I don't know how to flight plan any more

Old April 27th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ross

Default I don't know how to flight plan any more

Jim Carter wrote:
C'mon Matt - power mowers are the way to go, but when they break it sure is
nice to still be in shape to use the slingblade if we have to. That was my
whole point.

Our next EAA meeting is going to be on the old pilotage. Then in a
couple of weeks, we will be given a short route to fly that is not over
VORS, etc. Honor system not to turn on the GPS. Time and fuel burn will
be recorded (by refilling at the destination). The destination is lunch
and compare results. We will not know the route until that day. Should
be fun.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

[...] I'm going to be taking the Dakota - and unlike the Lance, the
Dakota has a Garmin 530W in it. Now normally, I'd pull out the
route I have on my PDA in CoPilot, plot it on a couple of low
altitude enroute charts, and file a flight plan on those airways.
But with the GPS, I'm not sure how to proceed. [...]

Why not do the exact same thing - follow the airways and make
controllers' lives probably a little bit easier?

- FChE
Old April 27th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. ..
C'mon Matt - power mowers are the way to go, but when they break it sure
is nice to still be in shape to use the slingblade if we have to. That was
my whole point.

I would hope that making the "when the damn things quit" point would be
rhetorical, just like when the engine quits, the radio quits, the vacuum
punp pukes, the NAV radio goes "boink"...

I can't see a G-V pilot keeping a sectional at their side :~)

BTW, what is the MTBF of a ADHARS versus a vacuum pump? :~)

Maybe our complaceny is more a matter of orders-of-magnitude better
reliability they provide, than the copious amounts of data they give us.

Call me careless/reckless, but if my system goes kablooie, I'd call ATC on
the handheld I always carry, declare a loss of navigation instrumentation,
and ask for vectors.

I'm probably a bit testy, but I get tired of hearing the neo-Luddite alarms.
Since there is no known instance in NTSB records of an accident after a nav
system failure, it's likely our attention should be more on losing control
when things ARE going well, such as CFIT, the (much) bigger source of
accidents.

Jim, I certainly hope you cut your grass with a slingblade.

Oh, BTW, when I mowed my grass for the firs time this year, the mower pickup
up a small rock and took out the glass in our sliding glass door for the
patio. :~(

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

Old April 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

[...] I'm going to be taking the Dakota - and unlike the Lance, the
Dakota has a Garmin 530W in it. Now normally, I'd pull out the
route I have on my PDA in CoPilot, plot it on a couple of low
altitude enroute charts, and file a flight plan on those airways.
But with the GPS, I'm not sure how to proceed. [...]

Why not do the exact same thing - follow the airways and make
controllers' lives probably a little bit easier?

Because that would NOT make their lives easier (due to congestion on the
airways)?

Old April 27th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Matt Barrow" writes:

Why not do the exact same thing - follow the airways and make
controllers' lives probably a little bit easier?

Because that would NOT make their lives easier (due to congestion on the
airways)?

Where did you hear that this was a serious problem (for spam cans)?
And just in case it were a problem any given day, a controller who
sees a /G can issue a direct clearance as a "decongestant".

- FChE
Old April 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Funny you should mention the G-V and sectional scenario Matt.

I had a couple of Cadets up in our CAP 182 this past February after we had
been talking about VFR charts before the flight. We had nice weather so we
were doing the KROG KFSM KROG seat change routine.

After checking in with Approach and getting sequenced behind a BeechJet we
heard our kerosene burning brethren call out "Hey Approach - what is that
big river down there off our port wing?" to which Approach replied
"According to my sectional, that's the Arkansas River". Utter silence...
until some wanko keyed a mic and we could all hear laughing in the
background.

I used that as an abject lesson in always knowing where you are if for no
other reason than not looking stupid.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. ..

I can't see a G-V pilot keeping a sectional at their side :~)

Old April 27th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Ross wrote in
:

Our next EAA meeting is going to be on the old pilotage. Then in a
couple of weeks, we will be given a short route to fly that is not over
VORS, etc. Honor system not to turn on the GPS. Time and fuel burn will
be recorded (by refilling at the destination). The destination is lunch
and compare results. We will not know the route until that day. Should
be fun.

Unless someone cheats by leaning.
Old April 27th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Back in the '70s when the colleges and universities all had flight schools
we used to have an annual competition on just this sort of precision flying
and planning. Leaning for proper speed and power was essential because it
was not unusual for the difference between first and second place to be
measured in seconds deviation from planned time enroute and tenths of
gallons of deviation from planned fuel burn.

We also used to have spot landing contests which were usually won by the
pilot that hit the exact spot the most times out of three or six or how many
ever it took to separate first and second place. Those damn chalk lines were
only about 3" wide - we used a baseline marker to lay them on the runway.
The two lines were 3 or 4 inches apart and the trick was to miss the first
line and hit the second so the target spot was only about 6 or 7 inches
wide.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

Unless someone cheats by leaning.

Old April 28th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Matt Barrow wrote:
I would hope that making the "when the damn things quit" point would be
rhetorical, just like when the engine quits, the radio quits, the vacuum
punp pukes, the NAV radio goes "boink"...

Rhetorical? I've had every one of your scenarios happen to me more than once.
They do happen, maybe to you. Lightning doesn't always strike the other guy.

Bottom line: don't put all your eggs in one basket if you can help it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 28th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
Funny you should mention the G-V and sectional scenario Matt.

I had a couple of Cadets up in our CAP 182 this past February after we had
been talking about VFR charts before the flight. We had nice weather so we
were doing the KROG KFSM KROG seat change routine.

After checking in with Approach and getting sequenced behind a BeechJet we
heard our kerosene burning brethren call out "Hey Approach - what is that
big river down there off our port wing?" to which Approach replied
"According to my sectional, that's the Arkansas River". Utter silence...
until some wanko keyed a mic and we could all hear laughing in the
background.

I used that as an abject lesson in always knowing where you are if for no
other reason than not looking stupid.

Was he lost...or just curious?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. ..

I can't see a G-V pilot keeping a sectional at their side :~)

OSH flight plan Dan Luke Piloting 3 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
Flight plan hell, Tales of filing an ADIZ flight plan Michelle P Piloting 30 July 15th 05 06:28 AM
IFR Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 9 September 16th 04 05:39 AM
Flight Plan and Flight Log excel spreadsheet. Marco Rispoli Piloting 2 January 14th 04 09:12 PM
Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 15 October 11th 03 08:03 AM