For Sale - 2005 Sparrowhawk Sailplane 8 New 2009 USA Records!

Old February 4th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyingmr2

Default For Sale - 2005 Sparrowhawk Sailplane 8 New 2009 USA Records!

The Sparrowhawk is the worlds most fun to fly sailplane available
hands down. Jim Payne just set 8 new USA National records in a
Sparrowhawk in 2009. WOW!!! No other standard sailplane comes close
to it's maneuverability and agility due to it's low weight and low
moment of inertia due to the low wing weight. Ask anyone who has ever
flown a Sparrowhawk what it was like and the incredible response is
always the same. One pilot I read about said it was a lot more fun
than his DG808 which cost three times as much. Some interested pilots
have asked about its penetration ability in wind being that it is
light. It turns out that it penetrates very similar to most normal
ships with wing loading in the 6lbs range. The Sparrowhawk is
difficult to beat on the fun and easy to fly factor!
This glider is a 2005 model that is still in current production.
It's usable load with current equipment is around 215-225lbs (2 or 1
batteries less O2) Empty weight fully loaded is 210lbs. Gross weight
is 425lbs. It only has 46 hours on it and is in excellent condition.
It comes with a Cambridge 302, Becker 4201 Radio, ASI, ALT, dual 9ah
batteries, GT-50 g-meter, Mountain high O2 system, BRS and a clam
shell fiberglass trailer. It has a new TE probe plumbed to the CA
302. The instrument panel has one more available hole I was planning
to use for a transponder. A small mechanical vario would also fit if
you fly in an area that does not benefit from a transponder. I
upgraded the seat pan with a new one designed to give more head room
for taller pilots. I still have the old one which is included so you
can try both and use the more comfortable one. The new seat pan is
also stronger/thicker than the old one. Unfortunately, it is also
heavier. The trailer is a fiberglass clam shell Glasstec from the
80’s which I refinished this summer with new floor boards and outside
paint. I installed a solar charging system with a dual output charge
controller on the trailer. You will never have to pull the batteries
out to charge them. The Moutain High Oxygen bottle is brand new and
the MH Pulse system has never been used. I am listing the SH for
$49k which is $16K less than a new one.

This sailplane has a full FAA experimental registration and N number.
This sailplane is registered in the experimental category and does not
fly as and ultralight or Part 103. This means you can easily get
aviation hull/liability insurance and take it to the races and set
ultra-light glider records. Part 103 aircraft can not get hull
insurance. It also has water ballast tanks in the wings which are not
fully plumbed at this time. This ship would really scream in the club
class with its generous handicap and 50lbs of water. The BRS
Ballistic parachute system allows you to double chute. The BRS has
low altitude save capabilities that a regular parachute can not do.
Check out http://brsparachutes.com for more information. You can
find more information about the Sparrowhawk at http://www.windward-performance.com/
Please e-mail with any questions or come to Utah if you want to see it
in person.
Old February 4th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Are you going to list it on wings and wheels and silent flight
classifieds?
Old February 5th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

there is at least one Sparrowhawk on the Wings & Wheels want-ads now
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 4836 (20100204) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4836 (20100204) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old February 5th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyingmr2

I think it is on page 4 or 5 of wings and wheels.
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want-ads4.htm Thanks for looking! I
think it is the perfect ship for a soaring pilot who does not feel as
limber as he once did in his younger years. The instrument panel is
attached to the canopy and opens out of the way exposing the entire
cockpit without any obstructions. Anyone with a new knee might
appreciate this feature! At only 13 meters, its easy to push around
the airport and you won't loose any friends when they help you put
away your 45 pound wings. Some even think it is funny, kind of like
those foam rocks they have on movie sets that make you look so
strong. Look at me lift this whole wing by myself and I am not even
straining. Please e-mail with any questions to
If you are serious at all, you must come to
Utah and see it in person! I would like to sell as I have my eye on
another bird! It is currently being stored in a heated hanger for
viewing anytime day or night.
John
Old February 5th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 4, 9:35*pm, flyingmr2 wrote:

I would like to sell as I have my eye on
another bird!

What are you thinking of buying? I'm always curious to know what
Sparrow Hawk pilots move on to (and why).

Andy
Old February 5th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ziaskas

On Feb 4, 8:35�pm, flyingmr2 wrote:
I think �it is on page 4 or 5 of wings and wheels.http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want-ads4.htm� �Thanks for looking! �I
think it is the perfect ship for a soaring pilot who does not feel as
limber as he once did in his younger years. �The instrument panel is
attached to the canopy and opens out of the way exposing the entire
cockpit without any obstructions. �Anyone with a new knee might
appreciate this feature! � �At only 13 meters, its easy to push around
the airport and you won't loose any friends when they help you put....

The Sparrowhawk has an 11 meter span in case they didn't tell you.

Mike Z
Old February 6th 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyingmr2

Freinds,
Yes, I miss typed and it is 11 meters but it acts more like a 13M
with its 36 to 1 glide ratio. I would keep the sparrowhawk if I
could figure out how to loose more weight. Yes I have tried and tried
but there just is not much left of me to loose at 6'4" with very
broad shoulders and a high stress medical job. I am big guy with a
long torso and I do not fit into most sailplanes to start with. The
reason I just loved the Sparrowhawk in the first place was the great
cockpit fit with lots of shoulder room. I will always be over gross
or at least pushing the limits in its current configuration. At
240lbs, I am a little too heavy for the Sparrowhawk to fly under gross
and in the proper CG for good performance. If I happened to weigh
200lbs, I would keep the SH in a second because of the sheer fun it is
too fly. I am thinking of looking at a SZD 55-1 or a 59-1 which have
a higher gross and a tail ballast option. I have to admit that any
other sailplane I might buy will not be as maneuverable or as fun to
doodle around in as the Sparrowhawk as it will be a downgrade from
what I have. I will also miss not having the BRS option available.
If you have ever considered buying a fun to fly sailplane, and happen
to weigh in the 200lbs range, this a a rare opportunity for pure
sailplane fun at a much cheaper price. I love the design and
engineering of the Sparrowhawk and feel Greg Cole is a brilliant
designer. I think of the SH is like a modern 1-26 but with a lot
better performance, agility and safety. Those that fly and race the
1-26 have a different mindset and have a blast doing it. I will
probably look at the 15m Duckhawk when it gets released with its 200
knot VNE and 50 to 1 glide ratio.
Old February 6th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Feb 5, 7:58*pm, flyingmr2 wrote:
[...]

Antares has a fairly gigantic cockpit and extremely fast roll
rate and maneuverability. I'm 6'2" and there's plenty of extra
space.

Contact me if you need further info...

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Antares 18m pure glider, 18 turbo, and 20E electric
share the same cockpit.
Old February 6th 10, 07:24 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmr2 View Post
Freinds,
Yes, I miss typed and it is 11 meters but it acts more like a 13M
with its 36 to 1 glide ratio. I would keep the sparrowhawk if I
could figure out how to loose more weight. Yes I have tried and tried
but there just is not much left of me to loose at 6'4" with very
broad shoulders and a high stress medical job. .
I would venture a guess that your high stress medical job involved sales.
Old February 9th 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Freinds,
Yes, I miss typed and it is 11 meters but it acts more like a 13M
with its 36 to 1 glide ratio. * I would keep the sparrowhawk if I
could figure out how to loose more weight. *Yes I have tried and tried
but there just is not much left of me to loose at 6'4" *with very
broad shoulders and a high stress medical job. *.

You should've bought the Glasflugel 604 that was on W&W a little while
ago... a previous owner was 6'9". That cockpit is bigger than my
Kestrel in which I fit quite comfortably at 6'3" and 245 lbs.

Then again, that centre section weighs more than a Libelle.

Georgia Tennessee Alabama Sailplane Race Series 2009 chris Soaring 0 January 7th 09 05:06 AM
2009 Laister Sailplane Count - Information Request [email protected] Soaring 0 January 2nd 09 04:35 AM
18m sailplane for sale in USA - - - LS-6c/18w John Bojack[_2_] Soaring 1 June 9th 08 06:28 AM
SparrowHawk #15 for sale fred Soaring 8 December 2nd 07 07:45 AM
Sparrowhawk for sale fred Soaring 0 September 24th 07 06:13 AM