Cobra Trailer - tail light cover

Old February 4th 05, 03:28 PM
Thomas Milko

Default Cobra Trailer - tail light cover

Can anyone give me an idea where to buy in the USA
the square tail light cover, my cobra trailer is year
2000.

Tks,

Thomas

Old February 6th 05, 03:16 PM
bumper

Give John Murray (Eastern Sailplane) a call.

You might consider converting the tail/brake lights to LED fixtures. Besides
longevity, they provide a safety bonus due to their visibility and fast rise
time.

If you're going to the SSA convention, my trailer (ZZ) will be on the floor
so you can check out a LED conversion. I plan on having a small control box
attached so people can self-demo LED lighting and the 3rd brake light at the
top of the fin.

The LED fixtures I used cost (Maxxima 56 LED) cost about $29 each. Shame I
threw away two of the original Cobra light fixtures last year, you'd have
been welcome to them (g).

bumper

Old February 6th 05, 03:38 PM
chipsoars

What LED fixtures did you use and where did you get them?

I'm also thinking about a high mounted brake light. Anyone done that?

Chip F.

Old February 7th 05, 05:59 AM
bumper

"chipsoars" wrote in message
oups.com...
What LED fixtures did you use and where did you get them?

I'm also thinking about a high mounted brake light. Anyone done that?

Chip F.

Chip,

I got them from

http://www.partssystems.com/shop/pro...y_id=LED%20STT

I used the 4" round, 56 LED fixtures (you also have to order the pigtail or
plug and a rubber gasket flange mount) for the tail/turn/brake lights. An
over unit was used for the 3rd brake light on the upper fin.

Note that since the back surface of the Cobra fin (at least on my aluminum
top) is angled forward slightly, it is necessary to make a wedge so the fin
light fixture is perpendicular to the ground. This is because LED light
fixtures typically have a narrower beam angle than incandescent fixtures.

I used a small relay for the "logic" circuit (the NO contact of the relay is
supplied by one turn signal and the power to the relay coil comes from the
other - - thus if both tail lights are on at the same time, the fin brake
light comes on). They sell a module for this, but it is really just a couple
of isolation diodes. Problem with using diodes is you lose about .7 volts
across the diode. Like Eric Greenwell, I also added two side LED turn/brake
lights right above where Cobra puts the side marker lights, but on the
clamshell part, an amber one mid-span and a red one near the rear.

BTW, the difference in light intensity and especially the "attention
getting" rise time of the LED brake lights is remarkable. My light upgrade
project was spawned by this overwhelming fear that some unwed welfare mother
with no insurance would torpedo my trailer from behind (g).

all the best,

bumper

Old February 7th 05, 02:18 PM
Udo Rumpf

My light upgrade
project was spawned by this overwhelming fear that some unwed welfare
mother with no insurance would torpedo my trailer from behind (g).

all the best,

bumper

Good project.
Not fear but concern a wedded father, that is talking on a cell phone,
slams
into the trailer. Mostly for the inconvenience it entails, as I am covered
by my insurance.
Trailer, glider and all. I am sure I have nothing to fear from a single
parent.
Udo

Old February 7th 05, 03:46 PM
Raphael Warshaw

You might consider "DOT Tape", the reflective tape on the side of all US
semi-trailers. It's cheaper than new lights and really increases
visibility. You can use the clamshell seam as an installation guide.

It's worth noting, however, that, in spite of the new LED lights, shiny rear
doors, and DOT tape, the most common accident between a big rig and a
passenger vehicle still involves the car hitting the truck from behind. I'd
be interested in knowing how many glider trailers have been rear-ended in
the last ten years. Please post to me directly if you've had such an
accident. Perhaps our insurers have some data.

BTW, I've always assumed we were covered for this by the glider policy if a
driver who hit us was uninsured. Is this so? If not, is it an available
add-on?

Ray Warshaw
1LK

.. .

Old February 7th 05, 04:12 PM
Udo Rumpf

BTW, I've always assumed we were covered for this by the glider policy if
a driver who hit us was uninsured. Is this so? If not, is it an
available add-on?

Ray Warshaw
1LK

I am Insured with the Glider policy. I made a point, for a relative small
amount, of taken out an add on for the trailer as part of the policy.
It then becomes a global policy that covers trailer in storage, while
being towed, theft and vandalism.
Udo

Old February 7th 05, 06:38 PM
goneill

Not seeing the end of the trailer is not limited to the US
My trailer was recently rear ended and to fix is going to cost
$2000 ,the guy was clearly in the wrong was ticketed and
said he had insurance and when contacted later gave me the
blow off. Lucky the ASW20 was at the airfield not in the trailer.
gary
"Raphael Warshaw" wrote in message
You might consider "DOT Tape", the reflective tape on the side of all US
semi-trailers. It's cheaper than new lights and really increases
visibility. You can use the clamshell seam as an installation guide.

It's worth noting, however, that, in spite of the new LED lights, shiny
rear doors, and DOT tape, the most common accident between a big rig and a
passenger vehicle still involves the car hitting the truck from behind.
I'd be interested in knowing how many glider trailers have been rear-ended
in the last ten years. Please post to me directly if you've had such an
accident. Perhaps our insurers have some data.

BTW, I've always assumed we were covered for this by the glider policy if
a driver who hit us was uninsured. Is this so? If not, is it an
available add-on?

Ray Warshaw
1LK

.. .

Old February 8th 05, 01:48 AM
Bob Korves

I work in the trucking industry and the lights bumper is referring to are
now in widespread use on trucks. This has brought the prices down, which
has further stimulated sales, which has brought the prices down further,
which has...

The Maxxima lights that bumper has were the best deal on the market a year
or two ago. That has changed several times since. We are currently selling
red 4" (100 mm) LED stop and tail lights for rubber mounting for under $15
U.S. each. These are Grote units, with fewer but brighter LED's. Amber
units cost more. There are also numerous styles of LED clearance lights
available now, as well as white LED back-up and dome lights.

Beyond the relatively instant time it takes for these lights to turn on,
there is also the advantage of virtually unlimited life (many are guaranteed
forever against burn-out). The biggest advantage, however, is surely the
low current draw and low voltage tolerance of these lights. When the tail
lights are perhaps 15-20 meters and several poorly maintained connectors
from the alternator and battery, traditional lights look like weak candles.
The LED lights work just fine. After all, they were designed for use at the
back of 2 or 3 long trailers.

The people in the trucking industry use LED lights mostly because they
reduce maintenance to a small fraction of traditional lights.
-Bob Korves

"bumper" wrote in message

oups.com...