Raptor Smurfs again!!!

Old August 21st 04, 11:13 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:37:02 +1000, John Cook
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:48:42 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

I think you were pretty close back in April....

Believe they are indeed 'supplementary' flight control surfaces. The
aircraft appears to be at a relatively high AOA based on the leading edge
devices. Coupled with the rather significant deflection of the 'rudders'
and 'ailerons' it seems that we're seeing a picture of the aircraft in a
fairly high performance posture (roll to the right?).

This was the exact reason I posted it!!, I would assume it cocks the
low RCS right up when the fence/air spill panel is open. that said, it
is ontop of the airframe so its exposure to a _single_ enemy would be
minor.

Whats the usual reasons for having such a panel?, is it to stop
umwanted airflow on the air spill port at High AoA, it seems (to my
untrained eye) to be a bit of a hack on a stealth aircraft!

They were even there on the prototypes so I'm inclined to think it's
not so much a hack as it is a solution to an unusual problem. The
fact that they're rotated 90s from those on the prototypes suggests
that the area got a lot of attention during developement and it
apparently still seemed the best way to go. The dogtooth on the
Eagle's horizontal stab and the fences on the Hornet's strakes are
hacks. The spoilers on the F-22 seem to have been there from the very
beginning.
Old September 20th 04, 03:43 PM
Guinnog65

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
news

"John Keeney" wrote in message

"John Cook" wrote in message

snip

So there we are! could RAM owe an apology to Mr Tarver???.

On what subject and grounds?

Having had the Tarvernaut killfiled for quite some time now (oh, joyful
solitude!), I can't help but notice that it has been quite a while since I
saw any of his rants secondhand--did his ISP finally pull the plug on him
after too many abuse complaints?

He hasn't posted on Usenet in quite a while, as I notice you yourself
observed as recently as the 6th September in another thread on this NG.

Last post I can find from him is 28th April.

Hope he is ok; for all his silliness, he was instant entertainment. And a
damn sight more interesting than all the Bush/Kerry/Vietnam/Purple Heart bs
we seem to get these days...