Typical glider & trailer total weight?

Old February 6th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden[_2_]

Default Typical glider & trailer total weight?

What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and will buy one that I could use if I
crew for someone or to move our club gliders around. Gliders that I
have moved around range from 450 to 850 pounds. I don't own a glider
myself so I've don't know what the trailers weigh. What's the weight
range for typical fiberglass or metal-frame-aluminum-skin glider
trailer?

(I've seen lots of discussion on RAS about towing in general... not
asking for vehicle or towing advice.)

Thanks in advance.
Old February 6th 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Feb 5, 8:59*pm, Roger Worden wrote:
What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and will buy one that I could use if I
crew for someone or to move our club gliders around. Gliders that I
have moved around range from 450 to 850 pounds. I don't own a glider
myself so I've don't know what the trailers weigh. What's the weight
range for typical fiberglass or metal-frame-aluminum-skin glider
trailer?

(I've seen lots of discussion on RAS about towing in general... not
asking for vehicle or towing advice.)

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it's typical, but my Komet Trailer with my Speed Astir
in it weighs 1,876 pounds. The Speed Astir is 630 pounds.
Old February 6th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Roger,

You saw my LS1-d and Swan trailer at Cordele last year. I took it to
a truck stop that had truck scales and weighed the loaded trailer. I
had just about all the stuff in the trailer that I would have for a
contest: glider, wing stand, tow-out equipment, tail dolly, small
tool box with a few tools, bucket, wheel chocks, folding chair, spare
tire for trailer, tie-down stakes, a couple gallons of water, etc,
etc.

At the truck stop, I pulled the trailer up onto the scales,
disconnected and drove the car off of the scales. The truck scales
have four or five separate concrete pads where you can place different
axles, such as the tractor's front axles on one pad, rear double axles
on another pad, trailer double axle on yet another pad, etc, etc. I
placed the trailer axle (tires) on one pad and the front jack on
another pad and set the trailer level to approximate the level when in
tow.

Results: Total weight 2,040 lbs.
Tongue Weight 180 lbs.

To say the least, I was flabbergasted. I had thought it might be
around 1,500 lbs.

Oh, yea. Cost of using the scales: US$8.00

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old February 6th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
qflyer1

On Feb 5, 11:59*pm, Roger Worden wrote:
What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and will buy one that I could use if I
crew for someone or to move our club gliders around. Gliders that I
have moved around range from 450 to 850 pounds. I don't own a glider
myself so I've don't know what the trailers weigh. What's the weight
range for typical fiberglass or metal-frame-aluminum-skin glider
trailer?

(I've seen lots of discussion on RAS about towing in general... not
asking for vehicle or towing advice.)

Thanks in advance.

1900 with glass 15meter, avionic trailer, extra gear.

Tim
Old February 6th 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Roger,

Lightest enclosed trailer would probably be a Schreder tube trailer.
Empty, they can be as light as about 700 lbs for a 15 meter ship.
Fixtures, stands, etc will add to this. Next up the line would be a
Minden Fab or SST tube. These are a bit heavier because of the wooden
floor (Schreder trailer has an aluminum floor). Probably 800-850 at
the very least. Then, you get into the glass trailers that have steel
frames, add in a lift tops, etc, and the weight goes up from there.
As Ray said, with his relatively light glider, the trailer and all his
goodies came in at over 1400 lbs.

I have used a local Co-Op to weigh a couple of trailers. Thier scales
are on 24-7, and there is no charge to use them. At least the one
near me.

Hope this helps,

Steve Leonard
Old February 6th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

SGS 1-35 (all aluminum) with Gehrlien trailer (originally open) with
aluminum sheet cover is 1325 lbs with only the plane. The plane is
486 lbs.

There must be 150 lbs of other "stuff" in there now. Tongue Weight
85 lbs.

It's hardly noticable behind my Subaru Legacy (Class II 2500 lb
rated) and ok with a Toyota Corolla except on big hills. (Class I
rated 1500 lbs.)

agl
Old February 6th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_3_]

On Feb 5, 11:59*pm, Roger Worden wrote:
What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and will buy one that I could use if I
crew for someone or to move our club gliders around. Gliders that I
have moved around range from 450 to 850 pounds. I don't own a glider
myself so I've don't know what the trailers weigh. What's the weight
range for typical fiberglass or metal-frame-aluminum-skin glider
trailer?

(I've seen lots of discussion on RAS about towing in general... not
asking for vehicle or towing advice.)

Thanks in advance.

I have an ASW 19 with a Minden Trailer (wooden floor) and the scales
come in at just shy of 1800lbs and a 180lb tongue weight. The empty
weight of the 19 is 575lbs.
I too was suprised at the weight of the trailer, I expected the total
to be around 1100- 1400lbs.
Randy
Old February 6th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

My Hp16T and Schreder trailer come in at about 1800 lbs, with most
everything I need to fly in the trailer.

Brian
Old February 7th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

On Feb 5, 11:59*pm, Roger Worden wrote:
What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and will buy one that I could use if I
crew for someone or to move our club gliders around. Gliders that I
have moved around range from 450 to 850 pounds. I don't own a glider
myself so I've don't know what the trailers weigh. What's the weight
range for typical fiberglass or metal-frame-aluminum-skin glider
trailer?

(I've seen lots of discussion on RAS about towing in general... not
asking for vehicle or towing advice.)

Thanks in advance.

My SZD55 and Avionic AVG15 trailer weigh 1800 lbs; add 100 for
assorted tools etc. I drive a diesel Jetta which does a great job.
Old February 8th 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:59:53 -0800 (PST), Roger Worden
wrote:

What would you say is a typical or average glider trailer weight? I
know, "it depends"... but what is typical?

Approximately 750-850 kg for a modern single seater +wing extensions
and accessories.
900kg for selflaunchers.
1300 kg for a DuoDiscus XT.
1500kg and more for Open Class.

All based on Cobra single axle trailers.

Aldo

Trailer Weight rlovinggood Soaring 8 November 1st 07 12:22 AM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Glider Weight/Wing Loading and determing speed for best L/D for a given weight 65E Soaring 3 January 26th 06 09:26 PM
typical total time and PIC time question AJW Piloting 12 October 15th 04 03:52 AM
Glider weight Miguel Lavalle Soaring 8 December 17th 03 03:00 PM