Door locks?

Old October 29th 05, 03:24 AM
Paul Tomblin

Default Door locks?

The door locks on our fleet (4 PA-28s and 1 PA-32R) all suck. At least
two of them don't even lock at any given time, and we're always replacing
them. There is a guy on the field who replaced his lock with sometime a
little more substantial. But I've seen him doing other stuff that I'm
doubtful of the legality, so I have to ask: Is there any legal reason why
we keep putting those piece of **** Piper locks on?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Look! This trout makes a better hammer than that blob of marmalade!"
Old October 29th 05, 03:37 AM

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:24:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://www.medeco.com/products/produ...D=47&clear=47&

http://www.aircraftsecurityalert.com/

You can only get keys from a registered Medeco dealer, and they will
typically have to order them in.

Brand new ones can be slightly finicky and stiff to operate, but once
loosened up a little work quite precisely.

Any/all can be keyed alike, but the ignition switch will have to
remain the original type.

The door locks on our fleet (4 PA-28s and 1 PA-32R) all suck. At least
two of them don't even lock at any given time, and we're always replacing
them. There is a guy on the field who replaced his lock with sometime a
little more substantial. But I've seen him doing other stuff that I'm
doubtful of the legality, so I have to ask: Is there any legal reason why
we keep putting those piece of **** Piper locks on?

No reason that I am aware of, but all of the locks that I have seen
(except the Medeco) that mount and operate like the original "Piper"
locks are indeed pure garbage.

I'm sure that you realize that any lock will only keep out an honest
person...

TC
Old October 29th 05, 05:48 AM

I'll second the comments of TC regarding Medeco locks. We have them on the
cabin and baggage doors of our Arrow, and they work (and wear) very well.
The one quibble I have is that the Medeco keys have such huge heads that
they provide enough leverage to easily break the key if the lock is stiff or
frozen. Getting replacement keys is a real bitch.

Arguably, the Medecos are "overkill" (as TC says, they are really to keep
honest people out) but everything else available is junk.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old October 29th 05, 02:25 PM
Mike Spera

Paul Tomblin wrote:

The door locks on our fleet (4 PA-28s and 1 PA-32R) all suck. At least
two of them don't even lock at any given time, and we're always replacing
them. There is a guy on the field who replaced his lock with sometime a
little more substantial. But I've seen him doing other stuff that I'm
doubtful of the legality, so I have to ask: Is there any legal reason why
we keep putting those piece of **** Piper locks on?

I have always removed my GPS and other valuables from the plane. One
reason is the locks, the other is the relative ease with which a thief
could walk around the airport lifting objects with little challenge.
This is despite all the "safety" measures the city put in at great
expense (fluff to show the public and the FAA that "something" was done).

The previous owner used to keep the LOGBOOKS and POH in the plane
(parked outside at a tiedown - remote location on the field!!!). I even
take my POH with me. The only thing I leave behind are the headsets.
Looking at my insurance coverage, it is pretty weak for headsets - only
$500.

I was looking at the lock and thinking about an upgrade. But that would
only force the thief to royally screw up the door or break a window to
get in. Not sure I want them to do that.

Now...remote entry with key fob, an alarm system, and a "clucking
chicken" with flashing landing light every time I used it... priceless!

Mike
Old October 31st 05, 05:26 PM
Marco Leon

It seems to me the point of failure for cyliner door locks would be the
aluminum body structure. The cylinder is mounted on the outer aluminum skin
(at least they are on Piper Warriors). It seems a moderately-powered
screwdriver punch is all it would take to knock in the cylinder.

Hence, I second the "keeping honest people out" proclaimation.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 2nd 05, 03:09 AM
Ray Andraka

Marco Leon wrote:Heck, on pipers all it takes is a minute to pull the
hinge pins and you are in regardless of what lock you have

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759