Major McSally takes command :)

Old May 4th 04, 10:43 AM
Cub Driver

Default Major McSally takes command :)

This from the Aero-News Propwash email newsletter this morning:

USAF Names First Female To Command Combat Squadron
And You'll Never Guess...

The 354th Fighter
Squadron, based at Arizona's Davis-Monthan AFB, has a new
commander: Lt. Col. Martha McSally.

If that name rings familiar, you might remember that the 38-year
old McSally sued the Pentagon three years ago because, while in
Saudi Arabia, the military made her wear Muslim religious garb --
called abayas -- so as not to offend the locals.

That offended McSally's Christian sensibilities and, she said,
was unnecessary. Other US women serving in Saudi Arabia --
diplomats and office workers -- didn't have to comply with the
order.

McSally becomes the first woman to command a combat squadron.
The 354th conducts A-10 operations in both Afhganistan and Iraq.
But that's nothing new to McSally. She's used to being the
first.

In 1994, she was the first female USAF pilot to conduct combat
operations.
FMI: www.af.mil

For the WHOLE story, go to
http://www.aero-news.net/news/milita...a-2f6a92f465e8

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old May 5th 04, 07:02 PM
Matt Wiser

I seem to remember some folks on this NG saying her career was done after
that lawsuit. Now how soon will the Navy get a female carrier squadron CO?

************************************************* *****

Old May 5th 04, 11:51 PM
Leslie Swartz

No, Matt, if she were a MAN here career would have been over. In today's
military, she'll be 0-6 BTZ and more than likely a one-button within the
next five years.

"Equal" opportunity doncha know.

Steve Swartz

Cub Driver wrote:

[...]

http://www.aero-news.net/news/milita...b5e06-fd6b-432

5-90da-2f6a92f465e8

************************************************* *****

Old May 6th 04, 03:29 PM
BUFDRVR

McSally becomes the first woman to command a combat squadron.

Not 100% true. In 1994 I had to wake up extra early to be on "Good Morning
America" with our new squadron commander (a woman) who was being hailed as the
"first woman to command a combat squadron". Now, granted, we were a Minuteman
III ICBM squadron, but we were still considered a combat (designated as Combat
Crews) unit.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old May 6th 04, 11:45 PM
BUFDRVR

Ahh, those were the days. The development of the "Combat Crew" badge
to provide dignity to the non-combatants in the holes of the great
American prairies.

I would think you'de be glad the missileers were "non-combatants" throughout
their history.

Never saw one on an aircrew uniform at least in the
Unified commands.

You only wore them on your blues, and if I remember right, I saw at least one
aircrew member with blues on wearing it.

And the missile badge, predecessor of the current generation fixation
with a badge for every specialty.

Its a good thing you're not in today Ed, even the "lowly missileers" wear
flight suits. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone cares what the
hell anyone else is wearing.....

SAC's
missiles pointed upward, ours fired horizontally. We actually got to
shoot ours.

You wouldn't be typing this if SAC got to shoot theirs.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old May 7th 04, 01:53 AM
Tom Swift

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
You wouldn't be typing this if SAC got to shoot theirs.

BUFDRVR

It is always a truism, that those who couldn't hack it and be in SAC were
the most vociferous in their criticism.

Old May 7th 04, 10:20 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 06 May 2004 14:54:45 -0600, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

For a while at Nellis we wanted to all wear missileer badges--only we
were going to wear them horizontally just below our wings.

Fighter pilots do like to get into trouble on their days off, don't
they?

Old May 7th 04, 11:30 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

BUFDRVR wrote:
SAC's missiles pointed upward, ours fired horizontally. We
actually got to shoot ours.

You wouldn't be typing this if SAC got to shoot theirs.

What's that old squadron song? "Will I Go Boom Today"?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old May 7th 04, 01:39 PM
Jeff Crowell

Cub Driver wrote:
Fighter pilots do like to get into trouble on their days off, don't
they?

Heh. Not that I was ever a fighter pilot, but...

I do remember foindly the time I got thrown out of an Air
Farce O-Club because a particularly stuffy general took a
disliking to my and my buds' Scarves, Flying, Field
Expedient, Type I ( an appropriate length of toilet paper,
wrapped round our necks). Hell, everyone else in the
place had a scarf on at Happy Hour, and at least our
zoombags showed some sign of having been worn to fly
that day.

Jeff