I don't know how to flight plan any more

Old April 29th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default I don't know how to flight plan any more

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. net...
Right - a local landmark that is a navigable waterway with barge traffic
to an inland port that stretches from the Colorado Rockies to the
Mississippi River. Silly me expecting someone to have an inkling of where
or what that might be. I stand corrected Matt.

If you think such Geographic Trivia is pertinent to Situational Awareness,
in instrument flight, I don't think I want to be in the same airspace.

No wonder the folks in the next step up from recreational flight have 3-5
times better safety records than the spam car drivers.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. net...
Just curious - he had the airport in sight. Still, it was a wonderful
example to drive home the concept of situational awareness I was trying
to teach the kids.

If situational awareness (SA) includes knowing local landmarks that at
irrelevant to the situation at hand, I'd say your concept of SA is
faulty.

That maybe why G-V drivers have a far better accident record than the Rec
Aviation amatures.

Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

,,,

Was he lost...or just curious?

Old April 29th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Anno v. Heimburg" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

Because that would NOT make their lives easier (due to congestion on the
airways)?

FWIW, I remember Dan Brown (Atlanta Center) writing on AVWeb that he only
offered direct when his workload was low. According to him, it is easier
keep track of lots of aircraft when they move in well-known patterns than
when they move all over the screen (even if in straight lines). IIRC, he
characterized issuing direct as a favor of the controller that makes then
pilot's life easier but not necessarily the controller's.

Isn't it odd, in that case, that they are pushing GPS/RNAV.

Seems contradictory, doesn't it?

Old April 30th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
vincent p. norris

But with the GPS, I'm not sure how to
proceed. Should I just draw a straight line and file direct?

Yes. ATC doesn't care how you get there, provided you do it correctly,
as you file.

Even before GPS was ever heard of, I would file "direct" to Dulles and
DCA, ratehr than by airways, because I could do that using just VORs.
I was never asked how.

vince norris
Old April 30th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Ah, pre-GPS. In a time long, long ago in a land far, far away....

But you're right Vince, there were many flights using VOR even ADF at night
over very long distances that filed direct back then. Seattle to Tulsa
direct listening to KVOO/1170 all night long was one such trip. Denver to
Dallas on 970 was another. Yep, direct isn't only a GPS thing at all.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old April 30th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message ...
But with the GPS, I'm not sure how to
proceed. Should I just draw a straight line and file direct?

Yes. ATC doesn't care how you get there, provided you do it correctly,
as you file.

Even before GPS was ever heard of, I would file "direct" to Dulles and
DCA, ratehr than by airways, because I could do that using just VORs.
I was never asked how.

vince norris

Until Jeppesen stopped publishing them, I felt their VOR/DME RNAV
charts were the most useful enroute charts in existence.
They had all the VORs but no airways at all, and they had the right mix
of detail at the most useful chart scale for my taste.
I used them for more than twenty years, and I still yearn for them.

Old April 30th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

John R. Copeland writes:

Until Jeppesen stopped publishing them, I felt their VOR/DME RNAV
charts were the most useful enroute charts in existence.
They had all the VORs but no airways at all, and they had the right mix
of detail at the most useful chart scale for my taste.
I used them for more than twenty years, and I still yearn for them.

Why aren't they published any more? You must not have been the only person
who found them useful.

OSH flight plan Dan Luke Piloting 3 July 23rd 05 03:33 AM
Flight plan hell, Tales of filing an ADIZ flight plan Michelle P Piloting 30 July 15th 05 06:28 AM
IFR Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 9 September 16th 04 05:39 AM
Flight Plan and Flight Log excel spreadsheet. Marco Rispoli Piloting 2 January 14th 04 09:12 PM
Flight plan Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 15 October 11th 03 08:03 AM