Sec. of State Rice warns Russia about Bombers off Alaska

Old August 19th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Tiger

Default Sec. of State Rice warns Russia about Bombers off Alaska

Rice warns Moscow about its bomber runs off Alaska

Jonathan S. Landay | McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: August 18, 2008 07:53:59 PM

BRUSSELS, Belgium — Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Monday ruled out
accelerating Georgia's admission to NATO in response to the Russian
invasion. But she warned Moscow that it is playing "a very dangerous
game" by resuming Cold War-era strategic bomber patrols close to the
Alaskan coast.

"Russia is a state that is unfortunately using the one tool that it has
always used whenever it wishes to deliver a message and that's its
military power," Rice told reporters en route to an emergency meeting of
NATO foreign ministers set for Tuesday. "That's not the way to deal in
the 21st century."

With Europe divided between former Soviet bloc nations, which seek tough
measures, and major powers such as Germany, which is hesitant to
jeopardize significant business and energy ties with Russia, it was
unclear whether NATO would produce a robust response to Russia's
invasion of Georgia.

Russian forces Monday continued to move around Georgia with impunity,
and senior U.S. defense officials said they were troubled by
intelligence showing the Russians had deployed SS-21 ballistic missiles
into South Ossetia with a range to strike Tbilisi, the Georgian capital.

Rice said Russia has raised questions about its place in the
international community through the invasion and other actions,
including the resumption last year for the first time since the 1991
collapse of the former Soviet Union of air patrols near the Alaskan
coast by Tu-95 strategic bombers, code-named Bears by NATO.

"We've had Russian strategic aviation challenging in ways they haven't,
even along our borders with the United States, which I might note is a
very dangerous game and perhaps one that I suggest the Russians want to
reconsider. This is not one that is cost-free," Rice said.

She did not elaborate on a U.S. reaction to the flights, which have been
widely seen as an attempt by Russia, flush with windfall oil profits, to
reassert itself as a global power despite serious problems with its
military.

Since the flights resumed in August 2007, U.S. and Canadian fighters
have intercepted the Russian bombers and escorted them away from the
U.S. coast.

U.S. officials have previously attached little real significance to the
flights by the turboprop-powered Cold War relics, and defense officials
said Monday recent flights did not provoke concerns within the Pentagon.

Russian bombers also have made forays into neutral airspace near Norway
and over U.S. aircraft carriers in the Pacific.

Rice said, however, that the Alaska patrols and the invasion of Georgia
contradicted Russia's stated desire for political and economic
integration into the international community.

She charged that Russia's offensive deep into Georgia was aimed at
"undermining" the pro-U.S. government of President Mikhail Saakashvili
and crippling the impoverished nation by damaging and destroying vital
economic infrastructure.

"That is an objective that will be denied because Georgian democracy
stands and it will stand with the help of its allies around the world,"
Rice said. "Georgian infrastructure will be rebuilt. Georgia's economy
will be reinforced."

Rice said that NATO foreign ministers would consider measures to
reinforce U.S. and European support for Georgia's territorial integrity.
For its part, the United States is also sending teams to assess the
re-equipping of Georgia's U.S.-trained military, which was battered by
superior Russian forces, and to evaluate reconstruction needs, she said.

But she said the United States would not push to accelerate approval by
the 26 foreign ministers of plans for the admission to NATO of Georgia
and the former Soviet republic of Ukraine.

Instead, the ministers were expected to reaffirm that the plans will be
considered as scheduled at a regular foreign ministers meeting in December.

"We are . . . going to send a message that we are not going to allow
Russia to draw a new line at those states that are not yet integrated
into the trans-Atlantic structures like Georgia and Ukraine," said Rice.

France and Germany blocked approval in April of the criteria they must
meet to qualify for membership, citing Georgia's unresolved territorial
disputes and vehement Russian opposition.

Rice said the ministers also would reaffirm NATO's support for former
Soviet bloc nations like Poland and the Baltic states. Though now
alliance members, those nations have been deeply unsettled by what they
saw as a tepid Western response to a major step by Moscow to reassert
its influence over its former empire.

Rice is to visit Warsaw on Wednesday to formally sign an agreement that
will allow the United States to locate anti-missile interceptors in
Poland in exchange for bolstering the country's air defenses, a move
that has enraged Russia.

Finally, she said, the foreign ministers will reassess overall relations
with Russia, which has been seeking membership in international
financial institutions and closer ties with the European Union.

"Frankly, Russia can't have it both ways. It can't act in a way that it
did in the Cold War when it was the Soviet Union and expect to be
treated as a responsible partner," Rice said.

Nancy A. Youssef in Washington contributed.

McClatchy Newspapers 2008

Old August 19th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
korben dallas

Tiger wrote:
Rice warns Moscow about its bomber runs off Alaska

this drivel is released entirely for internal consumption, considering
the upcoming election and stuff like that. outside of the usa rice have
no visibility whatsoever, which also applies to the entire neocon
clique. (it's like "stealth" technology, except that this one does work
way to render yourself irrelevant, good ol' usa! "rice warns moscow"
lol "john pumpkin from dumb****, ga warns solar system"
Old August 19th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
eyeball

On Aug 19, 3:43*am, korben dallas wrote:
Tiger wrote:
Rice warns Moscow about its bomber runs off Alaska

this drivel is released entirely for internal consumption, considering
the upcoming election and stuff like that. outside of the usa rice have
no visibility whatsoever, which also applies to the entire neocon
clique. (it's like "stealth" technology, except that this one does work
way to render yourself irrelevant, good ol' usa! "rice warns moscow"
lol "john pumpkin from dumb****, ga warns solar system"

You live in Moscow, komrade?
Old August 19th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
korben dallas

eyeball wrote:
lol "john pumpkin from dumb****, ga warns solar system"

You live in Moscow, komrade?

this question is actually deeper than you might know, sonny ))

live? well, i work in oregon. of course, i have to kind of "live" there.
or, more precisely, i "reside" there, since applying the word "live" to
anywhere in the usa is like the greatest insult to life ever. nobody
lives in the usa.

i do in fact live in moscow when i go there about once a year on vacation.
Old August 19th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 11:24*am, korben dallas wrote:
eyeball wrote:
lol "john pumpkin from dumb****, ga warns solar system"

You live in Moscow, komrade?

this question is actually deeper than you might know, sonny ))

live? well, i work in oregon. of course, i have to kind of "live" there.
or, more precisely, i "reside" there, since applying the word "live" to
anywhere in the usa is like the greatest insult to life ever. nobody
lives in the usa.

i do in fact live in moscow when i go there about once a year on vacation..

If it's so bad, why don't you leave? I'm sure someone of
your intelligence could find a good job in Moscow. Why anyone would
live where they hate is beyond me.

Old August 19th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 19, 11:46*am, korben dallas wrote:
wrote:

* * * * * *If it's so bad, why don't you leave?

what do you mean "leave"? i work there. it's like going from home to the
office, you know. not everybody likes it, but that's just the way it is.
i like my work, and as long as it is the case i can tolerate the
backwards experience of living here. many people come to work to usa
from abroad, as your know. they consider living here as necessary evil,
something you have to tolerate.

I'm sorry you have to subject yourself to such a sad
experience. You must live a sad, bitter life.

I'm sure someone of
your intelligence could find a good job in Moscow.

today this is extremely attractive, considering the significantly higher
pay coupled with only slightly higher cost of life, and immeasurably
better standards of life in moscow. i'll definitely consider it when
i'll decide to switch jobs. i actually have a number of good offers from
there.

So, what's keeping you here among the unwashed heathens? I
mean, more money and better conditions....are you a masochist?

Why anyone would
live where they hate is beyond me.

you must be a billionaire... good for you. we, ordinary folks, usually
have to make some compromises in choosing where we work and where we live..

No, it's just beyond me that anyone would choose to live where
they hate. If you have the job skills to work internationally, I'd
assume that means you have the ability to pick and choose. If you have
"good offers" where you'd prefer to be.......
Old August 19th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Dan[_9_]

Default Sec. of State Rice warns Russia ...

.... that if they don't play nice, we will hold our breath until we turn
blue!

Dan
Old August 19th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

"Dan" wrote in message
... that if they don't play nice, we will hold our breath until we turn
blue!

and stamp our feet, don't forget the stamping of feet.

remeber the republicans have said that countries don't invade other
countries in the 21st century.