A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate Glider batteries?

Old December 2nd 16, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate Glider batteries?

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 6:43:11 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 4:58:47 AM UTC+12, SF wrote:
During the winter of 2009 I was bored, and aggravated with the sealed lead acid batteries that I was using in my sailplane. They didn't hold the voltage above 12v for very long, they needed replacement every few years, and I had one die 5 miles away from the airport at the end of a 300K badge flight. My argument that I had 2,000 FT over final glide at that point didn't sway the FAI from rejecting that flight for my badge attempt.

My search at the time led me to the K2 (Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry)batteries that were the subject of my spring of 2010 battery article in Soaring.

Reaction to the article was mixed, and a partial retraction was printed the following month after an FAA DER (Designated Engineering Reviewer)with experience in certifying Lithium Ion batteries for some type of usage in commercial airliners, objected to the use of Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries in sailplanes because they hadn't been certified for that use by the FAA.

It's now 2016, and I see a lot of K2 batteries in other sailplanes. Soaring supply companies in the U.S. seem to be providing K2 batteries or a similar battery from a different manufacturer on a regular basis. The K2 battery I purchased in 2009, and it's twin purchased a year later, are still providing power to my sailplane without incident. There seems to be no degradation in performance, and other than switching to Anderson Power Pole connectors, I have not made any changes to my battery set up.

Has anyone out there had an issue with the usage of Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry batteries in sailplanes?

Just curious because, a lot of dire consequences were predicted after my article came out.

SF

I'm flying with the 19amphr Shorai LFX 19 battery - rated capacity is closer to 6 or 7 amp-hr but very lightweight and the avionics love the 13.8 volt nominal output. Very happy with is on 5-6 hr flights, running LX Nano3, S80, Transponder Mode A & C, radio and 8" mounted Galaxy tablet. Nil problems except of the regulatory type - I understand various manufacturers are specifying LiFePO4 batteries now so I imagine the Aviation Authorities will ahve to deal with this issue at some time. Currently looking to double up this battery for true 10hr plus potential although a 20amp-hr would be ideal from another manufacturer. Look for some kind of UN spec - I think it is UN38.2 specification.

Cheers,
Andy
New Zealand

Shorai uses a sort of lead acid "starting battery" AH equivalent rating as their batteries are intended for motorsports and are popular for use in motorcycles. The cell spacing is optimized for high current for short periods. Other LiFePO4's are made that are optimized for storage and have a more moderate current demand capability - often limited by an on-board BMS (battery management system), and the AH rating on this type would be more in keeping to the Pb batteries traditionally used in gliders. With a a few additional advantages, more cycles, lighter weight/higher power density, and voltage doesn't drop off during discharge (until the end!) etc. Some, like the CTC brand I posted earlier, have a storage AH rating and can also deliver enough current for short periods to be used for the starter on the Wankel engine on my ASH26E.