Flatbed truck transport of glider in trailer?

Old November 30th 16, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flatbed truck transport of glider in trailer?

I am trying to move a glider and cobra trailer from CA to GA. The obvious choice of having it towed is my first plan.
I have been offered to have it transported on the back of a flatbed trailer behind a truck instead.

Just because it is not the normal way to move a glider & trailer I wonder if there are any problems with this idea. I don't know if it is better or worse.

I would imagine that you would have to chain it down to prevent it from moving up and down or fore and aft so that would reduce the protective function of the trailer's suspension.

So then I would imagine the heavier flatbed trailer has a stiffer suspension.

There is also the possibility of the interaction/amplification of motion if the two suspension systems both move.

Then I wonder about loading and unloading up and down an angle and all the things that might go wrong.

So the list of unknowns makes me hesitant to do this, or does anyone think there is an advantage to this idea?

Chris
Old November 30th 16, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I visited Williams Soaring.. Two gliders were delivered in a container.. They were in a trailer secured in a container.

I don't know why you think the suspension of the trailer would be compromised. They should tie down/chain down the TRAILER, not the box. Many rigs now have 'air ride' and are pretty smooth. You don't need a open sided flatbed, the trailer would fit right in a standard box I believe.

I helped unload the gliders from the containers while they were still up on the carriers. It involved a few helpers, and a forklift to get the trailers out, and DOWN safely. I'd recommend contacting Rex out there and having a 5 minute conversation about the do's and don'ts of how to get a trailer out and down. I think a standard loading ramp would be too steep of an angle to go down, with nothing able to hitch to the trailer to hold it as you rolled the glider out. If you found a very flat loading ramp for the trailer to back to, you could maybe use a block and tackle to help pay the trailer out.

Good Luck.
JP
Old November 30th 16, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 5:30:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

If you chain the trailer really well the trailer suspension will not work as designed. The front of the trailer resting on the little wheel will transfer all forces directly to the trailer.The back will have some movement in the downward direction.

The suspension of the flatbed is designed to carry high loads. Little glider weight on such trailer will not have good amortization. Having a trailer in the container is a better story. The container will provide additional weight.
Old November 30th 16, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uship.com
Old November 30th 16, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

[...]

JP, that is correct but the typical air-ride suspension on a trailer requires a minimum of 3,000# over the trailer axle to become effective. I once had to ship a sensitive piece of test-lab equipment and in order to get the full effect of the air ride, we added heavy steel plates to the trailer.
Uli
Old November 30th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Years ago, on a corporate move, I moved my ship via a closed trailer. We loaded and unloaded at warehouses with docks for the trucks that allowed roll on roll off. That part was OK; however, the trailer ride was so rough with the light load that the wings bounced out of their cradles and were damaged. I agree with others that the light load of just a ship in trailer may cause problems.

DVM
Old November 30th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why not take a road trip yourself? It could be fun this time of year.
Load up the family and see the sights along the way.

I would offer my services but, at a dollar per mile the cost would be
ballpark $5K. You could probably use uship.com for a lot less.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 30th 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 8:02:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Uship.com

It is on uship right now. A friend had good luck with them on a similar trip just last month.
Chris
Old December 1st 16, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Alternate possibility if you have the time (which you probably don't, as that is why you are asking about getting it shipped). One way airline ticket out. Purchase a car on Craig's List. Drive home. Sell car on Craig's List. If you do well on the buy and sell, you might even get some of your expenses covered.
Old December 2nd 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

I just returned from such a trip. Bought a glider in Phoenix and drove it back to New Hampshire. I flew out, inspected the glider, and towed it back behind a 10ft uhaul box truck. That was the only easy way to get a one way rental with a hitch. It was a really good tow vehicle. No glider sway. No cruse control, but it had the next best thing, a governor set to 75. So I could just floor it the whole way home. If you want to reduce expenses, bid for something yourself on uship and bring back a load in your otherwise empty truck...