IFR GNS 430 with expired database

Old April 21st 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Travis Marlatte

Default IFR GNS 430 with expired database

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes and no. To use the GPS to substitute for DME on a VOR-DME
approach is an approach operation. It requires a C129(A1) certified
box with a current database.

Reference please? I think using a GPS for DME is a terminal operation - not
approach. Even when it is part of the approach such as a VOR-DME. Same for a
DME Arc.

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old April 21st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Travis Marlatte wrote:

If I had an expired database, I don't think I would file /G.

No reason not to, it's perfectly legal.

But, I would
accept a direct clearance.

Irrelevant.

If I can find an airport that hasn't moved in 50
years

Or even the last few days since the database was current.

or a FAF, ATC doesn't care how I do it. Of course, if I screw it up,
I'll have some 'splainin to do.

You would anyways.

Old April 21st 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Yes and no. To use the GPS to substitute for DME on a VOR-DME
approach is an approach operation. It requires a C129(A1) certified
box with a current database.

Absolutely wrong.

Reference please? I think using a GPS for DME is a terminal operation - not
approach. Even when it is part of the approach such as a VOR-DME. Same for a
DME Arc.

Correct. Current database not required.