Garmin 396 Glitch??

Old November 10th 05, 09:17 PM
hughes

Default Garmin 396 Glitch??

I had my gall bladder removed in the meantime !! sorry my answer took
so long ! Here is the link to get the software
update:http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=889
First you've got to click on " I agree etc.." it will take you to a
page where you'll download the patch; On this same page you have a very
detailed description on what the update patch is for. Once you've got
your updtae saved on your computer,connect your 296 to your PC ( cable
was supplied when you bought your 296) and just follow the instruction.
You'll see: it workd really great once the update is made.

Regards

Old November 11th 05, 01:43 AM
Jonathan Goodish

Default Garmin 396 Glitch - major update

In article 1131633301.948148@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler
wrote:
For the kind of weather avoidance I need, I'm not convinced the differences
are
significant. I'm going to treat any kind of weather radar return pretty much
the
same, and assume there are errors in the presentation.

If you're going to do that, why even have weather uplink? It's only
good if you can trust it, at least to some level.

I have a 396, and I've taken a demo ride in an ADS-B equipped airplane. To my
eyes, the weather presentation is about equivalent. Maybe I'm not as
discriminating as you are. NCDOT is sponsoring some ADS-B equipped private
aircraft, and the price of admission is that you have to put on some seminars
and give people demonstration rides. Check the NCDOT web site for
announcements
of seminars and demos.

What are we comparing, NEXRAD? NEXRAD is only a fraction of the XM
weather products, and is often not the most useful in my experience.
I'm not sure what else ADS-B provides, but I suspect that it doesn't
provide as comprehensive a picture as the XM systems.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gdl90/

A GDL90 and an MX20 display is all you need. About $15K. Available today on
the
east coast. No subscription fees.

The receiver is $8,000 without installation. I'd have to pay $50/month
for more than 10 years just to break even on the receiver hardware
alone, excluding installation, and excluding the MX20 and GPS (doesn't
make sense to do one without the other). Doesn't seem like a good deal
to me if all I want is weather. For the record, it's more than the
GLD69 which, at $5,000 for the hardware, also isn't a great deal when
you can buy the GPSmap 396 for $2,500 and have a backup GPS to boot.

Mode-S TIS was a chimera. TIS-B (the traffic component of ADS-B) is available
wherever ADS-B is available. Nobody knows where that will be or what the
rollout
schedule will be.

Thanks for making my point for me regarding ADS-B.

JKG
Old November 11th 05, 05:03 PM
Dave Butler

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Thanks for making my point for me regarding ADS-B.

You're welcome. You seem surprised, as if we were engaged in some kind of
competition to see who's right, or something. Chill. I think I pretty much
agreed with most of the things you said.

Dave
Old November 11th 05, 05:13 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article 1131728434.247226@sj-nntpcache-5, Dave Butler
wrote:
Thanks for making my point for me regarding ADS-B.

You're welcome. You seem surprised, as if we were engaged in some kind of
competition to see who's right, or something. Chill. I think I pretty much
agreed with most of the things you said.

As far as I can tell, you injected yourself into this thread. My points
were in response to the assertions made by the original poster.

JKG
Old November 11th 05, 06:25 PM
Dave Butler

wrote:

Thanks for making my point for me regarding ADS-B.

You're welcome. You seem surprised, as if we were engaged in some kind of
competition to see who's right, or something. Chill. I think I pretty much
agreed with most of the things you said.

As far as I can tell, you injected yourself into this thread. My points
were in response to the assertions made by the original poster.

Sorry to bother you. I was operating under the delusion that this was a public
forum.

Next time you're responding to someone other than me, please don't intersperse
your responses within the text that I wrote.

Thanks.

Dave
Old November 11th 05, 08:13 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article 1131733984.46967@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler
wrote:
Sorry to bother you. I was operating under the delusion that this was a
public
forum.

Next time you're responding to someone other than me, please don't
intersperse
your responses within the text that I wrote.

My comments were equally applicable to what you wrote, which is why I
responded to your post. If you can't take the heat...

JKG
Old November 11th 05, 08:19 PM
Dave Butler

wrote:

Sorry to bother you. I was operating under the delusion that this was a
public
forum.

Next time you're responding to someone other than me, please don't
intersperse
your responses within the text that I wrote.

My comments were equally applicable to what you wrote, which is why I
responded to your post. If you can't take the heat...

What kind of drugs are you on? Better scale back the dose. Reread the thread.
You make no sense. Out.

Garmin 396 Glitch?? Jeff B Piloting 55 November 11th 05 08:19 PM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry Piloting 2 January 11th 05 09:11 PM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry General Aviation 0 January 11th 05 06:27 AM
Garmin 96c glitch? Barry Rotorcraft 0 January 11th 05 06:24 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM