Should David Cameron call for UK purchase of V-22s?

Old August 21st 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Henry J Cobb

Default Should David Cameron call for UK purchase of V-22s?

http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...&obj_id=131435
In Afghanistan, British troops are playing the leading role in one of
the toughest parts - Helmand province.

We will continue to press the Government to do everything it can to
ensure our troops have sufficient support, including helicopter lift
capacity.

Afghanistan is really tough for helicopters, considering distance and
altitude parameters.

Wouldn't the V-22 be a better match?

-HJC
Old September 3rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Blair Maynard

"John Dallman" wrote in message
In article ,
(Henry J Cobb) wrote:

The V-22 only needs a runway at the start of its mission, and can fly
from the existing bases to any point in Afghanistan faster and with
fewer airbone refuelings than any helicopter would require.

You're assuming it doesn't need a runway at the far end because all its
heavy shipping will be in one direction? That's only a "mostly", rather
than an "always".

It still isn't available in volume any time shortly. And Tony Blair's
current foreign policy is sufficiently widely unpopular here that "Let's
give the Americans lots of money for slightly dodgy aircraft we can't
get for ten years" probably isn't a message that would improve Cameron's
popularity.

---
John Dallman,
, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.

I think the assumption would be at the other end the A/C is significantly
lighter because of all the fuel it has burned to get there. Which means, if
it can land, it should be able to leave with the same load. Now, if they
load it up outbound with more (to take advantage of the reduced fuel load)
or if they gas it up, it might not make it out of a higher location.

It would be interesting seeing the V-22 in Afghanistan. It certainly should
be able to fly high in airplane mode (25,000 feet), but landing would be a
problem. It has high loading of its props in heli mode so presumably the
thin air at High Alt would make it more difficult to land as a normal heli,
or at least make it take light payloads.

It is being tested right now in Gunnison CO:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4263955

Which is apparently 2,340 meters ASL

The average altitude in Afghanistan in the Hindu Kush is 4,500 meters with
mountains rising to over 6,100 meters.

Wow, just read this on Everestnews.com:

http://www.everestnews.com/stories20...er05232005.htm

Didn't know a helicopter had actually landed on top of Everest. Now, that
is the way I would go if I were getting to the top of Everest (8,850
meters)....

I guess the V-22 could fly over Everest, but I really doubt if it could
land, even empty.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Henry J Cobb

Blair Maynard wrote:
I think the assumption would be at the other end the A/C is significantly
lighter because of all the fuel it has burned to get there. Which means, if
it can land, it should be able to leave with the same load. Now, if they
load it up outbound with more (to take advantage of the reduced fuel load)
or if they gas it up, it might not make it out of a higher location.

It would be interesting seeing the V-22 in Afghanistan. It certainly should
be able to fly high in airplane mode (25,000 feet), but landing would be a
problem. It has high loading of its props in heli mode so presumably the
thin air at High Alt would make it more difficult to land as a normal heli,
or at least make it take light payloads.

It is also a very short takeoff and landing aircraft.

-HJC

Reamed out by Approach Bob Chilcoat Piloting 26 March 29th 05 12:32 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements me Military Aviation 146 January 15th 04 10:13 PM
Who do you call? Travis Marlatte Piloting 4 August 21st 03 08:16 AM