finding canopy leaks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th 17, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default finding canopy leaks

After a recent canopy replacement (keep it latched on the ground if you don't have your hand on it!) I was dismayed to find that there were significant leaks while flying that caused both wind noise and a lot of unwanted cold air in the cockpit, due to the frame being a bit "sprung" after the repair..

I bought some 1/4" x 1/16 and 1/4 x 1/8 Poron weather stripping on Amazon to apply to the canopy frame, but how would I know where the leaks were, and if I had sealed them? I wanted to put on the minimum amount that was effective to avoid springing the frame more, and making the canopy difficult to close.

Enter the electric leaf blower. I taped it to the nose of the glider (Ventus C) over the air intake so that all of the air went into the cockpit through the vent. I then taped the exits at the wing box to insure an adequate pressure differential. With the canopy closed and locked, I could then feel along the crack for leaks from the outside and mark the bad spots with tape. Instruments were unaffected as the pitot and static ports were outside the cockpit.

After 2-3 iterations with application of the Poron foam tape in various thicknesses and places, I was satisfied I had sealed things well. A flight test that weekend including side slips and high speed flight, confirmed that there were now no leaks, noises or drafts from the canopy. A welcome improvement!

Of course, your milage may vary.

Matt

Aluminum top Cobra trailers leaks - how frequent? AK Soaring 2 March 31st 10 11:05 PM
Aluminum top Cobra trailer leaks - how frequent? AK Soaring 9 March 30th 10 12:44 AM
Oil leaks? John Doe Owning 5 February 4th 06 05:42 PM
finally go fly and now we freeze (172 air leaks) Mike Z. Owning 11 December 11th 03 05:22 PM
Observations about oil leaks Ben Jackson Owning 5 October 9th 03 11:03 PM