if the student was scanning the panel because
to see everything he or she had to move their head slightly. That was the
only drawback, having such a restricted view. This new one doesn't seem that
narrow however.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old January 15th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
akjcbkJA

In England, the hood type devices are not allowed for serious instrument
training or checkrides.

The aircraft have to be fitted with a sort of venetian blind which
completely blocks out the outside world to the trainee/applicant but al lows
the instructor/examiner a full view.

In practice they are really good as the head is not restricted, there is no
scope to peak either. A bit expensive as they tend to be fitted to
Instrument training aircraft although I have seen some removable versions.

Old January 15th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 01/15/08 10:16, akjcbkJA wrote:
In England, the hood type devices are not allowed for serious instrument
training or checkrides.

The aircraft have to be fitted with a sort of venetian blind which
completely blocks out the outside world to the trainee/applicant but al lows
the instructor/examiner a full view.

Of course, during instrument training the instructor should take full
responsibility for see and avoid. However, during my training if the
CFII was unable to spot the conflicting aircraft and it was getting close,
I came out from under the hood and looked for it. IMHO, the safety of
the flight was far more important than staying under the hood and not
helping.

Usually, I spotted it within a few seconds and just went back under
the hood.

I wouldn't care for any system that prevented me from being able to
do that.

In practice they are really good as the head is not restricted, there is no
scope to peak either. A bit expensive as they tend to be fitted to
Instrument training aircraft although I have seen some removable versions.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old January 15th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

Of course, during instrument training the instructor should take full
responsibility for see and avoid. However, during my training if the
CFII was unable to spot the conflicting aircraft and it was getting close,
I came out from under the hood and looked for it. IMHO, the safety of
the flight was far more important than staying under the hood and not
helping.

Besides the risk of injury or death, you're also PIC.

Usually, I spotted it within a few seconds and just went back under
the hood.

I wouldn't care for any system that prevented me from being able to
do that.

Same here, and I've only had to help twice, but I'm glad we don't have
to completely block the left front corner of the cockpit.

On a side note, the CRM method I set it up with safety pilots and
instructors, as well as suggest when I'm acting as safety pilot, is that
the person looking will also answer the ATC traffic calls themselves.
The flying pilot will still do all the normal IFR radio stuff, but this
simplifies internal cockpit comms.