Circular runways for airports?

Old December 25th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Circular runways for airports?

Now here's an idea almost as good as underground airports*:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-airports.html
A CIRCULAR runway for airports is being considered by the US navy, and
the idea was recently tested in principle at General Motors' proving
ground. It is thought to promise some advantages but to be more
expensive than providing similar operational capacity in the normal
way. One particular advantage is that it would save one-third of the
space occupied by a conventional airport of equal capacity.

The idea is to match the circumference to the landing speeds of the
aircraft that would use it, assuming that each aeroplane would need to
be sure of one sixth of the circumference. This would mean that for
big jet aircraft, a circular runway of rather more than 60,000 feet in
circumference would be required.

Taking the usual first-class runway width of 300 feet, an aeroplane,
touching down on the outside edge and aiming just to miss the inner
edge, would have a run of 4860 feet before it approached the outer
edge again. In that distance, thrust reversers and brakes would have
been applied and the speed reduced perhaps sufficiently to use the
nose wheel gently to steer the craft back onto another tangential
course for the next mile of its run.

As an alternative, the runway could be made wider. In that event cost
would rise steeply. A 10,000-foot runway 300 feet wide costs little
under £1 million. The need to devise new landing techniques and to
retrain pilots is acknowledged in official references to this study,
but emphasis is laid on the "unlimited runway" and on the
"minimisation of crosswind factor" by enabling take-offs and landings
to be made in any direction.

This might reduce the number of aircraft that could use the runway at
the same time. Only when crosswind was not of serious strength could
the runway be used by six aircraft simultaneously and the claim that
it would conduce to high traffic density be justified.

*

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a?dmode=source
Old December 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

This isn't by any chance being studied with GOVERNMENT money is it?

Old December 25th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
under £1 million. The need to devise new landing techniques and to
retrain pilots is acknowledged in official references to this study,
but emphasis is laid on the "unlimited runway" and on the

Does this mean that Convair is going back into the airplane business?

(If you get the joke, you're showing your age.)

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
So I was reading Twelfth Night ... and would you believe that the I LOVE YOU
Old December 26th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
under £1 million. The need to devise new landing techniques and to
retrain pilots is acknowledged in official references to this study,
but emphasis is laid on the "unlimited runway" and on the

Does this mean that Convair is going back into the airplane business?
(If you get the joke, you're showing your age.)

"If they built a runway around the world at the equator, Republic would
build an airplane that would use it." - unknown
Old December 25th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Larry Dighera wrote:
Now here's an idea almost as good as underground airports*:

Or as good as taking off from a treadmill ? :-) ;-)

So why not use a treadmill for landing as well. Then you'd just need
an "airport" the length of an airplane. Mount the treadmill on a
pivot, and you could always land/take off into the wind, too.

Of course, you could always use the aircraft carrier method of stopping
landing planes.... just mount all the passenger seats backwards to
absorb the shock.

Kev

Old December 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Kev wrote:
Or as good as taking off from a treadmill ? :-) ;-)

So why not use a treadmill for landing as well. Then you'd just ...

PS. before people go crazy, yes I know you can't land on a treadmill.
Although I'm sure someone will make a proof the other way ;-)

Kev

Old December 25th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Kev" wrote:

PS. before people go crazy, yes I know you can't land on a treadmill.
Although I'm sure someone will make a proof the other way ;-)

Of course you can....probably won't fly the airplane again, but...

:-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old December 26th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 25 Dec 2006 13:47:11 -0800, "Kev" wrote in
. com:

you could always use the aircraft carrier method of stopping
landing planes.... just mount all the passenger seats backwards to
absorb the shock.

Actually, that's a prudent idea. It might require some additional
stowage methods in the galley and cargo hold, but it would seem
preferable to the bend over your seat belt, and wait for the impact
emergency procedure currently in place.

Old December 26th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
fcoav8r

In my back of the woods Dec 28th is the equivalent of "April fool's
day" so I checked the date of the initial post carefully.

BTW this brings to mind that an 8 shaped rwy might be more efficient
and we could still benefit from the use of the Land And Hold Short
clearances :-D

Old December 26th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mad8

how about an X shaped runway.... oh wait...
fcoav8r wrote:
In my back of the woods Dec 28th is the equivalent of "April fool's
day" so I checked the date of the initial post carefully.

BTW this brings to mind that an 8 shaped rwy might be more efficient
and we could still benefit from the use of the Land And Hold Short
clearances :-D

FAA: Runways come up short Andrew Sarangan Piloting 10 November 6th 06 03:06 AM
Runway ID Lakeview Bill Piloting 55 October 18th 05 12:53 AM
Circular Aircraft Hangar Jeff Home Built 16 October 8th 05 11:44 PM
Disappearing Runways Kyle Boatright Piloting 5 May 26th 05 03:19 AM
fs2002 - increase intensity taxiway and runways' lights? Mark Cherry Simulators 0 September 23rd 03 01:08 AM