Installing brass hardware into composite fuel bays

Old September 20th 04, 11:07 PM
Greg Reid

Default Installing brass hardware into composite fuel bays

I'm looking for tips on a proven, lightweight, leak-free, and
long-life installation of threaded brass fittings into my composite
fuel tanks. I have the typical fuel finger strainers, fuel sump, and
other threaded hardware to install. The strainer and sump may need to
be removed and reinstalled on occasion.

The obvious way is to use 1/4-inch or thicker phenolic, drilled and
tapped for the hardware. Scuffed phenolic would certainly give a nice
permanent bond with the epoxy, but I've heard that some folks who have
gone this route have had trouble later with the threads stripping in
the phenolic.

Another builder suggested that I use a 1/4-inch brass strip. I'm not
sure how well brass will bond with epoxy, and it's awfully heavy.

Aluminum is another possibility and certainly lighter, but another
recent thread in this newsgroup cautions about the difficulty of
getting a permanent epoxy bond with aluminum.

Titanium, magnesium, other? Of course if metal, it has to be
compatible with brass.

Thanks,
Greg
Old September 20th 04, 11:23 PM
Sean Trost

Greg,
How about a phenol plate bonded in to the tank. Then turn a bung with a
flange sufficient to seal and bolt to the plate. Tap the bung, install
the fitting. If it should ever stip out replace the bung and retap.

Did this as a repair on a poly tank in my jeep. Trouble free for two
years now. (without the phenol panel tho).

All the best
Sean Trost

Old September 21st 04, 12:52 AM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Greg Reid asks;

Aluminum is another possibility and certainly lighter, but another
recent thread in this newsgroup cautions about the difficulty of
getting a permanent epoxy bond with aluminum.

Every composite canard aircraft out there uses aluminum hardpoints for
NPT threaded attachments into the tank, for the wing bolts, etc. I've
never heard of any of these (2000+ aircraft) leaking or failing.
Corroding, maybe, on one or two Vari-EZ's that live near the ocean, but
that's about it. The aluminum used for the tank drain mount points is
completely buried - only the threads get exposed, and only until the
fitting is screwed in.

Data's worth more than theory.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

Old September 21st 04, 02:00 AM
Don Hammer

Greg,

I've made some repairs to German built gliders in the past. One
installation I have seen from the factory is to take a section of
brass rod approx 3/8" in diameter and drill and tap it. Knurl the
outside with a lathe and bond it in with the same epoxy as the
structure. No way will it pull out. If the threads happen to strip,
insert a helicoil.

All this is predicated on having thick enough material to make it
work.
Old September 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Greg Reid

Thanks very much for all of the helpful responses, folks. OK, I'll go
with 3/8 aluminum -- drilled and etched and bonded in place ASAP after
the etching.

Regards,
Greg

Fuel dump switch in homebuilt Jay Home Built 36 December 5th 03 02:21 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM