The Man Who Couldn't Cleco

Old December 31st 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default The Man Who Couldn't Cleco

"LP" wrote in message
.net...
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm willing to wager that you were never in the Navy. I know Bob was &
I have heard other Navy guys call them forceps. Different lingo in
different circles. Given theat the tool isn't used to ply anything,
forceps might even be a more accurate term. Sorry that the world
doesn't conform to your expectations.

Daniel

If someone at work ask to borrow my forceps, he or she would get a deer

in
the headlight look. However, third drawer down on the right is my CLECO
pliers. Oh yeah, 23 years in the NAVY.

That is interesting. The "Aircraft Tool Control Manual - Navy and Marine
Corps" states that the C-40A AF Sheet Metal Roll-Away Tool box 5120 contains
a "Forcepts, Sheet Metal, Holding, Cleco."

See: http://www.allendoc.com/pubs/17-1C40A-1.pdf page 138.

Old December 31st 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Guys, guys, cleco, forceps, tomato, tomotto

"Every ship [squadron] is different."
(7 years in the Navy)

Happy New Year
Old December 31st 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
:That is interesting. The "Aircraft Tool Control Manual - Navy and Marine
:Corps" states that the C-40A AF Sheet Metal Roll-Away Tool box 5120

contains
:a "Forcepts, Sheet Metal, Holding, Cleco."
:
:See: http://www.allendoc.com/pubs/17-1C40A-1.pdf page 138.

snip
(And the Navy apparently spells it with a T)

Kelly forceps are also great for holding small things together while
epoxy hardens.

Richard "Landlubber" Riley
Zero years in the Navy

Richard the Navy doesn't spell it with a "T". It is just a matter of me not
being able to type.

Old December 31st 05, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thank you Jim...and LP.

There are those of us that work in the "Real World" to keep'em flyin...and
those that wanna "Go by the book".
(forceps,sheetmetal holding, secured clamp, cleco, 1 each per tool
container, mobile,7 drawer, four wheels, one handle...and
Blah...Blah...Blah...Blah....

I wish the book guy's would get outta'tha' way...they're slowin the rest of
us down.

Dave...one of the 10% and damn proud of it.
NARFJAX (now NADEP) WG-10 "Tinbender" P-3, S-2, S-3, T-2, A-7, F/A-18
line.
How long???...Too long.

. ..

Old January 1st 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:10:43 GMT, "LP"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

D.Reid wrote:
"Forceps"???...what the hell are "FORCEPS"???
I been in the "trade" for 30 years and I never heard of nuttin called
forceps!!!...that had anything to do with cleco's...

I'm willing to wager that you were never in the Navy. I know Bob was &
I have heard other Navy guys call them forceps. Different lingo in
different circles. Given theat the tool isn't used to ply anything,
forceps might even be a more accurate term. Sorry that the world
doesn't conform to your expectations.

Daniel

If someone at work ask to borrow my forceps, he or she would get a deer in
the headlight look. However, third drawer down on the right is my CLECO
pliers. Oh yeah, 23 years in the NAVY.

I've worked with and around electronics most of my life and computers
since they came on the scene. If you ask for my forceps that is
exactly what is in the second drawer down in the smaller tool box,
right along with a bunch of dentists tools. I think there are probably
a couple of scalpels in there too.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 1st 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:23:18 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:34:11 -0700, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

:
:"LP" wrote in message
nk.net...
: wrote in message
: oups.com...
:
[...]

Very strange. I use forceps to temporarily clamp 2 sheets of sheet
aluminum together all the time - before they are drilled or clecoed.
Specifically, 5" straight or curved Kelly forceps. I'd never heard of
cleco pliers being cals that. (And the Navy apparently spells it with
a T)

Kelly forceps are also great for holding small things together while
epoxy hardens.

I thought that was what fingers were for, at least when using the fast
setting variety (or super glue)

Old January 1st 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Roger wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:10:43 GMT, "LP"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

D.Reid wrote:

[...]

They make terrific heat sinks.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 1st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"D.Reid" wrote in message
Thank you Jim...and LP.

There are those of us that work in the "Real World" to keep'em flyin...and
those that wanna "Go by the book".
(forceps,sheetmetal holding, secured clamp, cleco, 1 each per tool
container, mobile,7 drawer, four wheels, one handle...and
Blah...Blah...Blah...Blah....

I wish the book guy's would get outta'tha' way...they're slowin the rest

of
us down.

Dave...one of the 10% and damn proud of it.
NARFJAX (now NADEP) WG-10 "Tinbender" P-3, S-2, S-3, T-2, A-7, F/A-18
line.
How long???...Too long.

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
. ..
Guys, guys, cleco, forceps, tomato, tomotto

"Every ship [squadron] is different."
(7 years in the Navy)

Happy New Year

While putting iron in the air is all of our goals, I can appreciate Wayne
being able to quote the C-40 Tool pub as his reference. Working at a
civilian helicopter completions center, I know that when the FAA shows up
and asks what adhesive you are using when installing a doubler, you better
be able to show him/her the information in the appropriate Structural Repair
Manual you referenced when doing that modification.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"LP" wrote in message
k.net...

Nawww.....Thats Engineerings Department. Just refer the Feds to them.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:10:43 GMT, "LP"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

D.Reid wrote:
[...]

Now Roger...we're talkin' a different kinda "animule" here...You're
absolutly right. In Electronics and "Delicate" instrument work "Forceps"
certainly have there place...but...They were talkin about "Cleco pliers".

(Big Grin)
Dave