Gathering ideas for an iPhone/iPad app

Old January 25th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gathering ideas for an iPhone/iPad app

Are there useful things an app on your iPhone could do to enhance your soaring day? Not task flying and flight logging, there are enough of those. I was thinking about the many lookups, tasks, notes, lists and "stuff" we gather by computer in the life of a soaring pilot. Would it be useful to be able to access them all from one interface app?

Has someone already created such an app?

If you know where I am going with this, feel free to post back any ideas for something on your Apple iPhone or iPad or iPod to make your day easier or more fun.

I am thinking of $1.99 app kind of stuff. Cheap, as most pilots are cheap, but effective.

Old January 25th 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flight logger for flight line use. Drop down menu with club ships. Another drop down with club pilots. Another with tow plane & pilot. Activate timer when glider departs and click again when it lands. Downloads end if day activity report. Replaces legal pad and pencil currently used by operations. I've been wanting this for two years.

Lane
XF
Old January 25th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob
Thats easy!
IF you make an App for my iphone that will use the camera to find thermals and then display where they are and how strong, I'm willing to pay more than $1.99

Randy

Old January 26th 13, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
Are there useful things an app on your iPhone could do to enhance your
soaring day? Not task flying and flight logging, there are enough of
those. I was thinking about the many lookups, tasks, notes, lists and
"stuff" we gather by computer in the life of a soaring pilot. Would it be
useful to be able to access them all from one interface app?

Has someone already created such an app?

If you know where I am going with this, feel free to post back any ideas
for something on your Apple iPhone or iPad or iPod to make your day easier or more fun.

I am thinking of $1.99 app kind of stuff. Cheap, as most pilots are cheap, but effective.

I would love to have an iPhone app to connect to my Volkslogger.

Pete
Old January 26th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Jan 25, 3:26*pm, wrote:
Are there useful things an app on your iPhone could do to enhance your soaring day? Not task flying and flight logging, there are enough of those. I was thinking about the many lookups, tasks, notes, lists and "stuff" we gather by computer in the life of a soaring pilot. Would it be useful to be able to access them all from one interface app?

Has someone already created such an app?

If you know where I am going with this, feel free to post back any ideas for something on your Apple iPhone or iPad or iPod to make your day easier or more fun.

I am thinking of $1.99 app kind of stuff. Cheap, as most pilots are cheap, but effective.

Weather. Go fetch visible satellite loop, radar loop, dr, jack, ruc
sounding, metars, and update them automatically when the sources
update. Use the GPS to know where you are and get the appropriate
ones. With one click, the latest is always right there. Go get them
as internet connection is available so they are ready in flight even
when internet connection is sporadic.

John Cochrane
Old January 26th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John

Surely your not saying WX in the cockpit!

Lane
XF
Old January 26th 13, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Jan 25, 9:28*pm, wrote:
John

Surely your not saying WX in the cockpit!

Lane
XF

Why not? Current ones are expensive and a bit of a pain. In addition,
they don't have the visible satellite which is the most useful for
soaring. If we could get weather in the cockpit for the price of an
iphone and an app wouldn't you want it?
Of course, not during contests.
John Cochrane
Old January 26th 13, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, January 25, 2013 5:04:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Bob

Thats easy!

IF you make an App for my iphone that will use the camera to find thermals and then display where they are and how strong, I'm willing to pay more than $1.99

Randy

So, they are all 10 miles away and downwind, are you happier now?? ;-)
Old January 26th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 1/25/2013 5:54 PM, John Cochrane wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'd get an iPhone if it had that app.

email me)
Old January 29th 13, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jan 25, 3:26 pm, wrote:

[...]

How about a good working backup vario? Granted it wouldn't be as accurate as baro one, and not compensated, but may still do it's job in case all goes to hell and you find yoursledf without a working vario in your cockpit. I checked the few that are available in the app store but didnt find anything that works well.