Where is the LX S80?

Old November 4th 14, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Where is the LX S80?

Surprised that software features of S80 are not up to V7 currently. What is excluded?

Wonder whether it will become a better vario since it has more sensors. It costs much more than V7.
Old November 4th 14, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:00:49 AM UTC-8, waremark wrote:
Surprised that software features of S80 are not up to V7 currently. What is excluded?

Wonder whether it will become a better vario since it has more sensors. It costs much more than V7.

I have tested the S80 on the bench and it has more features than the V7.
Navigation, AHRS etc.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 4th 14, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I just received my new S80 vario.
It might be helpful for those of us who are just now installing and calibrating our units to share.

Software bugs?
TE vs electronic compensation?
Plumbing the TE line when shared with a mechanical vario (Sage vs Winter vs Borgelt).
Flarm display results and tuning.
Two way communication with a PDA with SeeYou/GN2/etc.
Old November 4th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Logbook is not implemented yet and Englisch only at the moment..
Different numbers in cruise/circling mode are not implemented like in the V7

AT least the undervolt warning worked for me, as I emptied both of my batteries...:-)

Old November 4th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:13:57 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Logbook is not implemented yet and Englisch only at the moment..
Different numbers in cruise/circling mode are not implemented like in the V7

AT least the undervolt warning worked for me, as I emptied both of my batteries...:-)

The V7 is a lovely instrument. If the manufacturer were able to make an extension module that included the inertial vario parts and modify the software to incorporate the module it would be pretty attractive.

Craig
7Q
Old November 4th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, November 3, 2014 6:38:22 AM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Not entirely sure I buy momentum as a first-order effect since blue thermals don't typically overrun the top of the invasion level by very much, so I can't imagine the top 2/3 of the thermal is simply momentum. Also, if it's thoroughly mixed from a temperature perspective wouldn't it also be mixed from a humidity perspective as well so it wouldn't be rising from having higher humidity either?

Curious.

9B

I did the simple physics on this. A volume of air rising at 600 fpm with no other forces acting on it other than gravity has enough momentum to rise an additional 1.6 feet before its upward velocity reaches zero.

I am now officially at a loss as to why thermals go up if there is no temperature difference versus the surrounding air.

9B
Old November 4th 14, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:38:33 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
I did the simple physics on this. A volume of air rising at 600 fpm with no other forces acting on it other than gravity has enough momentum to rise an additional 1.6 feet before its upward velocity reaches zero.

I am now officially at a loss as to why thermals go up if there is no temperature difference versus the surrounding air.

9B

That's for an object in a vacuum. The thermal isn't surrounded by a vacuum, it's surrounded by air at almost precisely the same density.

T8
Old November 5th 14, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:04:41 PM UTC-8, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:38:33 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
I did the simple physics on this. A volume of air rising at 600 fpm with no other forces acting on it other than gravity has enough momentum to rise an additional 1.6 feet before its upward velocity reaches zero.

I am now officially at a loss as to why thermals go up if there is no temperature difference versus the surrounding air.

9B

That's for an object in a vacuum. The thermal isn't surrounded by a vacuum, it's surrounded by air at almost precisely the same density.

T8

Wouldn't that make it go up even less due to the frictional resistance?
Old November 5th 14, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:24:00 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:04:41 PM UTC-8, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:38:33 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
I did the simple physics on this. A volume of air rising at 600 fpm with no other forces acting on it other than gravity has enough momentum to rise an additional 1.6 feet before its upward velocity reaches zero.

I am now officially at a loss as to why thermals go up if there is no temperature difference versus the surrounding air.

9B

That's for an object in a vacuum. The thermal isn't surrounded by a vacuum, it's surrounded by air at almost precisely the same density.

T8

Wouldn't that make it go up even less due to the frictional resistance?

Just doesn't weigh as much as you assumed