Any winter flying in Switzerland?

Old December 19th 03, 09:05 PM
Nick

Default Any winter flying in Switzerland?

I'll be working in Zürich during January and February (maybe March too) and
I am wondering if it is possible to get a few flights in a glider somewhere?
Are there any clubs that fly more or less regularly during the winter, and
accept guest members?

With all those nice mountains, it should be possible to get good lift
somewhere...

Old December 19th 03, 11:29 PM
George Vranek

"Nick" wrote in message

I'll be working in Zürich during January and February (maybe March too)

and
I am wondering if it is possible to get a few flights in a glider

somewhere?
Are there any clubs that fly more or less regularly during the winter, and
accept guest members?

With all those nice mountains, it should be possible to get good lift
somewhere...

Hallo Nick,

After ca. 1 hour of car draving from Zürich in direction south on the lake
of Luzern is the airport Buochs www.airportbuochs.ch , where the Gliding
Club Nidwalden www.sg-nidwalden.ch is flying in winter with their touring
motorglider Super Dimona. In addition to it, it could be possible (I have to
ask first) to fly with a private owner of a Nimbus 4DM in his super equipped
machine. He does a lot of flying in winter and is at the moment no. 1 in OLC
Europe.

George

Old December 23rd 03, 07:12 AM
CH

Best chances to fly gliders in Swiss winter is
while the southerly wind "foehn" is blowing.
There are no thermals over the snow, but good
wave flying in winter up to 10'000m, if Zurich
traffic control would like you......
Inform yourself at the soaring homepage of
Schaenis, a soaring center 50km east of Zuerich
which offers service over the week as well.

http://www.schaenissoaring.ch/
live cams
http://www.schaenissoaring.ch/webcam...ectedMenuID=63

Schänis Soaring