Neil Lawson and Accident Investigation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 12th 05, 11:26 PM
David Roberts

Default Neil Lawson and Accident Investigation

I have been upset by some of the exchange of 'views'
on this tragic accident. Many have already pointed
out that until the facts are known, it is dangerous
and irresponsible to speculate as to the cause(s).

I was not at Husbands Bosworth on Tuesday, but as BGA
Chairman I was phoned within a matter of minutes of
the accident, and I visited HB on Thursday - to host
a BGA VIP day which everyone agreed should go ahead,
not least because it was thought that that would be
what Neil would have wished. Our guests were unanimous
in their support and understanding.

The facts of this accident will be determined by the
UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch and their report
will be submitted in draft to myself acting on behalf
of the BGA, and considered by the BGA Executive Committee.
AAIB reports determine the facts. They do not apportion
blame, but they do make recommendations. Normally this
process takes a few months as there are witness statements
etc to consider and many other sources of the facts
before a report can be submitted.

I was at HB last Saturday (6th) and witnessed the finishes
on the first competition day. The competition organisation
had set a control point about 10km from the airfield
so that the final leg was in direct line with the E-W
runway. Without exception all pilots made a 'straight-in'
finish and landing without a pull up and circuit. The
airfield's only grass runway is about 1 mile long.
I was very impressed with the airmanship of all junior
pilots in their straight-in approaches, using the radio
to agree who was landing on which side when two or
more gliders were in close proximity. It was also noticeable
that the vast majority did not have excessive speed,
over and above that which is prudent when making a
final glide from many miles out and leaving enough
energy in hand to deal with a situation of possibly
not reaching the airfield in the last mile or two.
The maturity of the junior pilots' airmanship was in
contrast to some of the competitors at less elevated
contests I have attended over many years.

I have been informed, informally, that the same procedure
occurred on Tuesday, and that there were no 'beat-ups'.

Clearly I have more relevant information that is at
this stage privy to the investigation, and therefore
it is not appropriate to provide it in this forum.

So, PLEASE, restrain from speculation, and instead
pay tribute to a person who was a real gentleman, a
delight to know, and who was in my view one of the,
if not THE best photographers of our wonderful sport.
His legacy is the pictures he took and which encapsulate
the beauty of free flight. The loss of Neil has hit
the gliding community in the UK, and much further afield,
very severely. Our thoughts are with his family and
friends, as indeed they are with the pilot involved.

David Roberts
Chairman, British Gliding Association