G1000 no 3 letter identifier on ILS. Why?

Old April 29th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
STICKMONKE

Default G1000 no 3 letter identifier on ILS. Why?

The other day I flew an ILS into KCNO. The G1000 did not decode the Morse
code and the 3 letter identifier did not appear. I was not in IMC and I did
not manually listen to the Morse code. The ATIS did not indicate a problem.
The localizer and glide slope appeared good. My question. What are some of
the reasons to explain why I did not receive a 3 letter code? In actual IMC,
if I did not receive a 3 letter code, I would have manually checked the
Morse code. I know some probably always manually check the Morse code. Any
comments are appreciated.

Old April 29th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

STICKMONKE wrote:
The other day I flew an ILS into KCNO. The G1000 did not decode the Morse
code and the 3 letter identifier did not appear. I was not in IMC and I did
not manually listen to the Morse code. The ATIS did not indicate a problem.
The localizer and glide slope appeared good. My question. What are some of
the reasons to explain why I did not receive a 3 letter code? In actual IMC,
if I did not receive a 3 letter code, I would have manually checked the
Morse code. I know some probably always manually check the Morse code. Any
comments are appreciated.

First off, if you are receiving a three-letter ID on a US based ILS,
check the frequency you've dialed in carefully. It should be 4 letters.
All ILS ID's begin with I followed by three letters. Never trust
a NAVAID that's not identing.

There was a plane that crashed into a mountain on approach to KSHD and
the NTSB conjecture was that they were nicely tracking the nearby
Montebello VOR rather than the localizer. Fortunately, the GNS480
(and most likely the 1000) won't let you make that mistake. It
bleeps at you to switch to the localizer if you don't select the
right frequency AND switch the HSI to use it.
Old April 30th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 29, 5:03 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
STICKMONKE wrote:
The other day I flew an ILS into KCNO. The G1000 did not decode the Morse
code and the 3 letter identifier did not appear. I was not in IMC and I did
not manually listen to the Morse code. The ATIS did not indicate a problem.
The localizer and glide slope appeared good. My question. What are some of
the reasons to explain why I did not receive a 3 letter code? In actual IMC,
if I did not receive a 3 letter code, I would have manually checked the
Morse code. I know some probably always manually check the Morse code. Any
comments are appreciated.

First off, if you are receiving a three-letter ID on a US based ILS,
check the frequency you've dialed in carefully.

OP is flying a G1000, no freq dialed at all, you never need to touch
the nav freq or the OBS in the G1000.

-Robert

Old April 30th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 28, 7:51 pm, "STICKMONKE" wrote:
The other day I flew an ILS into KCNO. The G1000 did not decode the Morse
code and the 3 letter identifier did not appear. I was not in IMC and I did
not manually listen to the Morse code. The ATIS did not indicate a problem.
The localizer and glide slope appeared good. My question. What are some of
the reasons to explain why I did not receive a 3 letter code? In actual IMC,
if I did not receive a 3 letter code, I would have manually checked the
Morse code. I know some probably always manually check the Morse code. Any
comments are appreciated.

I never check the code manually in the G1000. Not sure why the ID did
not appear though. Perhaps the transmission of the code was weak?? May
want to try that same ILS again. Maybe it was a bug in the G1000.
We've found several small issues, most of which Garmin has issued
fixes for. If you can reproduce it, Garmin will take a look at it,
they're pretty responsive.

-Robert