First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

Old February 12th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Default First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

Well, at least they had big droppings to follow You could follow
them at 1000 feet...

Scott

Dan wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:06:29 -0700, "Jon Woellhaf"

wrote:

Scott wrote

... [My maps] are made of paper and have as many folds as an
accordion

Both my son and I thought one of the most difficult aviation skills
to master was folding and refolding charts while flying.

Try it in an open cockpit. Typically, it just ends up getting mashed
under my
butt.... :-)

Ron "How do I clew this thing up" Wanttaja

In my day we didn't have maps. We used IFD (I follow dinosaurs) rules.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old February 13th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Scott wrote
... [My maps] are made of paper and have as many folds as an accordion

Both my son and I thought one of the most difficult aviation skills to
master was folding and refolding charts while flying.

I take it back. We still don't have it mastered.

Grasshopper;
You have not yet mastered map origami, you cannot class master status as
aviator yet.
Old February 13th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 11, 9:09 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Recently, Kev posted:
Still, maybe it's a non-issue, since we don't seem to hear of lots of
collisions around VORs. Seems like mid-airs are mostly around
airports. Anyone know the real stats of locations offhand?

I don't know the stats, but I lost a friend in this exact scenario about a
year ago. His plane (homebuilt Lancair) overtook a C-172 with an IFR
student and instructor near a VOR. All were killed. I've avoided
overflying VORs since then.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Neil.

I have a buddy who makes a point of looking for and directly
overflying VORs. He just likes looking at them. His habit has always
creeped me out a little, because if he's not the only doing it...

Kev

Old February 14th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Once again, Mx shows a better understanding of some of these
concepts...

He is exactly right....

Dave

On 10 Feb 2007 12:21:30 -0800, "buttman" wrote:

On Feb 10, 11:56 am, Jim Carriere wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Fortunately, mathematics can help. If everyone flies around completely at
random, it's statistically wildly improbable that any aircraft will ever
collide. In fact, traffic patterns, airways, altitude restrictions, and
navaids actually increase the chances of a collision, rather than decreasing

This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long LONG time!

Thanks for the laugh!

What exactly is so funny about it? He is right.

Old February 14th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

AWWWW c'mon!

He is asking so he can read more on the subject...

What's the problem with someone wishing the reference to learn more?

I detect no inference here that he was questioning the author as to
validity...

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 04:09:05 GMT, "Casey Wilson"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
Kev writes:

Never mind, I googled it myself, and here's a good summary from the
USAF:

What's the URL, and what else did they have to say about the problem?

I have asked you on a number of occasions to attribute statements
you have made to determine the context. Why do you have the temerity to ask
someone to cite a source and provide context when you have consistently
refused to do the same?

Old February 14th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Heh, heh,

Want to guess how many plug in VOR locations as waypoints in their
GPS?

.....so they can switch to the VOR instantly if the GPS goes TU?

GPS will take you to a VOR very nicely...

Dave

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:50:24 -0500, Roger
wrote:

On 10 Feb 2007 16:25:25 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

On Feb 10, 4:20 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Jim Carriere" wrote

Hmm! At first glance that conclusion seems counterintuitive, but I guess
you learn something new every day.

But leaving an event up to chance as the avoidance mechanism, is not
something that sits well with people. I have to feel that way, in that the
results of "winning" the odds are so dire.

Absolute agreement. To me, it's a good reason to be "heads up" when
flying over VORs, since they can really concentrate aircraft. Most
of us are spending more time on the gauges watching for the arrow to
change.

I see more aircraft close to VORs than any other place except in the
traffic pattern. When you are headed one way and opposing VFR traffic
is only 500 feet above or below if they are right on altitude they
look *CLOSE*. :-))

Still, maybe it's a non-issue, since we don't seem to hear of lots of
collisions around VORs. Seems like mid-airs are mostly around
airports. Anyone know the real stats of locations offhand?

I don't have any stats, but from what I remember in the news in recent
years "it seems" as if most mid airs are close to airport. OTOH there
are some outstanding exceptions such as the two jets last fall or
summer down in South America.

Thanks, Kev

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old February 14th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_1_]

The only time I do is when the VOR is co-located on the field...but not
saying that I never COULD do that! GPS will take you nicely to an NDB, a
Taco Bell or any other waypoint that's programmed in

Scott

Old February 14th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 10, 8:06 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Kev writes:
Never mind, I googled it myself, and here's a good summary from the
USAF:

[....about mid-air avoidance ...]

What's the URL, and what else did they have to say about the problem?

Google "mid-air collision statistics af.mil" and it's one of the first
few you get.

Kev

Old February 14th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

Google "mid-air collision statistics af.mil" and it's one of the first
few you get.

If it's one of the af.mil links, it's inaccessible outside the United States.
The Air Force is much more cowardly than the other military services, and so
it is the only one that disallows "foreign" access to its sites.

Old February 14th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave writes:

Want to guess how many plug in VOR locations as waypoints in their
GPS?

....so they can switch to the VOR instantly if the GPS goes TU?

I'm not sure that it's so that they can switch instantly to the VOR. In fact,
I doubt that they even bother to tune the VOR.

GPS will take you to a VOR very nicely...

And at least as accurately as the real thing, which makes it at least as great
a risk for midair collisions. And it's easier to do a DIRECT-TO to a VOR than
to tune it and follow it with instruments, so now the pilots reaching VORs
with great accuracy may not be as bright as their predecessors.