Gordon Boettger 1000 mile attempt going on right now

Old April 15th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Gordon Boettger 1000 mile attempt going on right now

Minden to Kansas in a Duo
Noted on current post on Soaring Cafe:

His SPOT quit, but check out his path on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N55LK

Currently over Uintas at 25,900' with 19 kts up. Fun to watch the
trace on the top of the page and the altitude and up / down on the
bottom of the page.
Old April 15th 13, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:06:01 PM UTC-6, Bob wrote:
Minden to Kansas in a Duo

Noted on current post on Soaring Cafe:

His SPOT quit, but check out his path on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N55LK

Currently over Uintas at 25,900' with 19 kts up. Fun to watch the

trace on the top of the page and the altitude and up / down on the

bottom of the page.

Excellent! He just entered Colorado with an excellent tailwind!!
Old April 15th 13, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Looks like they have landed at the airport at Gunnison, Colorado. Fantastic flight, guys!
Old April 15th 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:10:12 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Looks like they have landed at the airport at Gunnison, Colorado. Fantastic flight, guys!

Great flight!
Old April 15th 13, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Apr 14, 6:11*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:10:12 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
Looks like they have landed at the airport at Gunnison, Colorado. *Fantastic flight, guys!

Great flight!

I'll second those motions... superb going. Even though the weather
slowed their planned progress, it was a great flight, one to be proud
of, and I'll bet they will be happy to warm up now that they are on
the ground!

Sure was fun to watch the trace as it was happening. Brought back
memories of last summer's 475 mile world record hang glider flight in
Texas. Watched that one on SPOT page to landing.
Old April 15th 13, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Gordon and Hugh! I got almost nothing done today! Good show, GREAT FLIGHT!
Old April 15th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Terrific attempt, but I've gotta ask some questions:

Did they expect to fly a thousand miles in daylight? I know they're
equipped for night flight, but I'd hate to have to land anywhere in Colorado
at night in a glider. Worse would be to bail out!

Were they counting on wave to carry them all the way from Minden to Garden
City? That sounds unreasonable to me and I'd expect thermals to quit before
sundown. Is the sink rate of the Duo low enough that they could fly at
minimum sink all night and hope to catch a thermal over the plains in the
morning? Could they keep each other awake?

Again, wonderful flight and I would have been amazed to see it work out, but
I just don't see how it would be realistically possible. Someone please
enlighten me!

Old April 15th 13, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, April 15, 2013 9:35:47 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Terrific attempt, but I've gotta ask some questions: Did they expect to fly a thousand miles in daylight? I know they're equipped for night flight, but I'd hate to have to land anywhere in Colorado at night in a glider. Worse would be to bail out! Were they counting on wave to carry them all the way from Minden to Garden City? That sounds unreasonable to me and I'd expect thermals to quit before sundown. Is the sink rate of the Duo low enough that they could fly at minimum sink all night and hope to catch a thermal over the plains in the morning? Could they keep each other awake? Again, wonderful flight and I would have been amazed to see it work out, but I just don't see how it would be realistically possible. Someone please enlighten me! wrote in message ... Thanks Gordon and Hugh! I got almost nothing done today! Good show, GREAT FLIGHT!

If they could've been about 3 mph faster yesterday they could've made it to the sangre de christos and presumable back up to the mid 20's at least, or potentially as high as FL280. Of course this would've been right at sunset, unless they could've been even faster. From there it is about 265 miles to Garden City, elevation about 3000 MSL. So you have to achieve a 53:1 glide to make it, which seems pretty doable to me with the kicking tailwind and a Duo. That would result in a pretty dark landing at Garden City, but there are lighted airports about every 50 miles along the way. If the wind is a bit stronger and the sink not too bad then maybe Dodge City is acheivable.

Old April 15th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Monday, April 15, 2013 10:56:43 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
[...]

There's a flight summary up on soaring cafe now. The long and short is that they did way over 1000K in really crappy lift. So, the scheme has obvious merit. Enjoy the retrieve guys!

My question: how does an average joe go about getting access to Class A airspace for flights of this sort?

T8

Did Gordon Boettger get in the air this morning? Gary[_5_] Soaring 5 February 26th 12 02:22 AM
Gordon Boettger bildan Soaring 2 February 18th 09 10:53 PM
Gordon Boettger's 2061km flight igc file available nimbus Soaring 0 May 21st 05 03:57 PM
Looking For Gordon Boettger P.Naton Soaring 0 February 29th 04 01:08 AM
Gordon Boettger Kizuno Soaring 0 January 13th 04 05:12 AM