The nature of military justice.

Old January 8th 04, 05:15 PM
ArtKramr

Default The nature of military justice.

Many experts in military law consider the term military justice a contradiction
in terms. For example, you are charged with a crime by the military. The judge
is military, The prosecuting attourney is military, your defense attourney is
military and the entire jury is military. There is no representation that is in
any way neutral or objective. And we know the the military follows the orders
of superior officers. Where is the justice? Now lets extend that to civilian
life. You have an
argument with a neighbor and he takes you to court. When you get to court you
find the judge is your neighbors cousin. The prosecuting attourney is one of
the neighbors sons and his other son is your defense attourney. The entire
jury consists of his family. Now you have an exmple of miliitary justice which
all too often is no justice at all.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old January 8th 04, 06:00 PM
Kevin Brooks

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Many experts in military law consider the term military justice a

contradiction
in terms. For example, you are charged with a crime by the military. The

judge
is military, The prosecuting attourney is military, your defense attourney

is
military and the entire jury is military. There is no representation that

is in
any way neutral or objective. And we know the the military follows the

orders
of superior officers. Where is the justice?

Huh? Military defendants can indeed secure civilian representation if they
so desire. And since the defendant is *also* military, the process is one
conducted by his peers in the truest sense of the word. Command influence in
the courts martial process, once it gets to that point, is not allowed (but
indeed may pop up, or that accusation may occur), but then again politics
has been known to influence the justice process in the civil world. There is
an appeals process that does indeed sometimes result in the reversal of
convictions (i.e., an airman had his conviction overturned because polygraph
information was improperly used in his trial). Many courts martials result
in the defendant being exhonerated (in 1997, the US Army had 40 acquittals
out of 741 general courts martials, and 46 acquittals out of 315 special
courts martials, for a conviction rate of about 92%--see
http://www.armfor.uscourts.gov/annua...7ArmyStats.pdf ); civilian
courts at the state level had about an 88% conviction rate in 1996
(http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/psc96.pdf ), so your view that the
military process is somehow terribly "unjust" does not seem to stand up to
facts.

Brooks

Old January 8th 04, 07:12 PM
Krztalizer

I got an education in this myself. I ended up before an admin board after I
served my punishment for a minor offense. A CDR came forward and offered to
speak on my behalf, so my LTJG attorney, with six months Naval experience (just
like on JAG, right?) agreed to only have him as my personal reference. When we
walked in the hearing, we found the command-selectee CDR's new squadron legal
officer on the admin board. Not wanting to appear soft, the CDR changed course
180 degrees and blew me out of the water. My caught-in-the-headlights attorney
and I had our jaws wide open, listening to him re-write his testimony into a
personal attack. His legal officer took seconds to consider my fate and
abruptly ended the hearing; they walked out together. There was a row of four
MCPOs standing in the passageway waiting to stand up for me, but the hearing
was over just that fast. I had seen officers lie before, but never like that -
I honestly never considered this man capable of such treachery, even if I
understood the motive behind it.

But, I put myself in that situation, so I try (on alternate days) not to hate
him for it.

v/r
Gordon
Old January 8th 04, 07:21 PM
Kevin Brooks

ubject: The nature of military justice.
From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/8/04 10:00 AM Paci

Many courts martials result
in the defendant being exhonerated (in 1997, the US Army had 40

acquittals
out of 741 general courts martials, and 46 acquittals out of 315 special
courts martials, for a convi

40 equitals out of 741 is hardly "many".

A military conviction rate of 92% versus a civil conviction rate of 88%
(felonies only, IIRC, and the misdemeanor rate was a bit higher) inidicates
your premise is faulty.

And as anyone with extensive
experience in military service knows, once a board of inquiry recommends

court marshal, the chance of equital is very small as your figures prove.

FYI, courts martials are not the direct result of any "board of
inquiry"--they stem from an Article 32 investigation conducted by a single
qualified officer, appointed by the convening authority, who may or may not
recommend proceeding to courts martial; alternatively, of course, they can
also stem from the accused's refusal to accept an Article 15. Final decision
as to whether or not to conduct the CM resides with the convening authority.
A board of inquiry, in those isolated cases where one is formed, can
recommend that Artcile 32 proceedings be initiated, but they don't
"recommend a courts martial". Sounds like your "extensive service" (and
exactly how many years what that service?) left you a bit lacking in the
military justice knowledge area.

And
once the military discovers you intend to get civilian council, you might

find
youreself quietly threatened to just forget that idea.. Or else.

Bullcrap. The ads are full of civil attorneys willing to take on courts
martials--do a google and you have to wade through the attorneys pitches to
get to the hard data sites. This appears to be another typical Art Kramer,
"It is what I say it is regardless of the actual facts" diatribe. Of course
you can present some *facts* to support your baseless allegations...or can
you? And I'll wager I had more years in uniform than you did--wanna bet?

Brooks

Arthur Kramer

Old January 8th 04, 07:28 PM
Kevin Brooks

Subject: The nature of military justice.
From: Charles Gray
Date: 1/8/04 10:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

Many courts martials result
in the defendant being exhonerated (in 1997, the US Army had 40

acquittals
out of 741 general courts martials, and 46 acquittals out of 315

special
courts martials, for a convi

40 equitals out of 741 is hardly "many". And as anyone with extensive
experience in military service knows, once a board of inquiry

recommends a
court marshal, the chance of equital is very small as your figures

prove.
And
once the military discovers you intend to get civilian council, you

might
find
youreself quietly threatened to just forget that idea.. Or else.

How difficult is it to get such a reccomendation from a Board of
inquiry? I know in some states the preliminary hearing is little more
than a formality, while in others some cases are tossed out. I'm
assuming that the board is much like a preliminary hearing in that
they decide whether the case needs to proceed to a full court.

States have nothing to do with it. We are talking about military boards

of
Inquiries.

No, you are not. Read the UCMJ before you make a further fool of yourself.
Article 32 to be specific.

Old January 8th 04, 08:08 PM
ArtKramr

From: nt (Krztalizer)
Date: 1/8/04 11:12 AM Pacific Standard Time
-
I honestly never considered this man capable of such treachery, even if I
understood the motive behind it.

But, I put myself in that situation, so I try (on alternate days) not to hate
him for it.

v/r
Gordon

It goes that way all too often. But only those of us in the military realise
it. The military will do damn well as they please any time they please.

Old January 8th 04, 08:13 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/8/04 11:21 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Kevin Brooks"

Date: 1/8/04 10:00 AM Paci

[...]

Read Gordon's post and get in touch with military reality. There is a big
difference between what is written and what actually happens Bur i guess you
don't know about that.