A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Noise Canceling headset

Old February 5th 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Noise Canceling headset

What is the best value noise canceling headset for a motor glider.

Since the back seat persons head in only inches from the motor - I want to protect their hearing.

WH
Old February 5th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:11:51 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Since the back seat persons head in only inches from the motor - I want to protect their hearing.

WH

I use the Bose QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® earbuds. That, with a 3.5mm to 4.5mm jack adapter works nicely. For me, earbuds are better than a headset because of limited space to hang / store a headset after climbing out. BTW, they are great on long commercial flights to cancel the engine noise and are comfortable to wear. Craig
Old February 5th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-8, Craig Reinholt wrote:

WH

I use the Bose QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® earbuds. That, with a 3.5mm to 4.5mm jack adapter works nicely. For me, earbuds are better than a headset because of limited space to hang / store a headset after climbing out. BTW, they are great on long commercial flights to cancel the engine noise and are comfortable to wear. Craig

+1 on the Bose. I've been using them for years. Started out just during engine runs, now I wear them the entire flight, cuts down on the wind noise, makes radio reception at high speed perfect. No room in my 26Mi for a big headset.
Old February 5th 19, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:08:09 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-8, Craig Reinholt wrote:

WH

+1 on the Bose. I've been using them for years. Started out just during engine runs, now I wear them the entire flight, cuts down on the wind noise, makes radio reception at high speed perfect. No room in my 26Mi for a big headset.

Another advantage of earbuds: They don't scratch the canopy when being donned or removed. Less polishing.
Jim
Old February 5th 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Lederman
external usenet poster

I use the Bose A20 in my Stemme S12. I am just over six feet tall with a long torso so the thick headband can touch the canopy so I rest the headband on the bill of my hat. It looks stupid but works, and beauty is as beauty does.

I tried the Bose Proflight Aviation headset with ear buds, as Bose will tell you, the noise reduction is not nearly as good as the A20, and not nearly enough for the S12. They were simply terrible in my Stemme. Bose was great and took them back with a full refund.
Old February 5th 19, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

From a base of no prior knowledge I too have looking into noise cancelling headsets for a self launching glider. Those Bose earbuds sound good but I figured that a noise cancelling microphone was as, if not more, important as the speakers (??) because in the ASH 26e I have flown recently I had problems making myself understood on the radio with a normal boom microphone when the engine was running.

I have been looking for a lightweight compact conventional headset and currently I am considering the Telex Airman 8 ANR headset (with a noise cancelling microphone and ANR earphones) which looks to be substantial enough to survive glider cockpit life but not too bulky. Reviews of this suggest it is not as good as full size top name headsets for professional use but hopefully enough for short term use during engine runs.

Old February 5th 19, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 10:11:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:

WH

A set of headphones has to be a big item in the cockpit of a glider.

What about earplugs you use at the gun range? The last thing I want is headphones on when I 'm soaring and listening to the air around me. So, for the small amount of time served by the headphones for engine noise, is this worth it?

I have the Bose for the Helicopter and it is a must in that contraption!

Just Curious...

Gary
"SQ"
Old February 5th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 7:17:46 PM UTC, Gary Wayland wrote:

WH

A set of headphones has to be a big item in the cockpit of a glider.

What about earplugs you use at the gun range? The last thing I want is headphones on when I 'm soaring and listening to the air around me. So, for the small amount of time served by the headphones for engine noise, is this worth it?

I have the Bose for the Helicopter and it is a must in that contraption!

Just Curious...

Gary
"SQ"

In my limited SLS experience without a headset I find it difficult to make and receive intelligible lining up and take off calls.
Old February 5th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid
external usenet poster

If you already own a Bose QC 15, 25, or 35, you can add a microphone from uflymike.com. I used the older version for years in 737s, and it worked well and was much more comfortable than the full size Bose aviation headset. I've used it in Cessnas as well, and it was adequate, so should work fine in self launchers.

Mike
Old February 6th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

WH

HALO from http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ind...te=common/home

It is an excellent headset at reasonable price.

Andrzej