We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Old March 21st 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

Since someone said the price was $19,500, that's $88,294.77 in today's
dollars. Still a bunch. For that money you could get at least a used
ASW-27 so why rebuild a '19?

On 3/20/2017 8:25 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, let's just say that the ASW-19, brand new in 1975 cost $25,000,
though I'm sure it was a bit more. Adjusting for inflation, that's
$116,296.72 in today's dollars ($30K inflates to $139,556.07).

Guess that sucks the wind out of your sails, huh, Wilbur? A similar
lookup could just as easily be done for the first production year of
the PW-5.

On 3/20/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:
How and why, was the PW-5 made for so cheap?

Nobody can answer this because it proves you are wrong!

Basic sailplanes do not cost a fortune to build. There is a market
for entry level gliders with a handicap of 1.00 for a reasonable
price. Few pilots want to own a 40-50 year old fiberglass sailplane.

How much did an ASW-19 cost brand new in 1975?

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 21st 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Read Andy Blackburn's post! He presented it in terms even someone with more dreams and desire than economics education should be able to understand. Not intending to be flippant.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:50:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

The answer alone removes all doubt that affordable sailplanes CAN be made!

Old March 21st 17, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

This thread is really bad, but yet I keep reading it. Please! Someone stop me.
Old March 21st 17, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

A literary dumpster fire, so to speak.
Old March 21st 17, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.
Old March 21st 17, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 19:34:09 UTC+11, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:50:01 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Again, no one on here will discuss these questions:

How much was a PW-5 brand new?

Is it not a rhetorical question? I believe my club's two PW5s in 1994 or 1995 (which were somewhere in the first five or six serial numbers) cost NZ$25000, or about US$15000.

What would that be worth in today's dollars with inflation?

That's US$24000 now, based on US inflation.

I suspect other factors such as the cost of living in Poland might be more relevant -- that looks to me more like a factor of 3.5 since the mid 90s, which would make a PW5 cost $52500 now.

I was surprised to find that a new Perkoz is not far off the cost of a new Duo. The landscape has changed a lot since our club bought its Puchacz (and Junior and Jantar).

Cheers Ben
Old March 21st 17, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Thank you Bruce, thank you.

Yes that's right. According to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com a PW-5 in today's money would be $23,976.

I'll repeat that a second time for clarification $23,976.

And a third time for impact $23,976

I rest my case to all you naysayers who say a glider can't be produced at a reasonable cost!

There it is. An ASW-19 WAS cutting edge on the production line, a PW-5 was NOT! "If" the PW-5 didn't look like a Volkswagen clown car, it would have revolutionized the sport. Perhaps someone should take a aesthetically pleasing 15 meter popular club class glider and replicate it using the same production quality of the PW-5 and sell them.

Here's to hoping a second chance at the great intentions of the PW-5 to someone out there. If we had that, the hopes and dreams of a world class would be a reality, and soaring would be made great again.
Old March 21st 17, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Well when that glider was produced, the wages in Poland were peanuts. Whilst I am sure that current wages in Poland do not match wages in Germany, clearly the polish businesses worked out that it is useful to set prices closer to those in the west. So the simplistic comparison where the dollar price is inflated by the inflation factor is not accurate. The landscape has changed.

Cheers

Paul

Old March 21st 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Here's your chance, Wilbur/Sean. Sell your ASG-29 and buy 10 used PW-5s
and hand them out to deserving individuals and/or clubs. You can ensure
your place in history with that one selfless act!

But, as was said earlier, you can build something ugly or something
pretty (performance, looks, whatever) for the same price, but you won't
build thinner airfoils for the same price. If you could, why weren't
then done in the past? Hint: it wasn't science, it was technology
(theory vs engineering/materials) and the materials to produce the
theory cost more, not to mention the labor.

Is this thing repeating? To paraphrase Einstein: Saying the same thing
over and over again is the definition of insanity. Maybe Sean/Wilbur is
simply trying to drive us all mad and we're taking the bait.

I'm out (I hope).