New Panel Help

Old October 22nd 15, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Panel Help

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 5:57:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,
I am returning to the sport after a 30 year hiatus. I have recently purchased an SHK1, which I am refinishing/restoring. My goal is to use this ship to earn FAI badges, not to fly competitively. Given this information, and a limited budget, I am looking for opinions regarding instruments, GPS, Navigation and logger choices as well as their placement on the panel. The ship came with three mechanical variometers, a sage and two winters, an altimeter and an airspeed indicator. What would a good panel look like and comprise?
Thanks for any help.
Bill

So if I get a Cambridge 302 communicating with streak do I need the Cambridge 303, is it just a display?

Old October 23rd 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

what is a nano?

It is an IGC approved GPS flight recorder that can provide GPS signal into a vario like the S7, or the SN10 computer.

http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/lx-nav/nano

http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/lx-nav/nano-iii

Old October 23rd 15, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:24:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Another question- I know this was debated quite a while ago- but what are the pros and cons of the SN10b compared to the 302?

First - if you intend on keeping a mechanical vario, keep the Sage.

Comparing a 302 to an SN10 is a bit of an apples vs oranges situation; the 302 is a good TE audio vario with a built-in GPS and IGC logger, that can drive an external glide computer such as an Oudie or PNA/XCSoar combo. By itself, it doesn't give you navigation or glide information. I think it can do either electronic or TE probe for total energy calculations.

The SN10, on the other hand, is a combination TE audio vario (needs a good TE probe) and glide/nav/task computer, that is really optimized for racing and XC flying; it has a rudimentary moving map, keeps track of alternates, figures out excellent winds, and will give you great final glide guidance. However, it does not have a built-in GPS, so you have to provide that input. With a simple hockey puck GPS, it has a non-IGC logger (but approved for US racing and OLC). When coupled with a PowerFLARM brick, it can show FLARM data, and if hooked up with an external PNA (Oudie, for example), can send FLARM, vario, and wind data to the moving map software.

I admit I'm biased - all my friends who have 302s have trouble with them (c'mon, admit it!), while I've been using my SN10b for 14 years without a hiccup.

Kirk
Old October 23rd 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:08:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 5:57:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,
I am returning to the sport after a 30 year hiatus. I have recently purchased an SHK1, which I am refinishing/restoring. My goal is to use this ship to earn FAI badges, not to fly competitively. Given this information, and a limited budget, I am looking for opinions regarding instruments, GPS, Navigation and logger choices as well as their placement on the panel. The ship came with three mechanical variometers, a sage and two winters, an altimeter and an airspeed indicator. What would a good panel look like and comprise?
Thanks for any help.
Bill

Is the 302 also an audible vario?

John, what is a nano?

Thanks for all the input, is a big help!

Look at Wings and wheels, the Nano is a stand alone GPS data recorder, runs well on SEE You and is IGC approved and works well with OLC. I just get back from a flight stick it in my pocket, go to my computer down load the flight and transfer it to OLC. Then I can analyze my flight in See You.
Old October 24th 15, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you're going to be flying in an area with a fair number of other gliders and those gliders mostly have FLARM, consider installing an IGC activated FLARM Core and linking it to an electronic vario/computer setup that connects to the FLARM and uses it as the GPS engine and logger. LX Navigation and LX Nav (and others) make instruments designed to work like this and the LX8080/V5/Flarmview 57 setup in my ASW-15 has worked extremely well. It did seem a bit over the top for the old girl though. Keep the Sage as the mechanical vario if you have the room in the panel for it, they're great.
Old October 24th 15, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The 302 sends gps data to the PDA/PNA (XCSoar) and navigation is handled
by XCSoar. The only problem I know of with the 302 is that if it's left
unpowered for some period (about 3 months) the internal battery goes
dead and the gps can not then get the proper date. It must be returned
for service since it has to be opened which breaks the seal on the
unit. Because of the possible problem with the gps, I would not buy a
302 but, instead, would get a CNvXC.

I can't discuss the SN10b as I've never used one.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 24th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 2:57:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello All,
I am returning to the sport after a 30 year hiatus. I have recently purchased an SHK1, which I am refinishing/restoring. My goal is to use this ship to earn FAI badges, not to fly competitively. Given this information, and a limited budget, I am looking for opinions regarding instruments, GPS, Navigation and logger choices as well as their placement on the panel. The ship came with three mechanical variometers, a sage and two winters, an altimeter and an airspeed indicator. What would a good panel look like and comprise?
Thanks for any help.
Bill

Bill,

If you want to call and talk about panel update experiences please do. I have replaced panels in many glider with many different types of flight computers. Including Nano-V7-Oudie, PowerFlarm LXNAV LX9000, PowerFlarm- V7/V8/V80-ultimate le. Also tip on panel material and finishing.

Instructions for cutting exact 57mm & 80mm holes on this page:

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate_le_5_7.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

20B Panel jcarlyle Soaring 21 April 1st 09 10:57 PM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 18th 05 04:24 AM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 17th 05 07:15 PM
Panel restoration Roger Halstead Restoration 0 September 3rd 04 05:46 AM
182 panel Jim Owning 2 August 2nd 03 09:06 PM