Eurofighter grounded!

Old October 14th 03, 01:35 AM
Erik Pfeister

Default Eurofighter grounded!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...853318,00.html

Old October 14th 03, 07:28 AM
Steve Davies

According to the Times article, France is still buying the jet (but there's
no mention of Spain!). Can this be true? Shoddy work, surely?!

--
Steve Davies
"F-15 Eagle & Strike Eagle. Combat Legends" ISBN 1840 373 776

Old October 14th 03, 09:46 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:28:30 +0100, "Steve Davies"
wrote:

According to the Times article, France is still buying the jet (but there's
no mention of Spain!). Can this be true? Shoddy work, surely?!

Uh. . .*France* buying Eurofighter?

Old October 14th 03, 01:38 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Steve Davies" wrote in message ...
According to the Times article, France is still buying the jet (but there's
no mention of Spain!). Can this be true? Shoddy work, surely?!

Shoddy work? You mean shoddy as to the article, or the airplane...?

It is rather surprising that the paper decided to have France
participate in the program and procure the aircraft so many years
after it bailed when it became apparent that the Rafale-route was not
going to be chosen path of the consortium, especially as France has
experienced significant difficulty in funding the still rather paltry
procurement of Rafale to date!

Brooks

--
Steve Davies

snip
Old October 14th 03, 06:29 PM
phil hunt

On 14 Oct 2003 05:38:48 -0700, Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Steve Davies" wrote in message ...
According to the Times article, France is still buying the jet (but there's
no mention of Spain!). Can this be true? Shoddy work, surely?!

Shoddy work? You mean shoddy as to the article, or the airplane...?

The article. The journalist is totally misinformed if he thinks
France is buying it.

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).

Old October 16th 03, 02:08 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Mike" wrote in message ...
Certainly for this last point,but because of money,and never because of
technics.
This program (Rafale),has never had any of the numerous problems of the
typhoon,still going on...
So maybe we can think we were right not to gor for it....

If it is so much better than Typhoon, why, despite repeated attempts,
has it not yet received an export order, even losing out to Typhoon in
a couple of competitive selections IIRC? One major reason that France
has difficulty affording rafale is the distinct lack of export success
(exports would drop the unit cost of the aircraft the French want to
buy for themselves). It appears that the Singapore competition is the
rafale's last major opportunity to redress this problem (especially as
the Brazilian F-X program is now more or less moribund); I'd imagine
the various competitors are keeping a close eye on that situation in
light of the rather dubious marketing ploys Dassault attempted during
the ROKAF competition that was eventually lost to the F-15K.

Brooks

Old October 17th 03, 11:30 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Mike" wrote in message

Another point are the missions;Rafale is very versatile,
Typhoon is an interceptor.
I don't know what you or the partners of Typhoon think about it,
but at the moment,and for now 15 years,it may be more useful to have a

good
multi-purpose aircraft,than an interceptor.

This is nonsense.

Typhoon has been designed from the beginning as a multi-role
aircraft. For air-to-surface missions, the Eurofighter can carry
Brimstone and DWS 37 anti-armor weapons-three under
each wing and one under the center fuselage, as well as
laser-guided and GPS guided weapons.

Keith

Old October 17th 03, 01:20 PM
phil hunt

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:39:54 +0200, Mike wrote:

Both are late,Typhoon because of technics,Rafale because of money.

I think Typhoon has had money problems too -- Germany threatens to
pull out every few years.

I don't know what you or the partners of Typhoon think about it,
but at the moment,and for now 15 years,it may be more useful to have a good
multi-purpose aircraft,than an interceptor.

Maybe. I disagree -- the bombing role can best be done by unpiloted
aircraft.