Non-Owners insurance- Worthless?

Old January 12th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Non-Owners insurance- Worthless?

I recently purchased Non-Owners (renter/borrower) Insurance so that I
could rent a ship at Minden, and take friends up in a 2 seater at
Williams. The company was Avemco, and they claimed when I called them,
that Experimental aircraft were covered as long as there was a valid
airworthiness certificate.

I subsequently rented a glider after presenting proof of insurance with
Avemco, and was told that they had contacted Avemco and Experimental
aircraft were not covered. My limited understanding is that many
gliders in the rental pool fall into the experimental category, perhaps
up to half. I guess you can't tell by type of glider either, as it
depends on how they were imported, equipment, etc. (my knowledge is
obviously sketchy here..)

When I complained, to their credit, Avemco allowed me to cancel with a
full refund, but I am glad I caught this. It doesn't seem to be
explicitly stated in the policy or the website.

Does anyone know where a guy can get non-owner's insurance that covers
experimental gliders from a reputable company?

Thanks!

Old January 12th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Interesting! I don't have an answer for Matt regarding Non-owner's
insurance, but it appears that the SSA Endorsement to my AIG policy for
my ASW-19 has a useful amendment. This amendment changes the standard
policy exclusion of only allowing coverage for Standard Airworthiness
Certificated aircraft to permit coverage for Standard, Utility and
Experimental aircraft. Not only does this apply to my own aircraft, it
applies to aircraft I might rent.

It probably worth reading your policy if you don't get your aircraft's
insurance through the SSA and you want to rent an Expermental ship.

Matt, have you tried contacting Costello (the official insurance broker
for the SSA)? They advertise renter's insurance, and if it comes with
the same SSA endorsement I have you'll be covered with Experimental
ships.

-John

Old January 12th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

That is one of the real pluses of the SSA plan if you are a private
owner and an extended coverage that I understand was dropped by USAIG
last time around. Coverage is to the limit of your hull coverage, so
may not be adequate in some cases. Ask Costello.

Frank

Old January 12th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Matt Herron Jr." wrote in message
oups.com...

I subsequently rented a glider after presenting proof of insurance with
Avemco, and was told that they had contacted Avemco and Experimental
aircraft were not covered. My limited understanding is that many
gliders in the rental pool fall into the experimental category, perhaps
up to half. I guess you can't tell by type of glider either, as it
depends on how they were imported, equipment, etc. (my knowledge is
obviously sketchy here..)

Under what conditions can you rent an experimental glider? Doesn't 91.319
prohibit that?

Vaughn

Old January 12th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Matt Herron Jr." wrote in message
oups.com...
I subsequently rented a glider after presenting proof of insurance with
Avemco, and was told that they had contacted Avemco and Experimental
aircraft were not covered. My limited understanding is that many
gliders in the rental pool fall into the experimental category, perhaps
up to half. I guess you can't tell by type of glider either, as it
depends on how they were imported, equipment, etc. (my knowledge is
obviously sketchy here..)

Under what conditions can you rent an experimental glider? Doesn't 91.319
prohibit that?

How so? A pilot renting a glider is not "Carrying persons or property
for compensation or hire."

Marc
Old January 12th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Looks like paragraph f) prohibits it, but I know for a fact it is
happening. Interesting. So then what happens in the event of an
accident in an experimental rental? Lawsuit? Or worse, your insurance
that claims to cover experimental then denies coverage based on
91.319f. They would still be on the hook for "borrowed" experimental
aircraft I expect.

Any lawyers out there have an opinion?

Old January 13th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

(f) No person may lease an aircraft that is issued an experimental
certificate under §21.191 (i) of this chapter, except in accordance
with paragraph (e)(1) of this section.

Old January 13th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

Vaughn Simon wrote:

Under what conditions can you rent an experimental glider? Doesn't 91.319
prohibit that?

Vaughn

1) Experimental A/C are supposed to have the word Experimental in a
conspicues (sp) place on the A/C.
2) It's up to the PIC to determine that the A/C is in airworthy
condition ie. ARROW. This goes as far as for you to check the A/C log
to see if the annual or 100 hour inspection has been performed as
required per FAR's.
3) You won't find very many if any 2 place rental ships in the
Experimental catagory on the flight line for rent.

How bout it CB ?