Naviter Oudie Should be Available in April 2010

Old February 5th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Naviter Oudie Should be Available in April 2010

The new Naviter Oudie PNA device with preinstalled See You Mobile for
PNA scheduled be available in April.

To preorder see

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

$650 includes See You Mobile PNA

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 6th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dixie Sierra

$650 includes See You Mobile PNA

Oudie ?.. Maybe Ouchie would be more appropriate. $650 seems a bit
steep.

What's the price for current See You Mobile users?

Old February 6th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

What's the price for current See You Mobile users?

When I place my $100 deposit during the Convention, I was told it
would be the
price of the Oudie minus the cost of SeeYou Mobile. The price of
SeeYou Mobile
is $334. So I am expecting to pay $316 for the Oudie.
This was not through Craggy Aero.

I am a current SeeYou Mobile user.

Old February 6th 10, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mottley[_2_]

On Feb 5, 11:08*pm, Richard wrote:
The new Naviter Oudie PNA device with preinstalled See You Mobile for
PNA scheduled be available in April.

To preorder see

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

$650 includes See You Mobile PNA

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Hi

Could we get some more precise details on the Hardware ports on the
Unit?
which port for power input?
which port for RS232 communication?
Is there a single cable to connect to 302 for power and data?
will varios which have 5v output (like302) be sufficent to drive the
unit?
Will the unit also have Connect Me installed and will it work through
the RS232 connection or only Bluetooth?
What is the screen brightness, is it backlight and is it
transflective??

These would be my questions before purchasing this unit. I know they
are all available in the Ultimate but I
just consider that screen to large for Cockpit mounting.

Many thanks
Bruno
Old February 6th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 6, 4:01*am, Mottley wrote:
[...]

The screen is a standard transflective LCD. All current consumer
portable device color LCD screens are transflective, we've had this
come up here before... the exception will be the switchable mode LCD
displays from Pixel Qi, but they are not shipping yet. So this PNA
display is likely no better daylight readable than most other screens
although the 5 inch size (slightly larger than other PDA/PNA) and
relatively low resolution (i.e. default larger font sizes that some
other PDA/PNA) may make it easier than some others to read in
daylight.

For other things can look up the specs for the underlying PNA device
which appears to be the Galilleo. (An interesting name choice for a
GPS based device). e.g. see
http://www.armatexx.eu/consumerelect...Bluetooth.html
(but note slight packaging differences between the pictures here and
the Naviter Oudie).

I'm not sure I understand the business model of reselling generic PNA
or PDA devices into the soaring market. Hopefully there is value add
in here somewhere (beyond pre-installing SeeYou Mobile?). Maybe
Richard can clarify what the differences are with the Oudie.

In this day of high resolution/high pixel density capacitive
touchscreen devices and emerging interesting display technology I am
hoping we'll see much better consumer electronics based devices
appearing that will make interesting platforms for soaring software.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) they seem less and less likely to be
Windows CE/Windows Mobile based. My money is on Android as the next
interesting source of low cost/high performance consumer electronics/
economics driven platforms. Anything iPhone/iPod/iPad based is
uninteresting at the moment until the software platform is a bit more
open (e.g. starting with bluetooth serial profile support, etc. as
I've mentioned here before).

Darryl

Old February 6th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I am also taking pre-orders for the Oudie. You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

Naviter is saying that they should be available in mid March, but I am
saying April to be conservative.

It is a great unit. The screen is larger than any other PDA or PNA and yet
the overall footprint is just slightly larger than an iPAQ h3900 or hx4700.
It is a little brighter than my iPAQ 310 PNA. The customers that saw it at
the SSA Convention all seemed very impressed. So much so that many placed
orders without knowing the exact final cost.

As mentioned below the U.S. price will be $650 - which includes a license
for SeeYou Mobile which is tied to the Oudie and can be transferred with the
Oudie when it is sold in the future. That is different from previous SeeYou
Mobile licenses which were tied to the pilot and not transferable. This has
unfortunately led to some confusion. At the convention Naviter mentioned
that discounts would be available for customers who own SeeYou Mobile
licenses. Some customers interpreted this to mean that they would buy the
hardware and use their existing SeeYou key. That is not the case. It is my
understanding that the discount for SeeYou Mobile license owners will be
modest (I don't have firm numbers yet). Extensive re-programming was done
to make Mobile run on this new PNA and many new features are being added
(such as large buttons rather than tabs in the Menu/Settings windows). So
it appears that customers who already own a Mobile license will need to
consider the discount as a way to get the price down to the price of an
upgrade, plus a bit more due to the fact that the license is transferrable
with the Oudie. To clarify, it is my understanding that it will be like the
person owns 2 complete SeeYou Mobile licenses, one tied to the pilot
(purchased previously) and one tied to the Oudie. The Oudie key will only
work in the Oudie and their old SeeYou Mobile for PDA or SeeYou Mobile for
PNA key will work in their old PDA or PNA. Of course, customers buying
Mobile for the first time will get only the 1 license that is tied to the
Oudie.

I think the $650 price is excellent. It is very comparable to the cost of
buying a PDA or PNA and a GPS and a SeeYou Mobile for PDA or PNA key. You
can see some examples of systems like that he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm. But with the Oudie your are
getting a larger and slightly brighter screen and a built-in GPS and a unit
with an RS-232 serial port - so it can be connected to your Cambridge 302 or
LX7000 or Colibri or EW microRecorder, etc.

The unit also includes a suction cup mount and cradle and a power/data cable
with a built-in 12V to 5V converter. I will provide adapter cables for
connecting it to a variety of soaring instruments.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 6th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I think the $650 price is very reasonable when you consider that it includes
a built-in GPS and suction cup mount and cradle and a working RS-232 serial
port and a SeeYou Mobile key that is tied to the unit. It is very
comparable in price to the example PDA and PNA systems shown on my
PDA/PNA/GPS Example systems page he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pdagps.htm

I don't know yet what the discount will be for current SeeYou Mobile users,
but it will be a modest discount because of extensive work done to upgrade
the software to run on the Oudie and the fact that the key is tied to the
Oudie and can therefore be transferred with the Oudie when you sell it in
the future.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 6th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Randy,

I think that either someone made a mis-statement at the convention, or you
misunderstood. I don't have final information on the discount, but I
believe it will be much less than the cost of a Mobile key. I will post
details here as soon as I receive them.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 6th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Feb 6, 4:01*am, Mottley wrote:
[...]

Bruno,

I believe the Oudie has one connector for both the 5v power input and
the serial input.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 6th 10, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Please see my comments below.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Mottley" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 11:08 pm, Richard wrote:
The new Naviter Oudie PNA device with preinstalled See You Mobile for
PNA scheduled be available in April.

To preorder see

http://www.craggyaero.com/oudie.htm

$650 includes See You Mobile PNA

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Hi

Could we get some more precise details on the Hardware ports on the
Unit?

- It has a microSD card slot and a miniUSB port. The miniUSB port also
supports RS-232 data and 5V power input. The unit is supplied with a cable
with a built-in 12V to 5V power converter and RS-232 voltage level
converter. I am not certain yet that the cable includes the RS-232 voltage
level converter, but I believe it does. I have sent a note to Naviter
asking for clarification. The iPAQ 310 also requires a RS-232 voltage level
converter to convert the "standard" RS-232 voltage levels down to "3.3V
RS-232". For the iPAQ 310 I supply Goddard cables with an inline RS-232
voltage level converter. I believe that feature is built into the Oudie's
power/data cable.

which port for power input?
- The miniUSB connector
which port for RS232 communication?
- see note above
Is there a single cable to connect to 302 for power and data?

- I'm not certain on this yet, but I believe the unit's power/data cable
includes both a 12V to 5V power converter and RS-232 signal level converter.
Therefore it may not be possible for the 302 to power the Oudie using the
302's 5V power output. I will make adapter cables available for connecting
the Oudie to most any soaring instrument. My guess is that power/data
adapter cables for the 302 will include a DB-9 connector for connection to
data from the 302 and power leads for connection to 12V power from the
glider battery. However, it may be possible for us to supply cables similar
to the cables we make for the iPAQ 310 which include an inline RS-232
voltage level converter and pass 5V from the 302 to the Oudie. We will know
more on that soon.

will varios which have 5v output (like302) be sufficent to drive the
unit?

- see the note above. A separate 12V power input may be needed. I will
know more about this very soon.

Will the unit also have Connect Me installed and will it work through
the RS232 connection or only Bluetooth?

- My guess is that ConnectMe will be installed and it will definitely work
over RS-232.

What is the screen brightness, is it backlight and is it
transflective??

- It uses the same screen technology as recent PDAs and PNAs such as the
iPAQ 310 and iPAQ 210. At the SSA Convention everyone was convinced that
the Oudie was a bit brighter than my iPAQ 310 and much brighter than my iPAQ
hx4700. However, my hx4700 is someone old so the backlight is much dimmer
than it was when new. In previous tests at my home I found that the Bendix
King AV8OR was brighter than the iPAQ 310. I didn't have an AV8OR at the
SSA Convention so I couldn't compare it with the Oudie. My best guess is
that the Oudie will be very similar in brightness with the AV8OR. Don't
expect it to be nearly as bright as a ClearNav or Ultimate, but the price is
much less than a ClearNav or Ultimate.

These would be my questions before purchasing this unit. I know they
are all available in the Ultimate but I
just consider that screen to large for Cockpit mounting.

- Feel free to call me anytime to discuss any of this in detail. I'm
extremely impressed with the Oudie and look forward to flying with one
myself. - Paul Remde

Many thanks
Bruno

2010 Vorsanger1 Soaring 8 January 9th 10 09:46 AM
US Regionals 2010 5E Soaring 2 September 8th 09 05:12 PM
Well, theres always 2010 Steve Foley[_4_] Piloting 4 January 3rd 09 11:33 PM
Naviter site nimbusgb Soaring 5 June 17th 05 10:04 AM