Botched handoffs

Old March 5th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Botched handoffs

I would like to review the several ways that a handoff of control can go awry.

Here's my best botched handoff, so far (knock on wood).

I was flying with an instructor in the backseat. A very strong quartering crosswind had blown up while we were in the air. Last flight of the day, so I was planning to stop a bit past the launch point (closer to the hangar). There was a group of people standing abeam the launch point.

I had started to round out ~15 feet above the ground, with an extreme crab and (it seemed) pointed right at the group of people. Due to the crosswind, ground speed was very slow. The grass field and the slow ground speed made it difficult to judge the ground track and the offset from the crowd.

Instructor says 'My aircraft', slams the spoilers shut, and pushes the nose down, then says 'Your aircraft'. WTF? Landed okay. We laughed. Instructor says, 'yeah... I should have finished the flare. Sorry.'.

Other examples of botched handoffs?

Old March 6th 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

I won't name names, but once upon a time I watched two extremely experienced and competent pilots fly a Grob 103 right off the end of the landing area at CCSC and into head high weeds and brush. Both thought the other was flying. Not sure where the handoff was botched since the glider flew a normal looking pattern and approach. Took the rest of the day to get the milkweed sap off the canopy and nose of the glider.
Old March 6th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQGFLxadGiM

Old March 6th 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was teaching my son to fly and on one of his early landings, he lined up between the taxiway and the runway! I said something like, “let me help you a little” and ruddered us over to the runway then turned loose of the stick thinking he would finish the landing. He thought I was still flying, so.............nobody was flying! I thought that Grob would never stop bouncing. The G-103 twin two has one hell of a strong gear!
Lesson learned, ever sense, I have used what I learned in the USAF where I say, “I’ve got it “ and shake the stick! If I’m giving control to you, I say “ you’ve got it and YOU shake the stick! Shaking the stick let’s both pilots know the other guy is on the controlls before you get off. I believe this situation could be what allowed the aircraft to get so out of control in a recent Duo accident.
Food for thought,
JJ
Old March 6th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed.

I only have about 8 years as a CFI-G, I have had to intervene a few times.
While others are flying, a control nudge with a "I'm helping" and a discussion later or, "my glider/sailplane/ship" possibly followed by a wait for, "your ship.......I have it".
When close to my margins, I may not wait for a "your ship" before doing pilot stuff.

Yes, goal as a senior pilot (commercial pilot on a ride letting a newb fly, CFI letting a student get over their head), my comment to any other pilot is....."I will let you get over your head, I will NEVER let you get over my head.".

I consider myself the PIC, my goal, do what is required, be prepared to explain if something gets bent/broken to the FAA.
Old March 6th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

As an instructor, if I have had control any time on the approach or later, I will never give back control - we are now in a critical phase of flight and the student won't have time to settle himself properly.
Old March 6th 19, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

If you get into, "oh poop" and take over, I will say.....your choice of handing it back. But......must have a definitive "your ship" followed by a, "my ship"..,.....otherwise, still YOUR ship even if you didn't state it but made it sorta clear by yanking controls.
Still comes down to.....PIC is in charge of the flight........sudden stuff may make it hard to do a formal control handoff.
Your goal as PIC is ensure a safe outcome....discussion/argument can happen after any landing and you walk away.

****er is when 2 highly rated pilots in the ship. One thinks it's OK, one is scared.......welp.....get on the ground (hopefully safely).....then discuss.....maybe a few beers are required......hopefully no police involved.......;-)
Old March 7th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I took a fellow glider rated airline pilot for an aerobatic ride in an Extra 300L one day. On the way back to the airport I asked him to take the controls so I could tune the radio and get ATIS, we did the full positive exchange of controls routine. As we descended past the cloud bases the usual turbulence began. That's when Joe began a series of poor quality aileron rolls.. "What are you doing to me I'm heads down back here? Keep it level!" I exclaimed.
"I thought you were doing that!" He responded.
The Extra has neutral roll stability and when we flew through the turbulence the airplane began to roll as a reaction to the displacement and just kept going! My buddy thought I was having fun messing with him I guess. In hind sight I should have explained the consequences of the lack of stability in the airplane.
Old March 7th 19, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

No.......pre flight, explain the exchange of control.
From your post.......he had his head up his butt.....but only going by your post......

Part of why I like a 2-33, when the fronter does something stupid/not agreed apon, you can still smack them upside the head.....
When in doubt, choke them out so YOU don't die!
Old March 8th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 4:37:48 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

Back in Germany a student didn't make progress with his instructor, he got nothing but criticism on his patterns. After one flight he got and laughed for 10 min. Told us he'd had it with all the crud he got from the back seat and, on downwind, just let go of the stick. Low and behold, the glider made a nice turn to base and then to final. The airbrakes came out for a perfect landing. "See, his instructor said proudly, you finally got it."
Herb